1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ENGINE RUNNING indicator - WE NEED THIS!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Eisenson, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Coastal will eventually release its neat gadget, already shown on David's site, which indicates not only engine run but braking/regeneration.

Till then, I want to install a simple ENGINE RUNNING indicator. I was thinking of a resistor-isolated not-too-bright LED mounted in a convenient eye-level spot, powered from (for instance) the fuel pump line.

Any suggestions? Is there a thread on this somewhere that I missed?

2. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe I'm missing something but what's the point? Can't you already see that info on the Energy screen on the MFD?

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The ICE "runs off" sometimes; maybe he's referring to the equivalent of what someone called an animated engine icon. The idea is to know when the engine's turning even if it's not delivering power.How useful this would be is another question.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the MFD Energy display is not always an accurate representation of what's really happening. For instance, the ICE is always running at any speed above 41mph...but if your gliding or in "hyperstealth" it won't be displayed.

5. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your in stealth on the way down a hill, which I live at the top of a hill so this happens to me everyday, then you may feel the engine start up with a small jerk. Even then, I am still in stealth and 99.9 mpg's.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well a variation to what he is looking for like how about a gauge that measures the amount of regen being recovered. it would be similiar to the current gas mileage chart with its real time gauge. i dont see why toyota didnt put a charge meter also. that would be nice to see if there was a way to maximize regen charge and minimize friction braking somehow.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I, too, would like to see how much charge is going to the battery, be it from excess engine power, or from regen.

8. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In advance of tomorrow's Prius Club meeting, Coastal Dave and Kelley surprised me with a prototype of their new gadget, and it's terrific! Except for a minute of underdash backtwisting, installation was simple and easy.

The result was unexpected and extremely tutorial... the engine shuts off at the oddest times, and I'm losing far too much energy to heat (friction braking).

That indicator will change my driving style, increase my car's efficiency, and save a ton of fuel.

Thanks, David!

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    does it give a real time measure of how much power is being regen??

if so, i am very interested in one.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh you lucky guy....I'm so jealous. That's what I REALLY want....I hope they get the production model up for sale soon....for all the reasons you mentioned.

11. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It doesn't "measure" regeneration, just tells you whether you're regenerating energy or heating the brakes (totally wasted energy), or both.

And, it tells you when the engine's running - which I absolutely guarantee will generate surprises. I took it out again this morning and once again the ECU gave me serious instruction on how to save fuel! Dave Watson - YOU DA MAN!!! I'm writing to Logan to tell him you deserve a bonus.

I'll be making a geekmobile presentation at today's Prius Club meeting, and this little feature is rapidly moving to front and center.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    darn no way to hook an ammeter to measure regen and just add it to the consumption screen in a different color so we can compare it along with the car symbols that are already there.

having that measurement would answer the "B mode" question once and for all.

13. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    SURPRISE!!!

According to the ecoastal widget which monitors voltage to the fuel pump, the engine stops running at highway speed (60-70mph) when you take your foot from the gas.

"Running" means "consumes fuel". It may be spinning, but I'm not certain and the graphic of course doesn't say...

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What's actually involved in the installation? Dashboard disassembly? Tap into wires? How many? Remove any ECU plugs? Insert pin(s), as in the EV switch installation? Or what?

And what's the display look like and where does it go? How does it fasten on?

Thanks for anything you can tell us.

15. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's a tiny (fob-size) black plastic box with five LEDs, four green and one red (photo at ec website). Cable drops into the dash, then down by driver's left foot.

Remove the leftmost A/C panel (by now we all know these just clip out) and the left floor edge trim (even easier).

Wiring is easy: ground plus three (I think) leads. Two go to wires by the driver's left foot, under the edge trim panel. One goes to a plug between the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal, and even that isn't a big deal if you weigh 75# and contort for Cirque de Soleil. No pins this time -- Ecoastal provides neat little clips.

THIS LOVELY GADGET IS A MUST-HAVE!!!

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok well i knew that the Prius ICE shuts off if there is no need for it to run. that includes any speed on long downhill slopes for instance. just like the ICE will shut off when at a stop light for a certain amount of time, it will do the same thing when coasting. this is something i have experienced many times while driving the move hillier areas of WA (of which there are several!)

to say that the ICE always runs at speed above X mph is not correct since there are times when at freeway speed where the engine shuts down when there is no need for it to run.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ICE must spin above 42 (?) mph. It can be shut off and still allowed to spin, as has been repeated often.

18. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I see by the indicator that it's not getting fuel at, say, 60mph with foot off the throttle.

Is there something in the system (valve timing or whatever) that relieves compression to unload the system when it's spinning but not driving?

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    some people says the ICE spins at 42 mph or greater. i dont believe that though. that would seem to put undue load on the car, and my car coasts way too easily for me to believe that its turning a motor.

i still believe that the ICE shuts off completely just like it does when sitting at a traffic light.

20. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can it be disconnected from the transmission somehow when it's not in use and thus would spin without resistance? I can't say I know much at all about transmissions, so this is a tossup.