1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine running more

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by AnneN, Oct 15, 2022.

1. AnneN

AnneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 2013 Prius usually runs like a dream, getting 4.3l/100km, 54 US mpg/65 Imp mpg, would be very normal for town driving. Over the last week or so I have noticed that the ICE is running more frequently than it normally would. When waiting at a junction or lights it would kick in even though the battery is showing lots of bars and petrol efficiency is going down. I checked all tyre pressures just in case but they are all fine. All new tyres 3 months ago.

Serviced regularly, it is just about due an oil change. I regularly use an OBD with Hybrid Assistant, Dr Prius, Torque Pro and non show any error codes although as this is a Japanese import car I don't think the OBD can access all the codes.

Anything I should do/be aware of?

Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the miles?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. AnneN

AnneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    115,000 miles

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it would be timely to clean the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), not sure if it's related to your symptoms though.

Toyota has acknowledged it "may" clog up. There was a warranty extension, that requires the car setting either a code (for reduced EGR flow) or shaking at start-up. Problem being, by the time those symptoms manifest, it's likely too late. The usual outcome is a failed head gasket. Dealerships are not very receptive, will not clean, just replace (expense) parts.

Anyway, EGR cleaning info in first link in my signature. If you're viewing on a phone turn it landscape orientation to see signatures.

AnneN and bisco like this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I would assume temperatures are dropping in your neighborhood of the world now. IF I am correct, this would be expected due to that, and wouldn’t worry about it. Here in the Midwest of the States about 10 degrees farther South in latitude than The Emerald Isle, my 2022 (with barely 2000 miles on the odometer) is behaving the same way over the last week or so (temps are running about 10 degrees Fahrenheit to 20 degrees Fahrenheit lower than they were 2 weeks ago).

AnneN likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the weather is getting cooler, and you are using the heater or defroster to warm the interior, then the engine will run more often to supply that heat.

It can be quite noticeable.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

AnneN and CR94 like this.
  8. AnneN

AnneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you as always for your help. EGR has been on my mind as something I should take a look at. For whatever reason the car was back to its usual stellar self today - long may it continue!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. AnneN

AnneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes temps have dropped but not massively and I don't remember this happening last winter. It just seems odd that the ICE would come on as often at times when the battery is well charged - I am barely using the heating system. It didn't happen at all today!

10. AnneN

AnneN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I rarely use the heater, my car is like a fridge and no chance I'd need the defroster here yet. All back to normal today for whatever reason.

11. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You are probably aware of this but just in case: the ICE will run for various reasons including charging the hybrid battery; to warm itself up and maintain operating temperature (cycling to do so if need be); if the hybrid battery temperature reaches a high enough temperature then the ICE kicks in to minimize EV mode so the battery temperature stays within limits, and even if the hybrid battery gets too cool. It may even kick on if the 12 volt system is drawing a high enough load that the 12 volt battery is being called upon to help supply current so the hybrid battery can maintain its charge. In addition to all of these, there are other times the ECU is programmed to run it for what appears to us as mysterious reasons.
    Jumping into EGR cleaning simply because the ICE “seems” to be kicking in more often is premature (unless you are experiencing other issues).