1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine seized? 118k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jamesmlemay, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking I could put mine in his to charge it up but I'm not sure it would turn his over. I'm not sure just how dead mine is.

I believe if I had a timing chain failure then I would get more than the crank sensor code. I can feel compression when I turn it over with a wrench. I am thinking something is wrong on the other side of the motor

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The one way to tell what the voltage of the pack is would be to measure the voltage or have software like Techstream tell you what it is reading.

But my bet is the voltage is around 200 volts and that’s too low for either of the Prii to allow it to start the car.

As for other issues, if you can hand crank the car, the issues are elsewhere. But you won’t be able to figure that out until you can get the car to “ready”.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hand cranking is pretty easy. I used to do it all the time, checking valve clearances on our Hondas. Maybe take off the wheel too, for easier access.

I happened to take a look at ours when putting on the snow tires recently:

IMG_9575.JPG
    All our Honda's had a little opening in the splash shield at the bolt, this is a bit more hassle to access.

I checked socket size, it was 17 or 19 IIRC. Have lots of extensions.

Is there a preferred rotation direction??

#23 Mendel Leisk, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Montgomery likes this.
  4. Slider2732

Slider2732 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From a lot more of a layman's mind than the regulars here...
    I'm wondering if the car sat for an extended time before the auction. Enough for the HV batt to give this inability of starting the engine.

My input is that i'm from a decades worth of hobby RC NiMH use in model planes and cars. The several bars showing may well be correct for voltage, but there's no current. The car attempts to power basically anything and errors out.
    It looks likely that you'll have to do HV batt work anyway, I would check all grounding points, fluid levels, 12V batt health etc as preparation. Then try your friends charged up battery just once, to see if the errors are different. It may start up, stranger things have happened at sea!
    With a similar fail, you'll know there's more than a battery issue for definite.

Getting some juice in the HV batt is a must though.
    If it helps your fears, i've had batteries sit in planes for years and they come back after several short charges. We're only vaguely talking apples to apples though of course. As long as an NiMH doesn't have crusty white fluff rubbish around its positive terminal it'll come back fine. Low current charging always does best. Several, 20 seconds, short charges will see the 'dead' cell begin to charge.
    For the smiles, I have a 2006 Silverlit SWP micro plane which gets rejuved every couple of years for a fly and is why I like the cells in the Prius :rolleyes: The point though is it's better to have a flat NiMH pack than a flat lithium pack.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Clockwise is the rotation direction.

If there was a way to “safely” use jumper cables to hook the two hybrid batteries together at the outputs to charge the dead hybrid battery, that’s what needs to be done. But that’s just not possible.

However, if you measured the individual cell voltages, and paired a lower voltage cell with a higher one. Basically use the cells to create two partially charged batteries. Drive the Prius that will run with each battery to a higher state of charge, then put the cells back together in their original configuration.

It’s a lot of work, but it just might get your battery back to the point that it will start, or try to start your Prius again.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, people do that sometimes on here... But what are you gonna do if you drain your friend's battery pack down below what can start their car? Meaning, once you have a way to charge up your own battery pack, then you can safely test your system with theirs... But again, the issue is first the engine not starting, which caused the battery pack to drain out. Figuring what's wrong with the engine needs to be your primary focus!

7. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Ignoring safety I have built a universal battery charger out of a $5
    500 volt diode
    A pair of harbor freight battery clips
    A broken extension cord
    A broken 2 row power strip
    An old 100 watt light bulb and fixture

You need a 220 volt AC outlet and a multimeter

Wire a series circuit through the diode, lightbulb and into your HV battery
    plug her into 220vac and monitor main pack voltage, the lower the resistance the faster it will charge

Most of the junk I already had laying around
    So I only had $5 invested in the above and it charges fine.

Similar to this
    3 Dollar Battery Charger

If your poor and just need to partially charge a battery the above works fine, just observe common HV voltage precautions and watch the battery voltage to ensure you don’t overcharge

8. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't figure out what's wrong with it until I get the battery charged back up I believe. It seems as though I took owner ship of it with a dead battery. If there is no way to start the engine other than the battery I can't trouble shoot anything without it being charged. Is there a way to check if it's dead with my multimeter without opening the case?

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Techstream ;).

10. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At the inverter, you can, with HV gloves on, take the 10-12 bolts out of the black cover. Find the two wire connector. That’s the HV in to the inverter. Measure the HV input to the inverter. If the car won’t stay in/go in ready mode, you may need someone to push the power button as you are taking the reading.

11. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered a mini vci (ebay) to try and figure things out before I get too far. Thank you for all the help so far.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the other two codes toyota picked up? c1259 and p3147?

12. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could just get the Prolong battery charger. I think it's $350????
    Then you can put a full charge on it. And you can always rent it out to someone else who might need it
    for a fee and recover the money.
    That would be the safest way to do it. Unless you had it towed to a Toyota dealership so they could charge it.

13. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The important part of the P3147 is the sub code. It could be a poor connection at any one of the 6 wires (3 per each mot-gen) in the transaxle, the other end of the harness at the inverter, the transaxle damper, or the mot-gen could simply be mechanically unable to turn.

When I googled the P3147, there was a 115 page document that was in the results. It lists diagnostic codes that can occur in the Prius and likely causes.

It’s also possible that the codes are left over from a dead 12v battery. It might be worth while to erase them and see what happens.

It’s possible the codes are the only thing stopping the ICE from starting.

Robert Holt likes this.
  14. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    runs and drives in auction lingo simply means the car was able to move a few yards on its own. it could've been in EV.
    never buy auction car before checking it first yourself!

#34 jack black, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  15. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This may sound crazy but if you were really hard on cash... You could:
    1. Remove all the bus bars
    2. with some short jumpers with alligator clips connect all + terminals together
    3. jumper all - terminals together.
    4. wait a couple hours for the modules to rebalance.
    5. connect a 6v trickle charger to the now 28 modules connected in parallel.
    6. wait hours until its done?
    7. Remove jumpers.
    8. Reconnect bus bars.

If all the cells are good - this should work in theory but I've never done it.

If your charger charges to 7V the hybrid battery would be almost fully charged.

cnc97 likes this.
  16. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Connect mutimeter to output of charger to monitor charge voltage. Probably looking at 3-4 hours at a 2 amp charge rate.

mjoo likes this.
  17. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With them all charging in parallel @2 A that's 2/28 A per module which is probably low enough to not need a fan. But you may want to monitor and let the modules cool off if they get too warm.

Pixel XL ?

18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ummm.....there may be a bit of misunderstanding here, but 28 modules connected in parallel actually has a capacity of 6500mAh PER module. So 28 modules in parallel has a potential capacity of 28x6500mAh or about 182K mAh. So lets assume 3500 mAh per mod to get enough charge, is 98,000 mAh........A 2 Amp charge rate isn't going to get it done. Assuming equal distribution, that's about 71 milliamps per module. You wouldn't need hours, you would need days.....(that sounds so Star Trek)

And a 7 volt module is worth dirt. It's effectively depleted. The vast majority of the charge/energy is at and above the 7.2 volt plateau, hence why it is rated 6500mAh @ 7.2 vdc. It would need to get into the 7.6-7.7 range to even have a chance.

SFO and mjoo like this.
  19. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So charge them in groups of 4, at 500 mA per cell if the distribution is equal?

20. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 6v charger has a no load output of 7.8v on the 2 amp rate

mjoo likes this.