1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine seized? 118k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jamesmlemay, Nov 30, 2018.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you have a few days to spare go ahead and do them all at once like mentioned. Just make darn sure you hook all + together and put them on the red clamp,,,,,and connect all the (-) together and connect them to the black. Make absolute certain no + bare wires touch any (-) bare wires.

Distribution will be AFU no matter what you do, but it is what it is. Hopefully after a couple days it'll be good enough. This could be a great trial run..

If your charger maxes out at 2 amps and 7.8v, I doubt you can do any harm to the modules.

IF, IF, IF I were in this situation, and planned to try this, I would connect all the + together, all the (-) together, and then attach the red and black charger leads to the middle of each to help distribution. If I wanted to get real crazy, I would hook to the middle and each end..

mjoo likes this.
  2. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Adding 400 WH to the whole pack with a 2A charger like this when it's close to the bottom will take at least 60 hours. But the charging should get a little faster at higher voltage.

Pixel XL ?

#42 mjoo, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spend the $350 and get a proper charger for the hybrid battery, and do it CORRECTLY and SAFELY!

4. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the correct charger charge in the car or out. I'd hate to spend 400 on a charger to find out the car is junk. Got my cable in today so I will see if I can figure tech stream out later

Data Daedalus likes this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One way or the other, you NEED to test the battery, charge the battery, or attempt to charge the battery.
    If you have the charger you can charge it, or attempt to put a charge on it, safely. Then you will know if the battery is
    good or bad. And it you need to replace it, you can and have a running vehicle.
    Then you can either drive it, or sell it. It's worth more with a new working battery.
    $350 is a good investment because you can also use it on other vehicles with only having to purchase the harness.
    You can place it outside of the car I believe.
    Techstream won't help if the battery is dead. But doesn't hurt to try it, hopefully it will work and can
    tell you the state of the hybrid battery. But you still need to charge it to see if cells are bad.
    If you get the discharger with it, which is $300 more, you can run through the reconditioning cycles.
    Prolong says it can bring the battery back to life, for a while anyways.
    It depends on whether you and to keep the car or not.
    I think someone said you can have it towed to Toyota or someone that works on hybrids and they
    can charge it or recondition it for you. Either way, you'll need to spend money. So why not have
    they tools for your money spent? That way you can use it again, rent it out, and it will pay for itself.

#45 ASRDogman, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    mjoo likes this.
  6. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will... I also hope to find out more today with tech stream.

mjoo likes this.
  7. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tried finding the battery in tech stream. No luck. Any tips? I attached photos of the health check

Attached Files:

8. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    mjoo likes this.
  9. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have spent hours on google with these codes. LOL

I have not seen this thread though. I did check all fuses under the hood. None anywhere else. The car does have a couple of bars of fuel on the gauge but having never driven this car I can not comment on whether or not it is up to the acceptable level.

10. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't get tech stream to show any data list. There is also no freeze frame available as that thread shows.

Also with the ignition on, this car makes a constant buzzing noise by the valve cover. Normal?

Attached Files:

11. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you run a carfax? Was this car involved in a flood?

12. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I did run one. It wasn't in a flood on there. also has no signs of flood damage. If I remember correctly it was a one owner car until they ran into the issues last month

mjoo likes this.
  13. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Clear the codes and start over. See if the same ones come back.

14. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did clear them. It goes through clearing and the car clearly resets from the codes but then the tech stream errors out. They are back now either way. The software runs very slow and has an error when i try to log data.

15. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction - again, this means that something is causing the sensor's signal from getting to the ECM. Replacing the sensor will very rarely fix this issue - as the problem is somewhere in the entire circuit."

I found this quote in another forum. That is interesting. Could be a broken wire? Or something of the like....

16. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another charging option is to buy an adjustable ~200V DC power supply (I think I've seen these for ~$20 on ebay). Setting it to the same voltage as the battery, connecting an amp-meter and then connecting it to the batter, increasing the voltage until the maximum current is flowing for the power supply. Then once the voltage gets up to ~200V, set the open circuit power supply voltage for around 8V per module (I think this comes out to about 225V total) and let the battery charge overnight. Tons of risks if not done correctly - electric shock, or causing fires with overcharging, but if you know what you're doing it can be done. Certainly do your research and at your own risk! For me this would be preferred to needing to temporarily rewire every module and charge in parallel.

Definitely see if the engine will crank over by hand. Auto auctions may say "run and drive" if the car was able to move forward a few feet. This may have been by electric power only.

17. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can turn the car over by Hand. Just gave tech stream another go. No luck, it has an error when I try giving it commands such as run cooling fan. It hangs up on the last step of health check. And it gives an error if I try to view any data. I'm charging my 12v over night as the car was on and not running for about two hours today.

18. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thus, the danger of doing this, is very risky. You would have to watch it constantly. Unless you are very familiar with it,
    you could cause a lot of damage to not just the car, but anyone around.

Maybe, the 12v battery is too low and that's why you're getting errors? Maybe techstream can't retrieve the data
    because there's not enough power to deliver it? So charging it is a good idea.

I had the place I purchased techstream from install it by him logging into the laptop. It took him about two hours to get it working.
    Losedoz REALLY still sucks! I only use it for techstream and it won't be connected to the internet, there was no data on it, so I let him do his thing.

It does take a while to connect and get running once I connect it up. But after that, not so bad.

19. Jamesmlemay

Jamesmlemay Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am trying a different version tomorrow morning. The battery is a brand new bosch that I fully charged before trying it. Could be defective..

20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you can hand crank it. That should clear the issue of a seized motor.