1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Seized after oil change...filter fell out car....owner won't pay at all

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noillusions, Aug 14, 2007.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 17 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]497922[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe this is why the owner's manual says to check the oil level at every gas fillup. BE HONEST... how many of us do that? Be glad they don't recommend twice a week, my Prius will go over 2 weeks between fillups whereas my Sienna only went 6 days for same mileage. Maybe that's so you will notice that the 15 year old oil change kid didn't screw on the filter or tighten the drain bolt.

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(noillusions @ Aug 18 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]498375[/snapback]</div>
    and that jackass wants you to let him replace your engine in his shop... WOW

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

4. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Out of curiosity, how did you find out they put the on the wrong filter?

Also - the posts saying collect every detail are dead on. The more documentation you have on something like this, the better your position - and if they hit you with an unexpected question you'll look a lot better if you can answer it with the paperwork you're collecting.

Dates, times, names also help a lot.

5. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even prior to finding the mechanic used the wrong filter you had a very solid case.

Judges decide based on reason: It is unreasonable for any judge to assume you sabotaged your own car. It is unreasonable that some engine malfunction caused this.

The mechanic's best chance would be to ascertain that in 5 days you could have driven over some rough road that dislodged the oil filter or somehow caused this. Be prepared to say that this is absurd and all you did was drive from A to B and if it is the case, offer a witness to suggest that they drove with you the same or previous day and that they couldn't think of your driving off anywhere weird.

The judge would have had to decide which of the two was more plausible.

Now, be smart and take a photo of the WRONG filter on the car or some written testimony from another mechanic who found out.

6. noillusions

noillusions New Member

You guys have been great!

Well I am going today to find out today if he is indeed the owner. Then I am sending a certified letter for the bill.

He does not know that the wrong oil filter was put on (I found this out 3 days after speaking to him).

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back and tells me that the oil filter I mentioned isn't in his stock at the gas station.

So at this point I am only telling him in the letter that a certified repair toyota mechanic inspected the oil filter and it was cross checked and definitely is not compatible with a Toyota Prius. He can always call me for further info (if he responds at all).

7. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Professionals do make mistakes. And they are supposed to be insured in case of mistakes.

I had a really dangerous service mistake performed on my Ford Tempo. Remember, that was the car that convinced me the car after the next one would be a Hybrid for sure.

This car had a problem with overheating and quiting after an hour. With some detailed code reading, I determined the problem was low fuel injector pressure. So, I took it too a professional (a Ford Factory Trained Dealership Professional) to continue the diagnosis. The problem was intermitant, so it took hours to identify it. Hours a professional just could not spend on an inexpesive car like the Tempo. Well, he hemed and hawed and replaced the spark amplifier (I told him I did that already, besides the plug wires and distributor - which probably saved my life - read on!). No fix. So, I asked him to replace the fuel filter prior to returning it to me. He did. No Fiix.

During the test drive after I replaced the fuel pump, a fitting to the fuel filter came loose and sprayed gas all over the inside of the engine comparment! Luckily, there was no fire, or it would have been bad. About 1/4 gallon came out of the loose fitting before the car stalled out. Poping the hood I found the loose fitting, and snapped it back on. From that point on I had no engine problems with the car for the next 3 or so years I owned it ( I do not count continually dying alternators as engine problems, however). The last person to touch that fuel fitting prior to the near-death experience I had with it, was a Professional Dealership Mechanic.