1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine shake with P0A80

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by boshaus, Jan 4, 2023.

1. boshaus

boshaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius with about 130k miles that's threw a P0A80 code earlier this week. At the same time, the engine started shaking like crazy and making lots of noise. Here's a video I took:

After resetting the CEL, it seems to be running normal. It transitions from battery to ICE and back just fine with no major noises or shaking. Is there anything I need to be worried about?

I am planning to spend a weekend doing some maintenance that's due, including changing out spark plugs, cleaning EGR, and brake flush, but wondering if there's anything else I should be doing. If the battery light comes back I've considered doing a lithium battery pack, but worried about engine before I throw tons of time/money at this car.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The quickest thing I can tell you to do is you're going to be doing maintenance I'm assuming we're also talking about spark plugs while you have the spark plugs out touch your tongue to one and two see if you taste like all You can smell it too If you smell like all unplugs one and two you're headed for head gasket failure any minute That's usually what this stutter and shake is no matter what you did with the computer and reset whatever that stutter is generally a dead giveaway that things are on the move and starting to happen You're right around the mileage where a lot of these tend to do this so the cheapest way out is generally an engine and a transmission from the JDM importers about $1,400 delivered to your door but you'll get to that shortly You need to count on that because that probably is going to be in this car's future most people tend to get rid of them You can get this done for under $2,500 if you're frugal