1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine shake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Krisdonath, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Krisdonath

Krisdonath New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2008 Prius. The engine jolts or shakes when the gas engine shuts off. This happens typically when stationary. What could make this happen and how would I go about fixing it? Thank you for your help.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be motor mounts, or just in general need of a tune up

have you followed the prescribed maintenance?

nssdiver likes this.
  3. Krisdonath

Krisdonath New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have changed the plugs, the inverter pump, the water pump, the belt, all within 40,000 miles. Of course I change the oil and filters every 3-4 thousand miles. Am I missing something?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on the mileage. if you don't have a schedule, you can get one on toyotaowners.com

5. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought my engine would shake too much when starting and stopping. I examined mounts many times.
    When I replaced the battery it became slot more smooth. I can only assume the generator was putting slot of load on the engine so it was kinda a shock to the torque stopping.
    Not real sure tho.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Phaul80

Phaul80 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ive got a 2008, and when the "weird engine shakes" happen, i usually attribute it to poor fuel delivery. in particular, i have an issue with filling up a full tank.. i can get 5 or 6 gallons, and the tank stops the gas pump. anyways, i remove the airbox (6 or so bolts to undo) to clean the air intake and all the build up around that area. then i disconnect the 12v battery on flat ground, and let the whole car reset itself, but in particular the fuel tank/pump. this usually has the car running like a top again