1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Shudder w/ check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff O'Connor, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Severe ICE shudder, flashing check engine when ICE running, solid on when not. I have an appointment after this long holiday unfortunately...terrible timing.
    I've looked this up, and noticed it happens to folks here and there.

Just started last night, took it out today for another drive to analyze some more..Still doing it. Sluggish when giving it more gas, eventually revs up, and evens out a bit. Light keeps blinking still when ICE running, goes solid when ICE shuts down at a stop.

Is it safe to drive a bit like this, or should I avoid driving till my appointment?

Thanks gang.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Avoid driving, it sounds like the car is dangerous in its current condition.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How's the oil level? How's the coolant levels? How many miles on the odometer?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would certainly get a trouble code scan run on it. Some auto parts stores can do the basic codes but you probably need hybrid codes as well. Apparently not starting the gas engine very well would be my first guess. That can be any of your standard gas fuel air ignition issues as well as hv battery discharged or failed. How is the hv battery charge indicator? Very low and staying low? I would probably borrow or rent a car rather than drive this one much with unknown issues. Sometimes a local garage has hybrid knowledge and appropriate scan tools. Call around.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You are having a cylinder misfire problem. Could be a bad plug(s), injector(s), coil-on-plug or even a large vacuum leak. Maybe even crappy gas. But certainly, a misfire problem. Be aware that misfires that are significant enough to cause severe shaking and a blinking CEL are potentially putting enough raw fuel into the exhaust that it can damage the catalytic converter.

If you are unable to get codes read, you could probably just buy the cheapest model at Autozone, etc and it would work for you.
    If you dont want to buy/borrow a scan tool: If the spark plugs have more than 80k miles on them (assuming they are iridium/oem) and you're feeling mechanical today, I would probably start with those, as it's needed anyway.

I believe even a basic scan tool will provide the answer on this one.

#5 TMR-JWAP, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would avoid driving it but as others have mentioned check all critical fluids before taking it for repairs.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe they mention in the owner's manual, stop driving immediately if the check engine light is flashing