1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Sound - Wiper like sound from engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Optimistic, Feb 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Optimistic

Optimistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I was hoping to figure out what the problem is with my 2005 Prius before taking my car in for repair. The weird rhythm clock / clicking noise sounds like the noise in the below video. Similar to a back and worth sound almost like fast windshield wipers. I mostly notice it while the car is stopped in park (does not seem related to the wipers). It does not happen all the time but don't want to wait until a real issue or danger arises before checking it out.

weird sound front driver side 2005 prius 230k miles - YouTube

If you know what it is or have any ideas, please respond.

Thank you!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's one of the threads where we've discussed that noise before:

3 way coolant valve noise. | PriusChat

For more details on what's really going on, there's this one:

P1121 and inside the coolant valve | PriusChat

The valve shifts between different positions for pumping into the thermos, out of the thermos, or normal engine operation where coolant just circulates through the engine and heater. The valve has a position sensor that reports back what position it's in. Any time (any time, pre-start, post-shutdown, or while the engine runs), if the valve doesn't report being in the right position, the ECM will try to send it there.

If the valve position sensor is flaky, and never looks like it's in the right position, the ECM will be stuck sending the valve back and forth to try to find the right position. That's the washing-machine noise.

3. Optimistic

Optimistic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much! Looks like a great place to start. It was hard to describe that sound, a washing machine is not one I would have thought of. Will have to research if replacing the coolant valve will cover it. I actually had a coolant flush perhaps around the time the noise started.

Again thank you very much Chapman!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I was a kid, washing machines were pretty much all top-load with agitators, and there was a generic sound they kind of all had.

Not so much anymore....