1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Sputter at start for 15-20 seconds

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I did the EGR and intake manifold, I used one can of Brake Cleaner, a few tablespoons of OxiClean. I changed no gaskets; they all looked fine.

Just cus you have the cowl off, don't feel obligated to do the plugs while you're there.

Ditto for disconnection of coolant lines. A lot are saying you should do a coolant change at the same time. But really, it's possible to do a complete EGR and intake manifold cleaning without spilling a drop.

The throttle body can be just lifted off and tied to the inverter, or hood release bracket, with coolant lines still attached. Do clean the throttle body while it's off, with carb cleaner on a rag; it's the perfect time.

And with the EGR coolant lines: you do need to disconnect them, but if you first drain two liters of coolant from the radiator (into clean container), the level of coolant drops completely below the EGR system, leaving it high and dry. You just need to be careful when lifting off the cooler, don't tip it cus there's a few tablespoons at the back corner. Pour that into your previous coolant collected, and pour all that back into the reservoir when everything is reassembled.

#21 Mendel Leisk, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    dig4dirt and andreimontreal like this.
  2. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did a bit of reading around. As I draw a conclusion, this whole issue is caused by using Direct Injection in the engine? Which I understand 3rd gen is using?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, it's port injection. Our son's CX-5 has direct injection, which has me a little worried.

Second gens soldier on, for 100k's of miles. They don't have the EGR. Third gen's, with the newly designed EGR, have it clogging royally, somewhere between 120K and 200K miles. Regular as clockwork.

And the failing head gaskets around the same time.

Seconds gens maybe also have more robust pistons/rings. And the oil spec was 5W30. Third gen they try to wring a little more mpg, compromise the pistons/rings and spec 0W20, all with the aim to reduce friction. And it's maybe coming back to bite them.

dig4dirt and Grit like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe?!

Mendel Leisk and dig4dirt like this.
  5. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True violence starting in 3 ... 2 ....

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hesitate to ask what an Invalid Mode Rear Bleed is......
    But what is an invalid mode rear bleed....and is this followed up with a colonoscopy?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. andreimontreal

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bleeding the rear brakes without Techstream.

CR94 and The Electric Me like this.