1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine stops and turns on every 1-2 second in idle.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Anxiety, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Anxiety

Anxiety New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If my car is in park with A/C on while the battery is low the engine will kick on and off every 1-2 seconds. I should mention this is during a cold start, the car has not been on the road. I know the engine is supposed to turn on when it gets low but I dont think it's supposed to almost flutter on and off every second or two. Also the battery does not charge to full, it seems to sit around 2 purple bars.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Read the fault codes with a scanner that can talk to all control modules. Techstream is good/best and Mini-VCI is cheap way to get it but it requires a laptop.

Don't keep on trying to start it as you will just drain the hybrid battery and then you'll probably need a new one.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It'll do that at certain stages in the warmup process. Mine was after a very short drive, while waiting at a light, it would feel like the car was getting a light nudge from behind.

It sounds like you're in stage 3 when this happens. Here's an explanation:
    Gen3 warming up stages | PriusChat

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, this sounds more like a very weak HV battery that is continuously trying to start the ICE and failing. If so, it will weaken itself to the point that it will fall below minimum SOC. Lots of issues once that happens.

Codes/trouble lights?

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. Maybe I just misunderstood the description of problem.

If it works normally except engine just runs very often for short period after warm up that likely just a weak hybrid battery.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the car?

Mine started doing that 2 years ago no codes but battery was in purple lot more that in should have and would dive to purple in a drive thru.
    Was ready to fail.

This is stage 1 of hybrid battery failure. Since it seems like it has no codes have launched on the dash or mfd it is recoverable by buying a hybrid battery charging system. It works very well. I am on my second
    Year of prolong charging and battery 100% better.

If you don’t the battery will fail soon fail then car is undriveable and then it’s a lot of hassle and $$$ getting it removed rebuilt reinstalled and most rebuilds are just temp. New dealer battery installed is $5000 I asked mine last week that’s the quote I got and I bought the car new from then 12 years ago. A poster here sells a great alternative for $1600 that’s all new battery’s they ship you and u install them.

Go to your local Toyota dealer and ask service advisor how much and how long for a brand new hybrid battery installed out the door. I am very curious. My dealer is ridiculous and they have a waiting list too.

Use the Search forums. Tab up top and search the word Prolong

Prolongs website is. Hybridautomotive

Many times folks just dump the car on Craig’s list or trade it in.

If you recently bought the car that’s why it was sold. Dead battery.