1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine struggles when battery is half full

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ejcabotaje9, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ejcabotaje9

ejcabotaje9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if anyone else's Prius do this, but when my battery is half full i notice that the engine struggles on acceleration. Also the engine sounds really loud and rough (also present during idling). When the battery is full, everything runs fine and it the engine idle sounds quieter. Could there be something wrong with my HV battery? I mean, i don't even have any warning lights coming on or anything.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you also finding that the HV battery will quickly lose charge and quickly top back up again? You accelerate and it drops one, two, three bars, you ease off and they top up again?

3. ejcabotaje9

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    actually no, my battery does not do that. it takes a bit of time to charge it and it does not really drain that quickly either. it's just when the battery is in half full the engine is a bit loud. btw, i have a Gen.1 prius. so far it's been running fine.

4. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 1 MFD display of battery State of Charge is pretty pathetic. Try watching SOC with a Scangauge Xgauge as you drive the car, ideally in reverse up a long hill...if the SOC moves quickly, your hybrid battery is on it's last legs.

5. psymon100

psymon100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds weird. I have an NHW10 prius and it doesn't do this.
    I know it costs money but it might be a good idea to get someone to have a look at it. In New Zealand I use a guy who only services hybrids. He picked up on many things that were not right with my Prius including wrong spark plugs, wrong air filter. It runs very quietly now and it's a 1998 dont 115K Kms.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

6. ejcabotaje9

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, thr rough engine problem went away after filling it with premium gas. @3prongpaul, I did try your method and boy, the battery did drop down quickly. I only have 70,000 miles on my car so is the hv battery still under warranty so they can put a new one in? A little bit dissapointed on how the battery is like this. How can i maintain the longevity if I were to replace a new hv battery? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if HV battery is suspect and still under warranty, ask the dealer to test it...then at least they'll be a paper trail that you had concerns at 70k.

Some dealers may even change it out under warranty as a goodwill gesture...has your MPG been dropping? If MPG went from 44-45 to 37-38 it's often the result of a bad HV battery..

Another thing that can help rough ICE running is a thorough cleaning of the throttle body....usually you don't need premium gas in a Prius....maybe you just got a bad batch of regular?

8. ejcabotaje9

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its strange because my mpg never drops down below 40. My range has always been 45- 50. Nevertheless, im still gonna get it checked out. Thanks!

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What about the 12 volt? Is that an issue on the gen1 like it is on the gen2 & 3?

When was that last changed? It's a cheaper option to try before having the HV replaced. Just a thought.

10. ejcabotaje9

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12 volt isn't really a problem. I just had it changed as well about a couple of months ago.

1 person likes this.
  11. uspset@pacbell.net

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to just butt in, but; this is my first time and I don't know how to start a new HELP THREAD; I am having the same similar problem. 2002 Prius, My battery indicator drops very low when I am idling, then engine struggles for a bit, but then recovers and I am good to go.
    I took it to the dealer and they said that without an error message they couldn’t find a problem. 1 month later of the same, I finally got an error warning light, which always happens when you are on the highway in the far lane, unable to get over. I got the car to the dealer, who said code indicates either the inverter or water pump. Suggested that I pay 5 hundred for the water pump, because it is cheaper than the inverter. It has been 10 months and now the car is doing the same thing. Today the battery indicator went to totally full and the Yellow Turtle light is on. I was not far from home, for once.
    Can someone advise me; my car has 170k on it. I love my car.

Signed
    Sad to have to let it go.

12. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am not an expert but, it sounds to me like the traction battery is getting weak.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is it pumping water or not? They have to mean the pump for the hybrid cooling system. You can look at the reservoir next to the inverter to see if coolant is flowing when the ignition is on. The fluid level should be raised at the front of the tank where the return hose attaches, and show a step down by about an inch if it is flowing well.

It would help if you could get the dealer to tell you the codes and subcodes they read from the system, and post them here.

-Chap

14. uspset@pacbell.net

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for the answer, it took me a while to find my thread. I should have indicated that I did have the water pump repaired. But, the problem continued, while idling in a line at a fast food place or in heavy traffic, the battery indicator would drop very low and the engine would not kick in unless I turn on the air condition or I start driving. Then the battery indicator would charge back up. Last week, this happened again while waiting for a light to change, once I started the battery indicator crept back up till it cover the whole indicator, then a yellow turtle came on with the check engine indicator. I limped home 1 mile and got it in the garage. Later that day I turned on the car and I got the same warning lights and battery indicator is still high.

I am so sad.

15. ejcabotaje9

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It does sound like your hybrid battery is going out....have you heard of re-involt? They can get you a new battery pack for way less than the dealer. Also if you could find a local mechanic in your area that fixes hybrid would be another great option.