1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine suddenly revs on highway

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by toyotahoya, Mar 12, 2018.

1. toyotahoya

toyotahoya New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We own a 2010 Prius II with about 40K miles; it's used almost exclusively by my spouse for stop and go commuting to work. I drive it occasionally, usually on the highway. The last two times I've driven it on highway(both in the past month), the engine, never very quiet anyway at highway speeds, would suddenly rev very, very loudly in the middle of the drive. This occurred on flat stretches of road, and I was just trying to maintain 65-70mph. I first noticed it when I attempted to engage the cruise control, which would not engage. And by suddenly, I mean that, on level ground at 65, with accelerator depressed to maintain speed on relatively level ground, the engine began revving much much louder than usual. No tach on car so can't give RPMs. I drive this car only occasionally and only occasionally on highway, but don't recall this being an issue in the past. My technical skills are very limited, and it's not my car, so any insights are appreciated. It's been a good car for us-bought new-and is only hybrid we've owned. No apparent issue with unusual revving in city stop and go driving.
    Thanks.

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if you were in B instead of D? Cruise control will not engage in B, plus if you lift off the gas pedal, it will rev loudly...

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've noticed odd rev up, in the first few minutes after start-up, after the 12 volt battery had been disconnected. Like the car's doing some recalibration. In your case, not sure.

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  4. toyotahoya

toyotahoya New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure, but will watch for that, and make sure vehicle is in D, not B; thanks for the insight.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Strange combination of symptoms. Once the engine warms up a bit, it will run harder for a while as it puts charge back that it borrowed from the HV battery during warmup. But that won't keep the cruise from engaging and it really shouldn't be that drastic of a noise increase.

As for B mode, I don't ever use it, but I seem to remember experimenting with it and could not go directly from P to B. Had to go to D first and then B, so if my memory is correct, it would be hard to got to B accidentally. But that would explain the cruise control and might explain the engine revving.

If you are keeping a steady pressure on the throttle, though, the engine should run at a steady speed. Or very close to it even as it transitions from one warmup stage to another. I think I'd get professional help.