1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Swap - change transmission also?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by artc, Jul 18, 2017.

1. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2008 with ~290k The engine is starting to go through oil at greater than 1 qt/1000miles. Car is cosmetically in good shape (interior is great, exterior is good). Needs a new CV joint (looks as though the booty was torn off at some point) and the 3-way valve to the vacuum bottle, coolant change, oil change - all of which come free with an engine swap. Using a <100k mile pull the cost for a swap seems to be about $2k.

For just the cost of the part, about another $300, I can change out the CVT (it has to be pulled and re-installed as part of the swap, so no added labor). Any opinions on whether that's worthwhile?

This engine failure in a Prius is pretty well known - it's all over the forums. There don't seem to be any similar threads all about transmission failures (I'm sure there are some but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule).

If I don't replace it now, the labor on just a transmission replacement is $1000, so $300 now, or $1300 later - but, of course, that's only if it fails. Probably expect to drive another 50-100k+ in the car.

Thoughts, opinions? Thanks,

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely replace the transaxle while you are at it.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the history on changing the fluid in the transmission/transaxel? If there were regular changes, about every 60k, you might consider keeping it. If not, I would definitely change it. Personally I would change it regardless, as 290k is a lot of miles for any transmission.

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, I would also change the transaxle when you do the engine swap.

5. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses. Any reason to buy the engine and transaxle from the same car? I can get the two together from a 2008 with 105k. I can get an 80k engine with that 105k transaxle for the same price. (Just thrown a curve by the vendor, no VIN for the 80k engine, so I either have to take his word for the 80k or buy something else...)

6. artc

artc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    from here: VIN number on engine? | PriusChat

Every car leaves the factory with a tamper proof VIN tag riveted to the engine.

Can anyone verify this and point me to the location so I can check on the car?