1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine swap (not prius motor)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Nopho4u, Feb 20, 2019.

1. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    heh.. yes I know, just for the life of me ive said engine for cars.. these damn hybrids confusing folks with engine and motor, but I am still speaking on the engine... not motor...

I changed the head gasket before I was aware of the piston issues... that's the thing... yes, they have chronic [puufs then passes] head gasket issues and I feel its related to a lack of frequent oil changes and flaws in motor...

Right now im almost done with the m20a-fxs swap, was hoping it would be less involved or a way where an owner can create a Frankenstein with old Prius motor and new 2.0l... the jury is still out

2. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    update:

I had planned to use the v cvt with the new lightened flywheel and LSD, but then I found out about the new eaxles and the new toyot/lexus motors I had to stop all and research the new. made me pause on motor swap especially since I realized without having a stock Prius motor start with no codes... even abs... you'll never be able to get a swapped motor to function properly or inverter or CVT for that matter. the whole full cycle mg1/mg2 larger motor for larger battery round robin trip checks and balance dance... is a trip.

heck, i was discussing hiccups on getting this oem gen 3 motor in my car and the thought of bad abs booster you'll never be able to get through the other system checks....:: facepalm ::

that said, I'm still working through the hows on being able to use somehow the new tech in older cars, even if its just using prius prime or lexus gs450h inverter or one of the new ones with that they are calling a booster... yeah. where the inverter can in short bursts deliver more power to that of an eaxle, or say the add-on rear electric motor to make awd a vehicle that didnt come from factory awd... only prime prius and plugin have enough juice, well prime only and plugin when using prime parts to power an electric rear motor. this is why i tell people plugin and prime is what to buy, especially now. the new phev will have the phev "coding" integrated into the main hybrid system versus now they are separate and the extra ecu isnt full so you can add more ecu variables that are missing from the car ecu that is on the new motor... no need for piggyback and to start only added, didn't change, the whole multi ECU checks and balances dance I haven't started yet. these days the minds of knowledgeable Prius shop owners and others have grown and let's just say, the collective minds have all began to think about this project and donate theories of what to be used and checked before the first turn-on... the cvt changes in the gen 4 underneath helped a lot for those who know what I'm referring to. but all say it should work the way I've planned it, might not even need to touch ecu(far-fetched wish ECU is as smart as I think it is) but gotta wire up first to get there.

I am about to finally bleed the system after a long journey of m20a in and out of car to align to cvt, that's done and dandy. the motor mount to the body didn't have milled out but the designs done. got into ecu just didn't sit and wire harness manage to the connectors. have notes of all and now that the new booster is in the car and needs to have no codes and be driven. I was given a donor gen 3 and a warehouse to work out of so that madness begins to put the m20a in a car I don't daily and work on Baha style fully adjustable suspension to go low enough for the canyon roads(all terrain tires always stick) and high enough to traverse rocky mountain sides. lmao! so stay tuned.

That's for all you folks that wonder how itll be done...