1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine swap... now showing check hybrid system on dash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ava C., Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ava C.

Ava C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

I purchased a 2010 Prius this past summer unaware of the nightmares that this car would unravel (replacing the head gasket and finding out the O2 sensor is off by a tad). The car had 185,000 miles when I purchased it. In early October my engine block cracked (190,110) which resulted in an engine swap! Thankfully I was able to find someone who could do the engine swap for me for way less than what I was quoted at two different mechanics, I purchased the engine which cost a little over $1800. The mechanic was able to do the swap but today, when he attempted to power on the car the "Check Hybrid System" warning came on. Is there a way to either reset the warning or to reprogram without taking the car into the dealership?

Thanks!

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You need to sync your new engine to the car. The old engine is out of bluetooth range and the car thinks that you have no engine!
    OK, just a joke.
    There must be a way to reset the check engine code, but I don't know how.

Mike

Ava C. likes this.
  3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two ways to do that:
    1. Either disconnect any of the positive or negative battery terminals and leave it that way for 10min, then you reconnect back.
    But notice this procedure won't clear any red triangle light though( check hybrid system)
    2. If you have access to a code reader, you could clear the codes with that too.

Did he ensured that all connectors related to the hybrid system were connected back after the swap?

Ava C. likes this.
  4. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Has the car been sitting unused since October?

Original HV (high voltage) battery that you know?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Check Hybrid System" won't be about an engine trouble code (unless it would be P3190 or P3191, indicating trouble getting the engine to start or run). It could be about any number of other conditions affecting the hybrid power and control system. It could be related to any number of things that could have been disconnected, nudged, or disturbed during the engine swap. The reason could turn out to be something quite simple, but that only happens once it's been found.

I know it's been said over and over again that the way to start troubleshooting any issue like this is to get the trouble codes from the car's computers that will reveal what they are trying to tell you about. But the reason it's said over and over is because it's true. Trying to guess, you might fix the right thing by dumb luck, or just guarantee your nightmares continue through 2020.

The trouble codes that matter are probably going to be in the hybrid control ECUs, and many ordinary trouble code scanners will not know how to ask for them. The best bet is to have the codes read using Toyota Techstream, which is what a dealer would use, though a lot of people on PriusChat find it useful enough to run on a spare laptop and not have to depend on a dealer for basic information any time anything goes wrong.

dig4dirt likes this.
  6. Ava C.

Ava C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Technically yes, the last time it was on the road was in early October but I believe that the car was driven briefly at one of the mechanics for the diagnosing. I am not sure of the condition of the HV battery, I was not given any paperwork for the car at the time of purchase. But I would guess it is original.

7. Ava C.

Ava C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I found out the 0
    The mechanic is positive that everything was connected but he is going back to check to make sure that the system is connected. He was also going to have someone come out to give a hand/ second opinion.

When I found out the O2 sensor was off when it came to an accurate gas gage read, the "Check Hybrid System" came on. Its all very confusing to me, I hope it will be an easy fix but fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed that it will work itself out.

#7 Ava C., Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2020
  8. Michael48

Michael48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same issue after I replaced the engine in my 2012. Everything was hooked up properly that I could see. Turned out that the main orange connector was in place but not snapped in correctly. All it took was seating the connector fully and snapping it ALL the way.

Bbonez and Mendel Leisk like this.
  9. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m having the same issue currently. I ran techstream but it couldn’t connect with most of the man systems. How frustrating . The engine does sound pretty good when it turns over but won’t stay running I get 5 codes from a generic OBD2 reader

Attached Files:

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you ever posted a Techstream screenshot showing the systems it can/can't connect to?

Your generic OBD2 reader isn't showing all of your codes. Your brake ECU is showing C1259 and C1310, which means there are codes in the Power Management Control ECU, and the reader isn't showing those.*

But it is showing some communication network codes (the U codes). Plus the whole fact that Techstream can't talk to everybody is like a great big red blinking communication network code.

It might be worth your while to get to the bottom of the comm issues. You can find troubleshooting info in the "CAN communication system" section of the repair manual (and you probably don't want to wing it without; comm troubleshooting is fiddly enough even with good information).

I think you'll find tables in that troubleshooting section that will suggest the likeliest places to jump in based on what comm codes you do and don't have, and also which ECUs Techstream can and can't see.

* Just to keep things disorienting, if you had a Gen 2, the P0343 code would be from the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU (that generation's equivalent of your Power Management Control ECU). There was a Gen 2 thread about that code just recently. But that same code, in a Gen 3, comes from the ECM.

#10 ChapmanF, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  11. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh sorry that’s from before the engine swap. I borrowed a scanner from auto zone. It was a readout from their scangauge. I borrowed so I didn’t want to take a chance driving it . I have a couple of techstream shots. It is actually the first time I used techstream after a whole night of figuring out how to actually download a functioning copy. I have totally overestimated my ability to navigate the tech.

Attached Files:

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about the system select screen showing which ECUs it can and can't reach?

13. christian cox

christian cox Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’ll hook it up and see what comes up .