1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine teardown video - 300K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by OC63RAG, Oct 7, 2021.

1. OC63RAG

OC63RAG Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AlexY, SFO and nemebean like this.
  2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Clogged oil rings and blown head gaskets. How ironic that the hybrid components are more reliable than the engine

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lasted 300k, then this. May have just been it’s time but … The devil is in the details. Was it one owner or a new owner who thought that it had lifetime oil or the PCV never needed a look see? I’ve known people who babied a car for more than a decade then gave it to a kid who just drives it into the ground. A $30 oil change is a needless expense when it would otherwise buy seven mocha lattes at Starbucks.

4. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Frequent oil changes could save sludge and tarnish. On the other hand after 300k mi and 60 oil changes paying $40 each would cost $2400. You can buy another used engine and install it with this amount. I think Toyota engineers suggesting an oil change every 5k miles found the sweet spot between cost and benefit.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I pay $30 from local Toyota dealer for oil and filter. If I didn’t do it according to recommended schedule my bet is the Prius engine my not last 100k. I knew a guy who never changed his oil on a Dodge Colt. He just added oil occasionally. The car lasted three or four years.

6. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It wouldn't have made a difference

7. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The funny part about the Colt episode was that the guy was surprised when the engine seized. I’ve known other Colts over the years when they were sold that lasted a long time. Oil changes matter. Back then there were no synthetics either. Just 10w30 conventional mainly.