1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine temp sensor replaced- coolant top off

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ChippyDiesel, Jan 31, 2018.

1. ChippyDiesel

ChippyDiesel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So replacing the engine temp sensor on the prius is no fun. I managed to get the old one out and the new one in with unbolting and moving out of the way: the breaker/relay box, the wiring harness (which I tore up pretty good), and the coolant tank. This gives you access to the sensor, although I had to use pliers and an extreme level of patients as this was an adult game of operation due to the minimal space.

At any rate I got the new sensor in and everything buttoned back up. My question is regarding the topping off of the coolant. I keep reading about bleeding of the system but that all has to do with the flow regulator (or what ever its called) which is mounted toward the bottom of the vehicle. The only coolant that drained out of the system came from the top end which makes me think I can refill the coolant without bleeding the system. Thats what logic tells me at least, top it off, let it sit and air work its way out of added fluid, and should be good to go.

New to Prius and this forum but have plenty of experience working on my Jeep Cherokee- so much easier to work on.

Would love to hear your opinions.

RCO likes this.
  2. ChippyDiesel

ChippyDiesel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I didn't mess up any wires BTW, just some damage to the wiring harness plastic housing- which is way over engineered IMO.

3. ChippyDiesel

ChippyDiesel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I was really looking for some advice on weather I need to bleed the system or not. Guess I'll just top her off and cross my fingers. Thanks prius forum for all the feedback

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and welcome to Prius Chat. I'm sorry nobody's got back to you and I don't know the answer myself. I'll ask a couple of members if they can suggest something for you, so hang around for @Mendel Leisk and @bwilson4web to chip in.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. ChippyDiesel

ChippyDiesel New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks RCO. I really think I'm safe just filling the system a bit at a time between starts. Gravity should be my friend in this circumstance because the top end coolant was the only part of the system drained. The bleeding of the system, from what I've read, has to do with the control valve unit which is mounted at the bottom of the coolant loop. This was all to get rid of a pesky check engine light before I sell my Prius to the next lucky person. I'll report back with my findings and will provide more of a write up on the actual sensor replacement.

RCO likes this.
  6. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome sir, we look forward to your report. The forum always appreciates information feedback.