1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine temperature gauge and tachometer

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by GA_Prime, Jan 25, 2017.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect that 'car enthusiasts' is a much smaller demographic in general than it is on PriusChat.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pretty much every car used to have a functional, linear coolant gauge. I wonder was that due to legislation, or it was just expectation, either manufacturer or consumer? D_u_n_n_o.

Geo Dude likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am old enough to remember 55 gallon water barrels placed on uphill roads to replenish your radiator. I am old enough to remember canvas bags perched in front of you radiator to help cool it. It really wasn't THAT long ago that cars overheated regularly. Thankfully, those days are gone. (unless you are driving a Nash Metropolitan)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/2BEAAOSwhOVXfJ52/s-l1600.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I kinda remember those, but had no clue, maybe an inkling it was for cooling, and an equal one that folks just wanted plenty of water on hand, lol.

Reading up a bit, guess it was both.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So I checked the coolant temps (scanguage II) on my Prius v that uses the engine/coolant as heater core, and with the climate system set at Auto 69F (34F outside) the fan did not blow any air over heater core until the coolant reached 100F. Second level of fan speed just after 110F, third level just after 120F, and forth level at +130F. So I think Auto does a good job at keeping no air going over the heater core.

How do I check heater core temps in the Prius Prime?

6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First to respond to the initial question in this thread
    No the Prime doesn't have coolant temp or tackometer gauges
    Jimbo explains why toyota chose not to include a tack below
    I couldn't read the description on the Y axis even after zoom in so I looked for other clues in the the graph and descriptions. There it was in the graph title "bsfc comparison" and here's a good description of what bsfc is. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-1109-brake-specific-fuel-consumption/ by Jim McFarland

With Prime besides the typical engine coolant heat source, there is also an electrical heat pump. The Prime computers blend the use of both ( depending on a bunch of variables both from the cars sensors and the options chosen by the driver).
    Posted to the best of my knowledge currently. Corrections gladly accepted...