1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine to inverter shows charging on monitor but battery bars are dropping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hootywho32, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a note but it would help if you don't keep quoting everything in every post because it gets very hard to read after a while.

The way it loses SOC so quickly and never charges it almost makes me think there is a short in the system somewhere bleeding off all the current being generated (ie possible inverter, tranny or battery pack issue). I would probably start with the battery pack and load test the modules, then once you know those are good you can move on to the other items. Also sounds like the throttle body is shot, I would replace it as you mentioned you were going to.

2. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were really losing current in a short something would be getting hot and making that burnt electrical smell.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is a weird problem, can you just do this for me? Check the interlock on the battery (see attachment step 9 paying special attention to step 9 (c).

Attached Files:

4. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I replaced the throttle body. the same code is still coming up p2102. still loosing SOC. where do i go now any suggestions.

5. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This what was done before my problem according to the service records they REPLACED SOP EVAPORATOR, NO INTERVAL MAINTENACE DUE, 19 POINT FLUID AND VISUAL INSPECTION, 90L PEDAL MOD AND REPLACE AWFM - TUNDRA AND PRIUS, REPLACE THE HV ELECTRIC WATER PUMP - PRIUS, C0T INSPECT BOLT HOLE AND RE PLACE BOLT ONLY - PRIUS

6. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Here's the diagnostic tree for the code, follow it and it should solve at least the P2102 issue.
    http://tinyurl.com/l9qbcq9

Here's the possibilities:
    1) Open in throttle control motor circuit
    2) Throttle control motor (sounds like you did this already)
    3) ECM

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

8. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, here is what I have found I can trick it to charge. I have my wife in the car and start it hold the gas pedal to the floor. I turn the throttle by hand just open a little, it starts charging. But the engine is running really rough and shaking during this process. 186,000 miles

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not understand this.

If the Prius is READY then the engine ECU is controlling the throttle motor. Under those conditions you should not be able to rotate the throttle plate by hand.

You normally can rotate the throttle plate by hand only when the car is IG-OFF.

10. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When MG1 kicks in it shakes and wants to die and sometimes does. but i play with the idle to keep it running with MG1 engaged and it charges. It acts as if the MG1 tries to engage but puts to much strain on the engine and it just about dies. so it disengages and it throws the code p2120.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "MG1 kicks in" mean? MG1 is at all times connected to the engine via the power split device.

What does "play with the idle" mean?

You need to follow the troubleshooting tree provided in post #26 to figure out why the engine throttle control is not working correctly.

12. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The load on the engine will dictate a certain throttle position and it sounds like you throttle position solenoid isn't working as it should be for some reason (hence why playing with the butterfly plate manually works somewhat). I'd still suggest using the diagnostic tree to solve the code issue first.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, that explains it, thanks!(y)

14. hootywho32

hootywho32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok everyone Problem solved. I decided to change the engine computer. after eliminating the other 2 possibilities. so I started unplugging it and low and behold looking me right in the face was a bent prong where the dealership had bent it after putting in the evaporator. So I thought hey I will bend it back and see what happens. put it all back together and wallah I have Gas Pedal response. everything is as good as new. Thank you for all of your help. PRIUS CHAT is the Greatest here are some pics.[Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1403607091_e460875938ad02447082f36fad078a1d :D:ROFLMAO: [Broken External Image]:https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1403599727_d0650672a18762e797b7a25447b418d3

alexeft and usnavystgc like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its good that you found that bent pin.

Now that the engine ECU is controlling the throttle body motor properly, I think you will find it is not possible to rotate the throttle shaft while the Prius is READY.

It was a big clue that you were able to "play" with the throttle plate while the Prius was READY - showing that the engine ECU was not properly connected to the throttle motor.

17. MTL_hihy

MTL_hihy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, gotta like it when you solve tough ones like this, congrats!