1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine turns ON while breaking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Piotrus Pan, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all!
    I have this strange thing, I noticed it couple of months ago. It might have started after software update done by Toyota service.

While I'm breaking and the battery is not full, the engine turns on for 2-3 second (revs once) and turns off if I'm still breaking after that time.
    This happens only at 70km/h (~43miles/h).
    When the battery is full and the car is breaking using the engine it also revs the engine once at that exact same speed and goes back to normal.
    Any of you have the same? Is that normal? Cause it's a little bit annoying.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Any time the Prius exceeds about 70 km/h, the engine has to run to prevent bearing damage to Motor/Generator1. If you brake at exactly that speed you may trip the engine until the car lowers the speed. Under some circumstances, usually involving long steep descents, the engine may run as well acting as an air pump (rotating but not using gas) If you live in a mountainous region it may be trying to slow the car that way. (if you press harder on the brakes, does the engine get faster and louder?)

3. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Any time the Prius exceeds about 70 km/h, the engine has to run to prevent bearing damage to Motor/Generator1."
    Yes, I know that but in my case when I'm going down hill 90km/h and break, the engine turns off completely. When I decelerate to 70km/h it turns on again and quickly turns off if I'm still breaking.

"(if you press harder on the brakes, does the engine get faster and louder?)?
    Only if the battery is full but it will still rev the engine when decelerating at 70km/h.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Have you replaced your 12V battery? When it starts failing, some very strange problems have been reported.

5. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Last year I had an issue cause it got drained, not sure how but it fell to 10,5 or something. The car started after that and I did 2500km in two days driving home and the battery showed 12,9V. I'll go check with a multimeter right now to see.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If the battery is full, the engine will start.

If the engine is being used for braking, the engine will start.

Both are normal behaviors. That's part of the hybrid system. It knows what needs to be done to ensure longevity of the battery and to optimize for efficiency. At times, it does seem counter-intuitive those. The behavior will alter a little as the battery ages too.

7. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    12,6V with car OFF, 14,3V when the car is ON. After 20 minutes the battery went to 12,9V with the car OFF.

8. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well it's really counter intuitive. When I'm going down hill breaking and the battery is at half charge, when the speed is between 90km/h and 72km/h the engine is off, when I'm still slowing down and hit 70km/h the engine revs up and turns off.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's normal. A full battery is not... which is why the engine is revving, to consume the excess electricity. Too much shortens battery life.

10. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    12.6V after the car being shut off overnight should be OK; anything lower probably means you should be budgeting for a replacement.

I don't recall anyone else reporting the issue you're describing. You might ask your local Toyota service manager if a similar issue has been reported and what steps they would take to correct it.

11. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I know that too but the revving occurs also when the battery is anywhere in between full and the last 2 bars. So for example I can have 3 bars of battery and it will still rev while slowing down at 70km/h.

12. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    See, the problem is that I have really shitty Toyota services near me. One wanted to change my timing belt which I don't have, one gave me an oil leak and the last one they got angry at me cause I brought my own oil (I don't have the possibility to do it myself).
    Maybe I'll try to contact someone from Toyota over internet.

13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you're braking at 90 km/hr, the engine can't "turn off completely," in the sense of stopping. Although it's not burning fuel in that circumstance, it must keep turning to avoid overspeeding one of the motor-generators.

I've noticed the engine briefly consumes fuel when it starts turning when the car coasts from a lower speed up to a speed above about 70 km/hr on a downgrade. Then fuel flow quickly stops again (although the engine continues rotating). I assume it does that to make the transition seem a little smoother than it otherwise would feel. That's almost the opposite of the behaviour you describe, decelerating though the same speed.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why do you feel there is a problem?

15. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When I decelerate and go through 70km/h, when the engine revs the whole car gets jerked forward.
    I wouldn't say my area has mountains but a lot of medium hills so I get this quite often.

#15 Piotrus Pan, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems odd, i don't ever recall that happening.