1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Under Panel removal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh the days I would do my own oil changes ... I'm happy now , my dealer "gives"
    $ 10.00 synthetic oil and filter changes , as long as I own the car .....
    Thanks for the photos

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also change mine hot. I plan to change mine this weekend and will have to try removing the fill plug before removing drain plug the way Tumbleweed describes.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Picture's fixed.

(Wasn't pretty, and there's about 5 jillion extra attached images, but it works...)

spiderman likes this.
  4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Nice tip, Mendel.

I replaced my damaged (oil change "flap" broke off a few months ago) engine under cover last Monday when I did an oil change. Even with an updated cover (-12105), I will always remove the entire cover for future oil changes (I only do two a year - one in the Spring, one in the Fall). The new cover is still kind of flimsy, so I don't want to spend another $200+ on another one.

As mentioned in a different thread (can't remember where), there are two "hinges" on the cover - one for exposing the oil pan and filter, and another towards the front of the cover running the entire width to expose most of the engine. This second "hinge" explains why there are six 10mm bolts holding the front edge of the cover in place, and clips everywhere else.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tumbleweed,

I removed the fill plug before removing the drain plug this time. I did notice a higher flow but not significant. It did feel like the oil pan did drain quicker, especially the last small stream.

Dwight

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used to, but of late I haven't bothered removing the oil filler cap before draining the oil. Not for any particular reason, just because it would be out of my way to do it. The oil still comes out fine, I don't think it really makes any difference. If anything I want it to be slower when first pulling the plug away, but don't think it is any slower.

With transaxle fluid changes you definitely want to at least crack the fill plug before proceeding though, just to make sure it's doable.

mtbiker53 and jdcollins5 like this.
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I just loosen the oil fill cap to let some air in, but I don't take it all of the way off, just in case some debris happens to blow by (damn landscapers!!!)

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I always remove the entire panel, so I can inspect everything to see if anything's going on under there. I use ramps and drive the car high enough to level it when doing a trans fluid change. After removing the trans fill plug, I unscrew the bottom plug and hold it against the hole to control the flow of the old oil and ther's hardly any mess after doing the drain this way. ;)

Mendel Leisk and jdcollins5 like this.
  9. bounce88

bounce88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I would've known the splash guard is a design flaw I would've gotten it replaced earlier. Just when my warranty expired the guard broke off. I contacted Toyota and they said if this happens to more Prius owners they will reimburse and or issue recall on this. I've already created a case with them and advise everyone who has similar issue to do the same.

10. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    can you give me the part number for this engine under cover? when i google what is in the picture, nothing comes up