1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine up in smoke after headgasket replacement, what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Priipriii, May 13, 2023.

1. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So there I am, just finished plugging in all the wires, all the hoses, etc. Confident the engine will run smooth as butter, NOT! The moment i turn the car on in park, i get a rattle sound worse than before. I have to shift to neutral and the engine sounds sort of ok, but i leave it running for 5 seconds and I get white smoke coming from behind the engine. This has to be coolant correct?

I am not sure where I went wrong. I made sure to tighten the head bolts to 30 lb torque, rotate 90 degrees, then another 45. I made sure timing belt is right spot, even took pictures through the entire process. Can it be i might of plugged a hose wrong? I dont think so, i made sure to double check all my connections. This really sucks, to do all that work only to have the car running worse than before and the engine might be completely destroyed if i leave it burning water any longer.

Where should I even start, do i scrap it and replace the engine, or take everything back off and try again. It was a pain in the nice person. Might it be the new headgasket? But for it to start doing that the moment i turned the engine on, i dont know. I know i had to sand parts of the engine block down because the old headgasket leak caused an uneven tear through the top and bottom block, i sanded it a bit to smoothen it out, but it was pretty minor in my opinion.

I tried and i failed and i dont know why. Right now i just need ideas what is causing the smoke, maybe that can point me in the right direction. It seems to be coming from the exhaust, at the connection to the engine. Thoughts?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Behind the engine" like out the exhaust, or "behind the engine" in the engine bay?

A friend of mine once drove a Civic with a bad head gasket for a while before fixing it. Just called the car "Puff" for the white steam out the exhaust.

After the repair, it took a decent amount of driving for the exhaust to stop making steam, just from the coolant already in the pipe and muffler.

3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Replace the engine based on the pictures of the head gasket and engine block that you posted in this thread, https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/238985/

When you have a head gasket that fails between two adjacent cylinders like you had, the alumminum engine block gets a groove eroded into the block and probably also on the aluminum cylinder head.

It's time for a replacement engine. tapatalk_1684031519860.jpeg tapatalk_1684031529637.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 Brian1954, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  4. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Behind the engine in the engine bay, under the hood. I looks like its coming from behind which i assume its the exhaust but i didnt confirm for sure since its hard to see where exactly its steaming from.

Yes thats exactly what i think it might be too. I could feel it with my fingers the groove it dug inside both the blocks. I tried to sand it to make it smooth, and i know its not proper way of doing it, but to sand the entire block at once is unfeasible for the tools i had at hand. I thought it might be minor enough to have the engine at least run for a few good hundred miles before it starts destroying the gasket, but i guess not.

Im gonna drain the oil and make sure i didnt mix up a coolant hose with an exhaust hose or something, as im praying its a silly mistake. Otherwise im afraid id have to look for a new engine to replace this with.

5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Prii where r u located

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's clearly a catastrophic groove... Very impressive and not the good kind of impressive... I wish I knew the specific individuals most responsible for everything they did wrong for Gen3 Prius after the perfection of Gen2. If I knew who those people were, I'd make sure to troll their every message on social media forevermore.

Priipriii and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was running behind the '09 or so Yaris yesterday on my powersports machine My motorcycle this Yaris was running 100 mph for nearly 45 min non stop look to be about in the same shape as my 300K mile gen2. I think I'm going to grab one for my daughter versus a Gen 2.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with the others. Sounds like it wore a groove in the block and/or head. Both would need to be machined and that messes with the compression ratio, not to mention all the work of pulling the engine and putting back the same engine. Bummer!

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You go to a glass shop and get a thick piece of glass cut to a size a little bigger than the head gasket. Then you glue on your sandpaper. Lay the glass across the top of the block and move it in circles until you can't see any mark.

Then you lay the glass on a flat table and put the head on it and work that surface.

It'll probably be the most boring, manually repetitive eight hours of your life, but that's how you grind one more-or-less true for almost no money.

mjoo and jerrymildred like this.
  10. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, did that on a Subaru. It works, but takes time. I had to pull the engine to do it.

WD-40 is the lube of choice, not water. Spray on adhesive to get the wet dry paper to stay put. Start with 240 or so, work up. Also useful to have a very good straight edge to make sure that your pattern of movement is not causing low spots. If you get your pattern right, you will rapidly see the low spots on the head and block.

For my Subie, I filled all the meaningful passages with cloth wads, then some grease. To prevent the grit and filings from the sanding from getting into the internals. But I also had the engine out, so I could invert it at the end and let stuff flow out with cleaner.

You cannot sand out imperfections in a block or head. You MUST use either a milling machine or the poor mans replacement -- a flat thick sheet of glass.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mad Max machine shop high-five.

It makes sense that you'd have to pull the engine from a Subaru given the horizontally opposed configuration. In a Prius you'd have (barely) enough room to do it atop the block.

Good note on the prep and cutting lube.

12. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Decking a block with a sheet of glass. (me)

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In the video, you can see the engine stand wobbling. Each stroke of the glass is leaning the block a little bit up into the glass at the end you're stroking away from. May explain the dishing.

14. OptimusPriustus

OptimusPriustus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why that guys let it woble. Even if it’s not wobling the outer perimeter areas get cut more than center when sanding manually

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Long story short: let a machine shop handle it?

douglasjre and OptimusPriustus like this.
  16. cdherman

cdherman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that is an answer -- but in the case of the subaru engine, you have to split the engine to put it on a mill. Splitting a boxer is essentially a full rebuild.

Just as is the case of many shade tree mechanics, there is a sort of economic and personal triumph associated with achieving acceptable results under less than optimal conditions!

Said subaru engine in the video is 5 years out, 50k miles down the road and still going. THAT defines success.

17. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I used to rebuild Kohler boxer engines without even pulling them out of the machine. Piston ring crankshaft etc. Just pulled the heads off and did it all right there. I guess we were lucky we weren't dealing with warpage back in those days

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First engine I rebuilt was a 57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser V8. It was worn out and burning oil. I was a teenager working in our family's garage. Most of what I knew about mechanics came from car magazines. The counter guy at the auto supply asked if I wanted undersized rod bearings - I said sure give me the next size along with rings, one piston, valve guide seals, carb kit and gasket set. The new rings, piston and valve seals went well as did the carburetor overhaul. All bolts were simply tight. Warped heads and blocks were not a concern in those cast iron days but you could easily blow a hole in a piston.

However the assembled engine was locked up and wouldn't turn over no matter how hard we tried. Eventually we figured out you don't put undersized rod bearings in there without corresponding machine work, so we tore it down again and installed standard rod bearings.

Success? No, while it would rotate by hand, the starter would not turn it over. In fact, all it could do was barely operate the solenoid. After a few days of the parts cannon, we towed it out of the garage to a literal shade tree. Finally someone pointed out the ground strap had to be tied to the engine. Ran fine after two teardowns, the parts cannon and some electrical 101 training. However weeks later it was replaced by a 1964 Comet Caliente convertible with the latest in audio, a stereo fm radio.

#18 rjparker, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
  19. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So a little update, i started my engine after a month of it just sitting in the garage. Turned out its working fine again. I did not do anything to it since last time, so i have no idea how it fixed itself. Perhaps fuel line wasnt pressurized, excessive coolant leaked from teardown inside pistons, or maybe restarting the cars computer accidentally after having the battery dying fixed the issue.

So dont give up hope and just let it sit for a bit before completely giving up on it. I was really considering just getting a whole new engine to switch with. But i guess i did everything right despite reusing some of the O rings (not all, just the ones that werent overly smooshed) and i also reused all the headbolts. I did measure their thickness to make sure they werent too stretched out and they seemed good to me. Wasnt going to risk buying new bolts that might not even fit or be cheaper quality.

Very happy about this!

20. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Keep us updated. Sanding that groove out and succeeding has to be a first.