1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine vibration and loud noise at traffic jam and low speed.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ohid, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read some threads in PriusChat on weired engine vibration and loud noise at very low SOC. When hybrid battery reached its minimum threshold soc ( in my case 39.6%), engine started automatically as usual. But sometimes not always when car in the traffic jam and HV Battery reached to 39.6% charge, engine started automatically with unusual loud noise and high vibration. This happens only in low speed or traffic jam when HV Battery doesn’t have enough charge.

I read on some threads where some people tried to clean EGR system, intake manifold and even replaced them with spark plugs, coil, injectors but results was temporary. No permanent solution they got.

Is anyone solved this issue permanently?

N.B: No codes, No signal in the Dash.

Car run fines with great mileage.

Your valuable inputs are highly appreciated.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles?

3. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Its 103k km i.e., 73k miles. Its Prius v 2015.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Head gasket?

5. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vibrations can come from a lot of areas....be sure to check your engine mounts and get underneath and check all of the suspension, too, as well as tires.
    My son-in-law had a horrible vibration in his 2008 Corolla and, after inspection, I discovered one of the front tires was WAY out of balance so we think one of the weights must've fallen off. Got it re-balanced and good as new!

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Debatably not overdue for EGR cleaning. When you say “EGR pipe”, you mean just that short pipe between EGR valve and intake manifold? If so, I would not hesitate to clean the rest: the EGR valve/cooler assembly, and the intake manifold (has crucial EGR passages). More info in my signature.

I wouldn’t completely discount head gasket issue though: the carbon build in EGR is gradual, gradually compromising its function, not fine till 100k miles, then suddenly a problem.

I have to choose my words carefully: it’s my unproven suspicion carbon clogging of the EGR is a factor in head gasket failures.

You say it runs rough when hybrid battery state of charge hits minimum? How rough? Our 2010 seems to be a little noisier than usual when that happens.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pinging because of low battery contribution and carbon buildup in the cylinders. Probably burns oil as well.

9. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I didn’t clean egr cooler. I cleaned all the four egr ports of intake manifold. When I cleaned egr pipe, it was not much carbon buildup. Only a little thin black carbon layer inside the pipe. So, I think I would do that cleaning one year later.

One thing also discouraged me to go for egr cleaning now. Some said they did all these cleaning including egr cooler but problems persists. Even one person informed, he replaced egr cooler, egr valve but vibration still persistent at low charge (2 bars).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    No oil burning. How to protect carbon buildup in the cylinders. It is only happened at traffic jam but not all the time of traffic jam.

11. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes its smooth as usual, sometimes it seems hitting metal-metal for few seconds with shaking, sometimes its bit louder with vibration.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not good.

Something to keep in mind: carbon-clogging of the EGR circuit can lead to head gasket failure (unproven theory on my part). If you're having symptoms of head gasket failure, cleaning the EGR then will not reverse the head gasket failure.

Again, your miles are quite low still, but again, I don't see the EGR clogging, and it's effect on the head gasket, as happening overnight, at some particular mileage, say 100k. I'd say it happens gradually, and the point at which head gaskets fail can vary.

Boroscope inspection of the cylinder interiors with the coolant system pressurized (looking for coolant leaking into cylinder) is a good test. Also consider leak-down test, where air pressure is applied to the cylinders, one at a time when they're at top dead center of compression stroke, with a special set of gauges. Competent mechanics do both tests; they are a little tricky for DIY.

Ohid likes this.
  13. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will search for competent mechanic to do that.

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Unlike most of the people around here I have seen this before. It is pinging, otherwise known as preignition. In a conventional engine, it is carbon buildup in the cylinders leading to higher compression ratios. Combined with low octane gas that previously was fine, you get pinging. In a Prius the same factors are at work but the hybrid system depends highly on electric motor torque at low speeds for acceleration. So when the bars are very low and you have carbon in the cylinders, you get pinging. When the bars are higher, no pinging.
    A new hybrid battery will solve it. High octane gas will probably reduce it or eliminate it. Cleaning the combustion chambers including the exposed valves and surfaces might help. I just replaced the weak hybrid battery and the behavior went away.

#14 rjparker, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  15. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    My hybrid battery performed just fine. Last week made tour of 960 km with just a full tank octane. My one is Li-ion battery of Japanese 7 seater. I usually got 28-30 km/l in the Highway.

16. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Carbon buildup, low octane, low battery. Pinging.

17. Ohid

Ohid Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    low quality octane?

18. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It might be good to run a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner in the gas tank and give her an Italian Tuneup. Years ago, my mother-in-laws Avalon was only 3-4 years old but wasn't running very well, just didn't sound right. She let me borrow it and I got it up to operating temps, went on the highway, and floored it a few times. Ran MUCH better afterwards.

Ohid likes this.