1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine warm-up tricks

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 26, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

The technical challenge is to get the engine heater to 70C, the threshold that allows 'hybrid mode' operation where the engine shuts off when it can.
    [​IMG]
    On the first, cold-soak start, it took six minutes to reach the hybrid threshold. During this time, the engine runs constantly burning gas the whole time. So there are multiple approaches to shorten this interval:
    • block heater
    • thermistor spoof
    • driving the warm-up control laws
    • air inlet block
    As pointed out, the 1.5L engine has a port on the top of the engine block on the firewall side for a block heater:
    [​IMG]
    It is the second most difficult place to reach either from the top or bottom. I found it a a little easier to put the car on ramps and reach up to insert. Just put the thermal grease on one side so air can escape out the other. It is a miserable job but once done, lace it and plug-in when needed.

My experience is about 30-45 minutes on mornings with temperatures of 40F or lower, saves about about 1-2 minutes of the 5-6 minutes of warm-up. It is significant but above 40F, the effects rapidly fall off. It does heat the top of the engine block but not hot enough for the car to drive off in 'hybrid mode.'

BTW, I also tested a transaxle heater but found they were not reliable. The wires soon broke so I don't fool with them any more. The advantage is a warmer transaxle has lower, internal friction, less drag.

Another approach is to 'spoof' the thermistor so it reads 70C. The problem is spoofing before it reaches 35-40C can lead to engine stalling out. However, there have been at least three such spoofs:
    1. diode, resistor, switch - when the blue coolant light goes out, flip the switch, but remember to turn off when you park.
    2. transistor circuit - I don't have the schematic but one waits for the 40C point and then drives a latch-up to shift it to 70C. It would be easy enough to tap the coolant lamp and switch in the spoof drive transistor.
    3. microcontroller - my approach, NHW11 Prius Temperature Hack, but others have done the same with common microcontrollers.
    The third approach is to realize keeping the engine 'off loaded' as much as possible during the warm-up AND rolling works almost as well. So in the winter, I change my route to drive through the neighborhood:
    [​IMG]
    So when I back out the driveway, reverse turns off the engine. Then I turn to descend, slowly a shallow grade with the shifter in "N". Cutting through the 25 mph neighborhood, I take every opportunity to shift into "N" so the engine runs in idle most of the time. But there is a less well understood warm-up, the catalytic converter 'light off.'

During the first 50 seconds, the car does everything it can to use traction battery power instead of engine power. I have accelerated to 35-40 mph and seen the ending, instant MPG reading nearly 50 MPG. Then shifting into "N", it pegs the MPG. The engine still has to complete the 4-5 minute warm-up cycle and shifting into "N" during this time absolutely minimizes the engine load and fuel burn. The trick is to park near the parking lot exit so the car can get on the cross street on traction battery in the 50 second window.

The most important infornmation is to know the current engine coolant temperature and that takes some sort of OBS scanner or tapping into the thermistor circuit. Either works and then you can make informed driving decisions.

Don't forget to put an air inlet block in the front fender. Because I was not driving high speeds, I kept my split, water noodle in all summer and had no problems with over heating. But I was using my wife's 2010 on the A/C days this summer. In earlier years, I keep the radiator inlet block in until the coolant temperature reaches 92-94F and then toss it in the trunk until the Fall.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

robert mencl likes this.
  2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bob: Can you track overall segment mileage during the warmup?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bob, I'd say 30-45 minutes of block heater use will only bring the coolant temperature about halfway up the slope to plateau. I like to ideally use ours for 2 hours. I'd say the last half hour of that is leveling out. I can tell the difference, say if it's only had an hour hook up. Fast idle is a little more strident, the feel is different.

If ambient temp is say 20C, after 2 hours block heater use the ScanGauge will show around 45C at start up, and just with the process of backing out and driving about 100 yards to the first significant stop sign, it'll be over 50C, and (as often as not) the engine will stop at that sign. Still obviously not fully warmed, but well on the way.

BTW, is this with your 2010? You mention 1.5 liter engine.

We got ours put in at time of purchase, by the dealership. And really got hammered on the price. I just wanted to have it all done. But just wait till next time. ;)

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Up until at least 2010 it seems, PC contributor FireEngineer was coordinating install parties. I don't know if he still makes house calls these days, but that was about the best imaginable way to get it done. If I recall correctly, he did the work from below, and he makes it look easy.

-Chap

5. robert mencl

robert mencl Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Mendel, this is why here in Maine we like to use as powerful an element as possible...the lower the amperage the longer time to warm the coolant, and the *more heat lost to the environment*.
    The energy needed is not great if we can put the heat where it is needed and do it at a rapid rate.
    In one diesel tractor I have multiple frost plug heaters directly in the coolant, high in the block. current draw is high, but Kwh used is actually less than for using an element of low capacity, and I can fire up in 10 minutes in winter. It's a different purpose, but similar. I'm thinking we should be able to electrically preheat our Prions in 10 minutes or less.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is specific to our 2003 Prius. The 2010 has much better warm-up control laws. Although we never had one, even the NHW20 is better than our 2003.

Bon Wilson