1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Water pump needs to be replaced??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PRwanting, May 25, 2013.

1. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I went to Toyota dealer today for regular oil change and they told me my "Engine Water Pump Needs To Be Replaced". They quoted me $420 for the entire replacement. Is that a fair quote? Wasn't there a water pump recall?

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The recall was for the other pump, in the inverter loop. The engine water pump is known to dribble a small bit around the shaft. If you are not seeing any significant drop in coolant level, or seeing any drips under the car, then it might be OK for a long while. They are keen to offer this service if they see any signs of dried coolant.

It can be difficult to completely purge the engine coolant loop of air, even the dealerships have to try twice sometimes. If you do decide to have them change it, take that into consideration. There are posts with advice on how to do it here on PC. It is otherwise an easy mechanical swap, something I would DIY.

Also, I and others (for ex. Hobbit) consider that the serpentine belt tightness spec is excessive, and that may be why the shaft seals on the pump are going out so soon. I backed the belt way off on mine a while ago, and have no slippage or performance change as a result.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, internet issue. 68843 miles.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for your reply. Any chance you can give me direction on how to back off the belt. Also couple of days ago when I ran the AC for about 1.5 hours I saw some water dripping under the car.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's condensation from the a/c, as it dries the inside of your car, removing it from the air. normal.

8. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are inverter pump and engine water pump same thing because I know that inverter water pump is covered under Toyota's extended warranty.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No. The inverter pump is electrically driven. The belt driven engine water pump isn't.

Per Advice Needed | PriusChat, there are four coolant pumps in the Gen 2 Prius.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are not the same. as nh7o said, the inverter coolant pump is covered under a recall, no cost to you, and you should get that done. if your car required it, they should have told you when you were there. they get paid by toyota. perhaps yours is not on the defective list? engine coolant pump is not covered. if you need one, you will have to pay. you may not need one, but i would shop around and get a second opinion.

11. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I'm going to Meineke on Tuesday. I've been going there for almost 4 years now and I'm good friend with the main mechanic. How do I prevent future damage to the engine coolant pump?

12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are some good videos on youtube, search for Prius GenII serpentine belt. I believe the excess tightness is a main reason for the shaft wear coming sooner rather than later.

Otherwise, just changing the coolant will be all that you can do extend the life of the pump.

13. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

To loosen the belt did you just loosen the 14mm bolt that's right in front of the pulley or you loosened the 12mm bolt that's on top of the small pulley? Also did you loosen the bolt for the small pulley or the big pulley?

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you looked at the engine coolant pump to confirm that it actually needs to be replaced? It is not impossible that the dealer service writer will tell you that the pump needs to be replaced, without having good reason for that advice.
    I would be cautious about loosening the serpentine belt tension if you are unclear about what constitutes correct tension. In brief though, you need to loosen a nut to allow the idler pulley to be adjusted, then adjust a bolt that moves the pulley up and down.

15. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I haven't but I'll take a look at it today. What the dealer said is this- "The water pump is making too much noise. It needs to be replaced before it causes too much trouble".

16. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright I looked under the hood and there seems to be some sort of liquid (assuming water) under the serpentine belt and right on the splash shield. I'm assuming the dealer is right. The pump needs to be replaced.

17. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look around the ICE water pump/drive belt for pinkish "pepto bismo" residue. If you don't see pepto, you should be ok. The pink coolant Toyota uses is designed to chalk up when it leaks and leave visual clues.

18. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I checked again today and couldn't find any sort of liquid residue at all. I'm wondering if there was liquid residue due to heavy rain yesterday. The engine is making a lot of noise though which is caused by the water pump according to the dealer.

19. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The pinkish stuff on the water pump looks like this:
    [​IMG]

If you don't have the pepto you are probably ok, unless you hear a loud bearing etc. Get a 3-4 foot hose and carefully hold one end near the pump when engine is running (be very careful of the belt/pulley) the other near your ear...if the pump has a bad the sound will be obvious as you move the hose around the water pump area.

80% of my customers tell me that when they go to the dealer for the "free" inverter coolant pump recall the dealer tells them they need to replace the ICE water pump too, at around $400. Needless up-sell by the dealer? Or do they really need it? Best to get a second opinion.

BTW, any decent shop can change the ICE water pump, it's very similar to Corolla/Yaris/Scion. Hardest part is refilling the cooling system--you need to open the bleeder screw with 6mm hex wrench on drivers side of radiator or it will take forever.

20. PRwanting

PRwanting Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah I'm taking it to Meineke tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help so far.