1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine wiring harness safety recall (model year 2016–2018)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JosephG, Sep 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The top pictures in section VII on p.11 of the recall document show another area to look at, which is on the underside of the wire bundle.

#101 UltraJetRefill, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wrapping tape around it is of course the Toyota cheap way. I think they should also put some type of rubber padded sleeve on top of the tape.

The dealer won't even talk to me about it, unless I walk in there with a recall notice.

3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The tape isn't "cheap" - $22 for a roll on EBay, though maybe can get it cheaper? Wiring harnesses are always wrapped in tape - but not of this quality.
    upload_2018-9-18_9-34-44.png

Starship16 and UltraJetRefill like this.
  4. prius_deep

prius_deep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well unfortunately the recall is only looking at the bottom of the wires, but people have already posted pictures of damage to the TOP of the harness.
    Wonder how the dealers are going to handle that(clear damage), which is not where the recall told them to work(look) to get payed ?!

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It "appears" that the wrap will go entirely around the cable.
    upload_2018-9-18_14-6-17.png

krmcg likes this.
  6. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone followed the instructions to remove the fuse, I clip the part & look underneath the wire harness to inspect? I am not sure if we can see it from the top without taking the parts off.

7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a look at the instructions ... I suggest you DON'T do it. Unless you're covered in one of these categories:

The repair quality of covered vehicles is extremely important to Toyota. All dealership technicians performing this recall are required to successfully complete the most current version of the E-Learning course “Safety Recall and Service Campaign Essentials”. To ensure that all vehicles have the repair performed correctly; technicians performing this recall repair are required to currently hold at least one of the following certification levels:
    • Expert Technician (Hybrid)
    • Master Technician
    • Master Diagnostic Technician
    It is the dealership’s responsibility to select technicians with the above certification level or greater to perform this recall repair. Carefully review your resources, the technician skill level, and ability before assigning technicians to this repair. It is important to consider technician days off and vacation schedules to ensure there are properly trained technicians available to perform this repair at all times.

Be patient - wait till the dealership does it, worry free, with the bonus that you'll be alive at the end.

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Especially since the instructions indicate damage elsewhere is not covered under this recall.

alanclarkeau and Starship16 like this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has anyone received this latest recall in the mail?

Has anyone had the other recalls corrected yet? TidelandPrius posted the detailed instructions for replacing the passenger side airbag. Man, that's a LOT of work! Complete removal of the dashboard. Removal of the center console? Removing pieces of the front door frames?

I never even had the parking brake clip installed. It works fine. And I'll never exit the car with the engine running.

And no noise or clunk from the rear shock mount nuts. (TSB)

And no rattles in the dashboard. (TSB?)

I'm leaving well enough alone. I let the dealer boys change the oil, and that's pretty much it. (And they overfill it. :LOL:)

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the brake clip done during a routine service, the Airbag recall didn't affect Aussie cars - and they haven't sent this latest one out yet - last time, the recall notices arrived about 6 weeks after it was on their website.

TSBs often are only for vehicles affected by the problem.

Starship16 likes this.
  11. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. My initial thought of "I'll have a look myself" kind of went out the window when I saw something about 600 V and insulated gloves.

dbf and kithmo like this.
  12. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    What...? Me worry that my Prius will start a fire and take out 10-15 cars around it while I'm parked at work? Or the fiver other cars that I'm parked next to in my apartment complex? No never. As long as Toyota picks up the bill, I ain't got nothing to worry bout.

13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    700 Volts? I think it's the Amps that kill you. And to think I've been wiping this engine with a wet towel every week. :LOL: Who's the guy that did the tape-job himself. Does he live near my area??? :D

IMG_0307.JPG

14. UltraJetRefill

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. I seem to remember that I'm only a few MΩ when measuring from hand to hand with a voltmeter, so I would definitely be doing the 'dance of electricity'. :Do_O Well, only for a few seconds, anyway.

Starship16 likes this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just checked my VIN / License plate number. The reply I got was..... shocking! :LOL: I'm 3 recalls in the hole. Do I hear a fourth??? :mad:

Well, it won't be so bad going to the dealer. They have a Starbucks and a Subway sandwich shop right in the waiting room. I can EAT my way through the day! (And you never know, I might drive out of there in a new TACOMA! (y))

Tande likes this.
  16. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Took off the plug and inspected. No damage at all...tons of room so no rub at all.
    Cut a piece of fuel hose and put as a protective sleeve & wrapped with electrical tape to hold it. I'm done with this recall.

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's what I'm talking about! Quick & simple. I wish you had posted a pic of that "plug" thing. I didn't think the Prime was involved. Is it?

So why are they saying there's high voltage, and we need to wear special gloves, etc.

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The recall is for the Gen 4, not the Prime. Toyota has specifically said the Primes are OK.

Starship16 likes this.
  19. randomwalk101

randomwalk101 DYI'er

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have both. 2016 Prius three (gave it to my mother). I’m on a 17 Prime adv.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Legally - you still have to get TOYOTA to do it. I'm sure I read on NHTSA that the car isn't able to be sold till it's been done and registered by TOYOTA.