1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine won’t rotate to TDC. Changing timing belt.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CochraneCustoms, Feb 16, 2021.

1. CochraneCustoms

CochraneCustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello there. I am changing the head gasket on a 2010 with 220k miles. We drove it in garage. Removed intake, exhaust, all accessories and plugs/coils.

We then jacked it up. Put it in neutral and proceeded to turn engine clockwise with 1/2” breaker bar to get number 1 to tdc.

I was only able to get about 1/4 turn and it binds up. I think the transmission is still holding?? I go clockwise and counter and I just can’t budge past that point. I have been looking in the ports and watching cylinder position. I am not even close to hitting valves. I hav put in park and neutral 5 times and even confirmed it rolls in neutral.

I am a seasoned mechanic and have never had issues like this before.

any thoughts on what could be holding it from rotating?

Attached Files:

2. CochraneCustoms

CochraneCustoms New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just tore into it again tonight. Just said forget it, pull off cams and timing chain and head. Proceeded to rotate engine as hard as I could. Number two cylinder has a bent connecting rod and the piston is scraping on the sidewall. It turns super hard through the stroke. Total bummer. Don’t put off your head gasket. Do it immediately

Attached Files:

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... That turned out not good... But always grateful for mechanics that figure stuff out and remember to follow up so the rest of us learn from it. On the bright side used replacement engines are reasonably priced.