1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine wont start, after old battery was replaced!HELP!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Johanna Aguilar, May 30, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just google it. the tough part is tracking it down. you might need tech stream and the service manual

Johanna Aguilar likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I tried to zoom in on the part of the photo circled in red, but couldn't see this plug. You have verified it is good? It has an inspection opening facing the outside where you should be able to see a vertical white line if the male end of plug is inserted. I can't make that out. If I remember correctly, the signal for the safety switch also passes through a multiwire plug attached to the HV battery cooling fan mount on the passenger side of the trunk. I've heard corrosion in this connector has caused false indication of the safety plug being removed. I've never dug into it to determine is credibility.

168210_8C054547-D77B-4E1F-90C8-75F1D62D7C1A.jpeg

#22 TMR-JWAP, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A remanufactured battery pack is just a failed pack like you traded in with some modules replaced with used modules that have not yet failed. For $1600 shipped you could have purchased a kit of new cells that would have basically given you a new battery. @2k1Toaster here imports ans sells them. His link is in my signature.

We have seen very poor track records on remanufactured batteries. To properly balance & recondition take a lot of time that companies cannot afford to invest. A few hobbyists here do that for enjoyment though.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The 3004 code has 3 possible subcodes to help localize the problem (131, 132, 133). Any chance your code reader is able to show freeze frame data and subcodes?

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here, maybe this can help you..

IMG_3397.JPG

6. Johanna Aguilar

Johanna Aguilar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So we checked that cable just now, and it is connected. (Picture below) Second, we actually just re scanned it using another app (using Car Scanner ELM) and 2 new codes popped out,the other app didn’t show us.... the other one (P3004) didn’t even show up in this one. But the two new codes we got were P020A and POD30. Also this new app also had a freeze frame, however when we clicked on it, everything was zeroed out. :(

Btw, thank you for the info! Trying to find what the heck the actually issue or what we did wrong :(

Attached Files:

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would suspect the two new codes are not correct due to that reader not being toyota hybrid capable. I'd be careful about chasing those.

You have a good multimeter?

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    deleted

Attached Files:

#28 TMR-JWAP, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. Johanna Aguilar

Johanna Aguilar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I was looking into that right now and based on videos and other images online it looks like it’s 50/50. But thank you for that observation. At this point I’m really just trying to look for anything.

Also if anyone knows any good mechanic that specializes in hybrids in Los Angeles please let me know?

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I must have deleted that post about the same time you put up #29. Wanted to avoid adding any confusion. I had an instance a few weeks ago where I had just built a battery, installed it in my car for testing, but it wouldn't clear codes. Very similar to yours, but I don't remember the specific code. I tried swapping the ecu and each of the three relays, one at a time. Didn't make a difference. Checked wires and resistor, found nothing. Under time constraints, I gave up and installed an entirely different electronics section and problem went away. (this replaced everything except the voltage sensor harness, safety plug and cables, and temperature sensor harness. I placed the non-working components to the side and haven't gotten back to them yet to check them out. My initial assumption is there's a problem with the wiring or terminals. I don't know what else it could be, since I swapped every other main item. Maybe I can dig into that tonight after I get back around 8 pm.

SFO and Prodigyplace like this.