1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine working too hard - help?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sanders, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sanders

sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a 2005 generation 2 Prius with 222,000 miles on it. Over about the last 400 miles it seems like the gasoline engine is working too hard. Instead of a nice quiet purr, it is louder and sounds choppy. It doesn't start smoothly, but lurches a little bit when it starts and stops. It sounds like it's spinning faster/louder than it used to when accelerating, and it runs longer when I stop at a stoplight. Any ideas?

I changed the oil recently but that didn't help. On the most recent tank of gas I added Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant but I haven't noticed a difference, other than very slightly improved gas mileage, which I expected.

Thanks!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Clean your throttle body and MAF sensor
    2. Check and possibly change the air filter.
    3. How's the 12v battery health?
    4. Have you changed the spark plugs?

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My vote is either the main traction battery is going bad so your ICE has to work harder. What you describe sounds exactly what happens when the battery falls to two bars. But if the internal resistance has finally risen high enough to cause a significant voltage drop at the same current, the effect would be the same even with more than 2 bars.

The other possibility is the MG1 is starting to fail resulting in the ICE not being able to direct torque at the main drive ring.

Both of these can be confirmed with a CANBUS logger for the Prius.

Does anyone know what the normal voltage drop on the main battery is when it's charge to 6 bars or so?

BTW, I just hit 222K miles on mine as well. The only problem I've had was that I got P0420 for the cat but it hasn't come back in 500 miles since the acid cleaning I did last week.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    allow mileage replacement engine is not too expensive.

5. sanders

sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    1/2. I will clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, and check the air filter.
    3. I haven't noticed any problems with the 12 volt battery. Is there something in particular that I should check to determine 12 volt battery health?
    4. I have not changed the spark plugs. I bought the car at 207,000 miles a year ago and don't know the maintenance history before that. How do I know when the spark plugs need to be changed?
    Thanks again.

6. sanders

sanders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perfect, thank you for your ideas. I'm afraid I don't know what a CANBUS logger is. Could you direct me?

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
  8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you will know when you remove them and look at them. possibly never replaced in those 222000 miles.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One way to know is when the engine is not performing normally, the spark plugs should be one of the first items to check. Use the correct NGK or Denso iridium spark plugs - do not install an inferior-quality plug. The correct plugs have a service life of 120K miles.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've had a few cases in Northeast where the exhaust manifold rusted through probably due to salt on the roads. Not the exhuast pipe..that is stainless steel, but the rusty steel piece that connects up to the engine...pics elsewhere on here