1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer almost non-stop EV mode?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by KirillSp, Oct 15, 2010.

1. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    10-12KWh PHEV conversion (3-Prong power, Plug-in-Supply) still working well...48mi pure EV range, Can get upwards of 80mpg over a 150-200mi range.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It includes a standard SD card. It stores a txt file that can be parsed into xls.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first leg of my morning commute is 1.8 miles @ 25-30 mph with an elevation change 46 feet uphill. If I start with a fully charged pack and SOC of ~70%, I am lucky if I can make it in all EV because SOC will go down to ~45%. Even though the elevation change is small the entire trip is uphill so there is little opportunity to coast and only a few short traffic lights. The last 1/4 represents the bulk of the elevation change and usually involves starting from a dead stop. System is 4kWh with 5000 Watt converter in 2004 Prius with 84,000 miles.

4. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here.. to answer this question for good.. here is a video I took this morning, completely unedited:

5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is pretty cool!! I also liked the way you got your daughter to hold up the scan gauge... :D

6. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, that looks great David! I noticed the SOC remained at 8 bars all the time. Do you know how much Amps the kit puts out and what is the maximum distance you can drive in EV only?

7. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, I think it stayed at 6 bars the whole time. The battery turns green at 7 bars.

The kit puts out about 14 amps. I suppose the maximum distance would be affected greatly by speed and terrain. The most I've ever gone in EV mode so far is about 3 miles. The problem is not the lack of power, rather that I eventually run out of roads with 30 mph speed limit and as I have no desire to cause a traffic jam, I will speed up and EV mode will cancel out.

8. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes 6 bars I meant of course, sorry. There is a long stretch of road nearby, a little winding thru the forrest but on perfectly flat terrain. I noticed I can keep driving 60 kmh (~40 mph) on pure EV for quite a long time, over 2 miles on a full battery. When it drop to about 52% SOC the ICE kicks in again. According to the Scangauge it draws between 11 - 15 Amps to maintain this speed.

So theoretically the Enginer kit should be able to refill the battery and keep it at the same SOC and I should be able to drive 40 mph EV on the entire stretch of about 5 miles.
    Two more weeks untill my 4 kWh kit arrives. Unfortunately temps are dropping below freezing already over here.

What temperatures do you have over there, when you made the video?

9. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I made the video a few days ago. I think it was about 60 degrees that morning, but the car had been parked in the garage so it was somewhat warmer in the car. Which is great because I don't need the A/C or heater right now.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    David, I hope your daughter had a good day at school. I couldn't make out all the lyrics to her Driving Down the Road song, but I have my Eneiner kit nearly installed, just waiting on the BMS16D to show up on December 2, three days from now. Hope your arm is OK. I enjoyed watching 9 episodes of EV Talk tonight on my big screen.

11. KirillSp

KirillSp New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems that it is only possible with special conditions to drive in all-EV-mode.
    Could the Enginer-system be adjusted to make it possible though?

12. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius computers will not allow all-EV-mode. The PHEV systems that do maximize EV mode, change the Prius programming or Spoof the Prius computers by sending false information on the Can bus. Needless to say, you better know what you are doing if you attempt doing this.

Enginer does not change or spoof the Prius programing in anyway.

So there is a trade-off between having hybrid for longer distances and having more EV. If you really want all-EV-mode, then you should buy a car that is designed for that.

Thanks,
    Dan