1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer converter sparky noise

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by pbui, May 8, 2010.

1. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi folks,

I just sent this email below to Jack, but I thought to share it here as well as to solicit any comments from the experts:

"I think there is a problem with my converter. I have a 4kwhr system, buddy paired, with 2 cellog monitors, connected to a loud siren for low & high cell alarm. My wife reports that she never gets an alarm while driving, and I notice that one of my buddy pair reached full charge rather quickly, way before the rest of the pack. I also notice that the system doesn't require very much charge, less than 1 hr each evening.

Finally this morning, I turned on the system, with a fully charged pack, while checking the cellog voltage and there is an intermittent sparking sound inside the converter and all cell voltages are pulled quite low, around 2.8 - 2.9v, with my weak cell 6 being the lowest. Upon tapping the converter, the sparking sound sometimes goes away and the cell voltages come back to around 3.2xx. But then the sparking sound comes back, and the pull of the cell again. Please advise."

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Pb,
    Priuschat is not where you find experts for the Enginer system. Be aware that you will get varied responses. Some will be good. Many will be extraneous. Some will even be detrimental. And you may not be able to tell which are good or bad.

The Enginer forum would be better because at least you can see if the person responding has installer status.

I will respond technical information to you in a private Email. But be aware that pops and sizzles do happen in normal operation in the converter.

Thanks,
    Dan

3. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the 2kwh system and have never experienced this. From working with computers, one thought comes to mind: maybe it's dusty inside...try blowing it out with a can of air or from a compressor.

Good luck!

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Hi pbui, Dan21 " The Enginer Crusader" is right, Prius Chat is not the right place to vent your frustration on the defective enginer products, not that there are any experts on their products either in here to, but we will be glad to hear the further coming step towards a working equipment.
    The only voice of expertise you should fallow will be the one of "JACK", backing up the Enginer's product line.

5. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neither red or green LED is on now. Upon checking the phone jack at the converter, one of the pin is all blackened. I tried cleaning it with contact cleaner but still no LED. The spring loaded contact may be bad with intermittent bouncing, creating spark and thus increasing impedance and finally become opened circuit.

I will pull out the converter to inspect the phone jack's pin. These type of pressure contact are probably not very robust for high vibration environment, such as the back of a vehicle. Crimped and socketed pin, such as DB connectors, are probably better.

I just hope that the cells are still ok.
    -Pb

6. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

cleaned out those tiny brass contacts on the phone jack, one was particularly black. Sprayed contact cleaner, reassembled and powered up. Green LED ! checked output float voltage to be 246vdc, good enough.

so, it was those tiny spring loaded contact. I think it'll happened again. I am a bit surprised that no one has reported this problem before.

thanks, Pb

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've GOT to be joking.
    _H*

8. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is very strange with these funny noises. I have opened up the converter and it's all solid state in there. I can understand hums and high frequency switching, but the sizzling is kind of weird.

There is also something else going on: I turned on the system in Park and in EV mode, I can see the pull of the LiFePo pack, some cells are lower than other: between 2.9 - 3.2 volts spread. But after a minute or two, the current pull is lessened and all cell voltages go back to around 3.3. Then a minute or two later, the pull happened again, then eased off. My OEM pack increased from 4 to 6 blue bars, but never get to a green 7th bar. I may have to increase the converter output voltage a bit, it's at 246vdc unload.

The sizzling noise may just be only when the converter is warming up. I have to check again when it is already warm.

-Pb

9. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure i read before that the current output is limited when you are not moving (i guess the traction battery voltage is higher while not under load) so the cycling may be normal.