1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer kit proper break-in charging cycles

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Hunter1, Aug 19, 2009.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't even *consider* trying to "bootstrap" a new pack and
    get it correctly charged/balanced in extreme temperatures. Thats
    going to throw off any number of thresholds. If you can haul
    the whole box inside and work on it there, that might be much
    better in the long run than working in the freezer.
    The stock Prius system starts limiting battery currents down to 50
    amps or less at around the freezing mark; this should tell us
    something.
    _H*

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dan,
    Are you saying that it stayed at 13amps for a period of time?
    Or was this just a quick (a second or two) spike?

1 person likes this.
  3. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could have sworn I saw someone that had the 8kw system in this thread, but I just read all the posts and didn't find it. I'm getting that one installed in my '10 and wondered how the '10's are holding up to the extra weight. Am I going to need to get new springs immediately?

4. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It stayed for about 30 seconds. It was droping slowly but I shut it down Because I did not want to over charge a full battery.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  5. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have a 8kwH system in my Gen3 Prius II. The sag is noticable but the car can keep running but I would not add anymore load to the car unless the springs are changed. I will be changing my springs once I can find some.

1 person likes this.
  6. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well hmm.. Thanks for the reply! I did see a gen 3 with 8kw installed in another thread. It looked good, but noticeable in an empty car. I believe I agree with you and I will let it go for now and keep it in my plans to get the springs.

1 person likes this.
  7. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    will somebody PLEASE comment on enginer that has not had all the complications on this thread. I want one but I am scared to get one when all the comments sem to be negative Don

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Don,
    I put a 4k kit into my 2005. I also have the EV Hack built into the flashers. I love it for in town.

I have done 6 charge cycles. and I am now doing #7. It is working fine. I have had 2 balancer alarms just before the charger would have shut down anyway. Those charge cycles were stopped about 1% short of full. All the others went fine. I think that if I used the the system just a little less on each day for this break-in time, I would not have had those alarms. I do expect the alarms to go away as the kit is broken in. But I will probubly not do unattended charging until Enginer improves the charger shutdown.

You can see all my details in the "First Enginer PHEV install in the Portland Or area, Gen2 " thread. Sorry I am new enough that I do not know how to do the link.

I think that the current system requires you to have some technical understanding and to be vigelent in attention to details. If you are not technical maybe you should wait or find help from someone that is technical.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, full disclosure for those that don't already know; I am providing installs of the Enginer system. I am very up front with anyone who asks me to do an install for them and make sure that they are suited for this kind of PHEV system. Here are some of the things I have told customers when they tell me they are considering having an Enginer system installed in their car.

If you want something that is foolproof and does not have issues, then this may not be the right kit for you yet. As you have read, people have had issues with Enginer kits, but as you have also read, Jack and his crew are quick to respond and help makes things right for customers.

There are other systems like the Hymotion that have been tested for a much longer time and will better fit many people's needs and lifestyle. You will also pay accordingly for such a system.

As it stands right now, it is simply a fact that for the Enginer kit you will need to actively attend to the battery charging process. This is how the system is currently built. This may not be convenient for many people. You need to be prepared to accommodate for this fact or else risk damaging your battery cells. It does appear that Enginer is looking at incorporating some different components in the future that will allow for completely unattended charging.

Regarding reliability, there are two issues I see at this time.
    There is a possibility that one of your balancers may stop working properly. (And if this happens Jack will stand behind it and help make things right.)

There is a possibility that you may have a battery cell that does not work properly and may need replacing. (And if this happens Jack will stand behind it and help make things right.)

While both of these issues may affect how your Enginer system works, it will not affect how your Prius drives. You will be able to drive your Prius normally while you wait for the new component to arrive.

Anyone should feel free to call me or PM me if they have questions or are at all hesitant about the kit.

1 person likes this.
  10. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you mr Powers. But has mr Chan been replaced?

11. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am still here. Been crazy busy at work and my PHEV is complete dismantle right now cause I am trying to find someone to help me mount my steel box in the trunk. The kit works great but I want to finally mount in the proper place and maybe trade my converters up for the 5000 WATT. I am thinking about having customer rear springs created to handle the extra 350lb of weight in the rear soon.

-Chan

12. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Don,
    I assume you are asking about Jack Chen. He is still the top person for Enginer.US. He is very busy and so we have a group of Qualified Installers that help a lot.

Eric and I are both installers. If you want to see the list of installers you can see that on the Enginer web site at
    http://www.enginer.us/

Thanks,
    Dan

13. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    *Ugh I did it again, posted with Austin's account by accident. lol* (Sharing a computer)

It is a wonderful kit, and it places it in the hands of people who otherwise never could have afforded it, or wouldn't have moved forward with it. The most important thing with this kit is to keep calm and deal with problems as they come. It doesn't help to freak out. I think the kit is pretty finicky, especially when it comes to the balancers and some of their anomalous readings. The kit is actually pretty robust. It's also important not to over charge or discharge the pack. It helps extend the lifetime cycles the battery will make. It will get a little better with time. I have found that when my packs are working good, they work really good.

Eric Powers did my install, and did it very well. However, his biggest contribution has been his time and enthusiasm in dealing with me and my car, and my problems. He is literally teaching me a lot about my car. I seriously would not be at the knowledge level I am right now. I feel like I got a bunch of free classes with my install or something.

I saw someone say to me that they are running the 8kw. OH I think it was Dan actually. Well I have contacted Pat's Garage, they told me I would need both new struts and shocks for the amount of weight + a bike rack I want to put on.. and to be able to still add occasional weight to the car. He referred me to Luscious Garage, but they haven't had their grand opening. Their website is up and running, but I haven't been able to elicit a response yet. I will try to post it here when I do.

-brad_rules_ man

14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Luscious Garage is in activities since at least a couple of years in the San Francisco, CA area.
    Now, if they do not pick-up the phone or answer back their calls is another story.

15. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a reply back. :(

Basically it can be done, and she is willing to help me, but it's going to take a massive investment on my part, because no-one seems to have done it with a 2010 yet. And THEN after I do it, everyone else can get it cheaper.

haha, I'm not so sure I wanna be the guy to take that bullet.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Luscious Garage has been around for many years. The Grand Opening is because Luscious has moved into a new building. Same great people. Same great service.

17. Hunter1

Hunter1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

I started this thread many moons ago to isolate and address the break-in issues with the Enginer kit. It's been a long time since I've posted. I was one of the first 5 people to get the Engineer kit installed I believe. Many kept asking how it improved my gas mileage, but since I only bought my 2004 Prius to install the Enginer kit, I had no prior mileage info to compare it to.

Since then, I've tried a few tanks without the Enginer switch turned on. At first I was averaging about 55 miles per gallon with it on and about 45 mpg with it off. Not exactly the stellar performance I was lead to believe. Granted, I was sold the 2 kwt version though I wanted the 4 kwt but they were trying to stretch the kits they could install here in LA after the Plug-in 2009 expo in Long Beach last year.

I've tried contacting Jack with suggestions from the start on what could really be useful for the kits. Most suggestions were not adopted. I was even willing to invest my own funds to open an installation shop here in Los Angeles. But I won't do so, if I'm not 100 percent happy with the product. So far, I'd say I'm far from there. First of all, the break-in ordeal was a pain to put it mildly that I wouldn't expect the average Prius owner would tolerate. Second, the switch installed is really after-thought looking and not very useful. Thrid, once the batteries are discharged pass their use-fullness the balancers will not stop beeping which can become very annoying to say the least. 4th, there's no way of knowing how much battery life is left in them while you're driving the car so you can head it off at the pass and switch off the system before it's depleted. 5th, yes, I had a flat tire and having access to the spare would have helped. A simple hinge with a spring would have probably done the trick. I would have been willing to pay extra for it.

I'm curious how much of the 20 percent increase in mpg I'm getting is from just forcing the car into electric mode when I have enough charge. I haven't done a tank with just flipping the switch on and off to trigger electric only mode to check it.

But 6th and the worst now is, the batteries don't seem to be working at all now. My mpg has dropped and it's hard to even squeak out 50 mpg and that's doing every trick in the book with pulse and glide, forcing the car into electric mode when it has enough juice and there's just a short hill to crest etc. On top of that, as soon as I get home and plug in the car, within a few minutes the balancers start beeping from being over charged. This was enough to make me call Jack on Monday. I got voice mail with someone else's voice saying leave a message and they'll get back to me. It's now Thursday, not a peep.

What's really frustrating is that this kit had so much promise, but ignoring the early adopters advice and in many instances extras they added at their own time and expense, makes for a kit that is not reaching anywhere near it's potential.

Take care fellow Prius owners
    Glenn

2 people like this.
  18. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Glenn,
    I am sorry to hear of your problems. I am having very good performance from my system.

Enginer has done many improvements to the system. The current systems are clearly much better than what you discribe.

Jack has become very busy. Sometime it takes several trys to catch him but he is still very responsive. I suggest that you keep trying. Also go to the enginer.us website and put a message onto the Enginer Forum. That will probubly get you responces from others that have had good success.

If you are still not successful shoot me a PM and I can try to help.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  19. Hunter1

Hunter1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Dan,

It was nice to see your friendly offer of help. Much appreciated. I actually found an email message from Jack from a few days ago. I don't check that email account very often. He asked for the readings of the cells and details of the problem. I'll email him that later today.

So Dan... what exactly does "very good performance" translate into mpg with the system on VS doing the same driving tactics without touching the switch? All my tests were over an entire tank full, not 25 miles in EV mode as shown in the Enginer pic ad on ebay. I can do that driving around a mall parking lot at night too, but it's not realistic. My car goes to one dot at about 350 miles. For the next 150 miles I drive with one dot and an occasional nag to get gas. I usually go over 500 miles per tank, but now that the mpg is dropping I'm not pushing it as far as I use to.

20. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Glenn,
    I am not sure about your description of your driving. Of course you can not go hundreds of miles without plugging in.

I get 80-100mpg. I have a 4kwhr system in a 2005 and in a 2010. The 2005 would be similar to your car. I drive 25-30 miles in town traffic with a lot of EV to get that mileage. When I go longer distances at higher speeds I get 70-80pmg for 40-50miles. Mileage and range will change for each drive depending on how much EV can be used. It is different every time.

You do need to change your driving habits to optimize the PHEV system. The Prius computers are optimized for a limited battery. You now have more battery and so you do need to use more EV if you want optimum mpg.

I do not use the Enginer EV wire provided in the switch. By the way the new switch does look very nice and professionally installed. I installed the EV mod attached to my headlight flasher switch so that I can engage EV easily at any time.

Thanks,
    Dan