1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer kit with Deep cycle batteries

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by menardsy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I wonder if it would be possible / wise to use Deep Cycle batteries with the Enginer system instead of its lithium battery? It would be much less expensive with deep cycle / SLA batteries (< 1000$ for 4800 kwh (12v x 4 x 100Ah)). This weight about 200 pounds. I think the DC-DC converter from enginer is around 500$. This would make a plugin hybrid for under 1500$!

Sylvain

2. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, yes and no. I've considered going that route myself, but haven't pulled the trigger. Major things to consider:

1. Battery charger. Will the Enginer charger work for these batteries hooked in series, or does it need an individual charger for each battery? These are different chemistry than L-ion cells, so how best to charge them?
    2. BMS. There's nothing available for this to my knowledge. Maybe it wouldn't need one???
    3. Voltage to converter. Nominally, 4 12v deep cycle batteries would put out 48v while the converter is expecting 52-56v(?) input. In actuality, the batteries should be putting out ~13.5v when fully charged. That puts the voltage to the converter @54v which SHOULD work. But how far down can you pull their voltage before the converter shuts down for low voltage input??? What would the REAL system capacity actually be?

The last point to consider is that the Enginer system is designed to "trickle charge" the Prius battery, not replace it or convert to an all-EV system. i.e. it runs best as a "blended mode" system. If you can live with these constraints, then go for it.

3. djras

djras New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The charge & discharge rates for Lion and deep cycle batteries are considerably different too. The deep cycle batteries probably can charge at 1/10 the rate of L-ion (or less).

4. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am sure I could live with the trickle charge principle of the enginer kit. I don't want to modify the Prius system in an intrusive way.

The full charge voltage of the deep cycle battery is between 13.0 and 13.5v. Once completely depleted (which should be avoided) the voltage is 10.5v (hence 42v for the 4 batteries). Perhaps the Full-Empty voltage range is too wide to work with the DC-DC converter.

I would not use the Enginer charger to charge the 4 battery but probably charge them separately.

If the voltage range is compatible with the kit, deep cycle battery can be depleted up to 80%. With 80ah battery this give roughly

12v * 4 batteries * 100ah *0.8 = 3840 watt/hour which is not that bad.

5. visitor1

visitor1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you research/find options where to get 48Vin to 240Vout DC/DC converter (5KW) for this approach? Is your 4 (12V) SLA weight estimate low? Curious how you make out doing this, including your plan to charge individual 12V cells or 48V pack. I do like the lower system cost & batteries w/o BMS, but I think SLA cycle life is lower too.

6. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I contacted Enginer and they could sell me the kit (including the 5kw converter) without the BMS and lithium battery 1100$.

I was thinking about using flooded deep cycle battery because they are much less expensive.

The way I see it, I was thinking about using high amp relays to switch the batteries from serie to separated individual connection so that they could be charged separatly with dedicated charger for each battery. Anyway, I don't think that I am going to do this until next summer (It's winter here in Canada and quite cold right now).

Enginer told me that their kit would work with 4 12v battery, but that I should expect a shorter range than with lithium batteries.

The life cycle of deep cycle batteries is indeed quite short ( 250-500 cycle) which make them usable for about one year if you discharge/ recharge them everyday. They last about 8 times less than the lithium, but they also cost 8 time less. So I think it is good to tryout the enginer system without spending too much at first. Than you can upgrade later.

7. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Menardsy,
    I do not think you will be happy with LeadAcid. The Enginer system needs capability of 100a from the batteries. If they do not provide that the converter will shut down prematurely. All the people I know that have gone less on the battery pack were very displeased.

Thanks,
    Dan

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All you need from Enginer is the 5 kW converter and HV wiring harness. Can't believe that they would charge $1100 for it. If you are not tied to the Enginer form factor, then you have a lot more flexibility to address keeping the 5kW converter cool during the summer. Anyway, if you have a serious spirit of adventure, get 9x6V flooded golf cart batteries from Sams/Walmart etc, and get an individual on-board charger for each one. Put Hydrocaps on the batteries to reduce gassing/watering issues. Sure, everyone will say, don't use a flooded lead acid battery in the cabin, but you are already doing some serious modifications, so why not go all-in?

9. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dan2l,

Thanks for your advice. I think a 100ah deep cycle battery can provide 100a continuously?

I must admit that it is far from being the best system with Lead Acid batteries but I wont be able to afford 5k$ this year.

I also tought I could use LiPo battery but I think it is too hazarous (spontaneous combustion!).

I must admit that more and more I am looking at Deep Cycle, more and more I think I am not going this way. Basically because ot the 100a requirement from the enginer converter. Lead acid battery ah capacity is directly dependant on the amp load. The 100A dicharge rate would probably greatly reduce the AH capacity of the batteries...

Sylvain

10. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Seilerts,

I did not ask the price for the converter only. I think therir kit include the metal box to install batteries and converter. I sould ask them indeed how much is the converter and harness only.

Not sure if I will go the Lead Acid way because of the 100A requirement from the converter...

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gen II has a <14 amp limit. More current than that will trigger a fault. Maximum voltage is, 250V? Max continuous power delivery is then 3.5kW, which, at 90% efficiency of the converter, 3.9kW required from the pack. You'll never see 100A. Bottom line, you'll see 70A on average, and 60A-80A during the course of operation.

12. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is encouraging. In search of my best low cost system, I am thinking of an "hybrid" ;) plug-in system. I have 7 mile (in traffic = slow speed) to go to my work. I could buy the 2kwh system at 2k$ from Enginer. If this is enough to do the 7 miles trip. I only need to put the 4 deep cycle batteries (4kwh total) in the car. When I arrive at work. I use the 4 deep cycle batteries to recharge the 2kwh Enginer lithium pack. Since the charging would be at a slow rate (3 hours I think) it would put a low charge on the 4 deep cycle batteries (hence reducing the peukert effect and improving the ah capacity ot the deep cycle batteries).

When I get back home, I recharge both the deep cycle batteries and the lithium pack.

The total kwh of the system would be around 6kwh
    It would cost 2500$ instead of 4000$ (for the 4kwh)...

13. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be sure to check with Enginer which converter you get, as I think the 2 kWh system ships with the older 3 kW converter, 10A current limit. You'll definitely need 13A-14A continuous to make it, but it will be tough to do without the traction battery SoC dropping too low. How long does it take you to complete the trip? You'd need to be able to make it without dropping out of EV mode, otherwise its just not worth it.

One thing that might help, use as a ballpark figure 250 watt-hours/mile for the energy requirement. Then you can compute the average power requirement. For example, at 15 mph, the power requirement is 3.75 kW, which is about the limit of what you can get out of the Enginer kit. If your commute takes half an hour, you'll be ok. At 20 mph, that's 5kW, which means the traction battery has to supply 1.25 kW for 7 miles@21 minutes, or 438 Watt-hours. That is just barely what you can get from the traction battery before dropping from EV mode, if you start out at full SoC.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you wil neeed to buy new dlead acid batterys every 1 or 2 years......
    so its not that cheap on the long run

15. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't knew about the different size of converter. It take about 25 min to complete the trip. I also underestimated the distance which is more 8 miles. I don't think I can do the trip without the ICE kicking in because it is winter here and just as an example tommorow forecast is -17C (about 1 Fahrenheit). Perhaps it it not such a good idea finaly to go the PHEV way.

Perhaps it would be better to just plug the car block heater + grill blocking (already done for the grill).

I could for example use an inverter with Deep Cycle battery to supply the 400W to the block heater. That way it would minimize the ICE kicking in to keep its heat.

16. dhrivnak

dhrivnak New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my experience I would not use lead acid batteries in any conversion for several reasons. My first attempt at a plug in hybrid used lead acid and after only 8 months of use, about 200 cycles, they were ready for the recycler. The SAME set up with Lithium lasted over 3 years and 1100 cycles. The lithium batteries were 1/3 the weight yet delivered more than twice the power. Lead acid have greatly diminished capacity at higher draw rates. So while a 100 amp-hr battery would give a full 100 amp-hrs pulling 5 amps over 20 hours, you will likely find it will be dead in 30 minutes pulling 55 amps which you will see with the Enginer kit.

The last reason I would not use lead is I would hate having several hundred pounds of sulfuric acid in the back in the slight chance of an accident.

If you need to save some money try the 2 kwh Enginer kit as you can always upgrade the batteries.

If you want details on some of my testing with lead acid versus lithium and my results with the Enginer kit feel free to visit our home page at hrivnak.com

17. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are going to use lead acid batteries forget using Enginer kit. I would just install 20 x 12v batteries in series and use it with a BMS2 (BMSplus version2). More energy efficient. Anyhow Lead Acid are crap. Maybe deep cycle. Lithium would be best.

Maybe you could use 20 of these Lifepo4 12v 20ah batteries on EBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-cell-20Ah...&ps=63&clkid=5393339026258968597#ht_648wt_689

20 x $124= 2480 excluding delivery.

18. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I thought. Perhaps it is better to save some money for the 2kwh. I must admit I was a little worry about 240 pounds of lead an acid that I could get behind the head in case of a frontal accident.

I think I am convinced now to let go of the lead acid battery.

19. visitor1

visitor1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As an Enginer user, I'm hoping you can help answer a few questions, (as I am still trying to determine best possible inexpensive PHEV add-on ideas to my Kia hybrid):

- For this 240V PHEV add-on battery approach you suggest, wouldn't you need interface high power contactors between stock battery, plus you need to be concerned with overcharging of the PHEV add-on battery? Thus, more system cost needed verse Enginer?
    - I realize Enginer dc/dc (28Vto240V) converter current limits pure EV mode, but in blended mode, I believe it helps to recharge the stock battery - correct? Thus, you get the MPG % improvement using stock battery more often?
    - I realize you wall charge the 48V pack while stationary, but are you aware of anyone creatively recharging their 48V Enginer pack while driving car? I'm wondering if there is an "fairly" efficient way to do this with any car? I realize there are converter power loses, but one idea I had while reading this thread of SLA deep cycle is to connect a seperate dc/dc brick converter (ie. ~200W, 12Vto48V) from the car's 12V line. My kia hybrid has the 12V SLA car battery in the trunk near the 270V stock Li-Ion battery, so I can wire everything in trunk.

20. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect this would be hopelessly inefficient and possibly dangerous as well.