1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer PHEV Test Pilots: Mpg reports and important data

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by plugmein2, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I am sure the enginer system is connected to the HV cables at the battery that is after the hall effect sensor so the OEM BMS only shows in and out of the stock battery. You would need another hall effect or clamp meter to monitor the converter output.

2. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the Enginer charging is sensed by the OEM circuit. One of the way to tell if the Enginer system is working is to watch the stock battery display increases a charge bar on the screen

3. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The most effective way to see if the Enginer is charging is by use of a scangauge II where you monitor the HV current. A quick flick of the Enginer switch on and off should yield roughly a 12 amp difference indicative of a full output Enginer.

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The best would be if one of the new remote BMS16D screens showed current output - i'll let you know if my kit ever arrives!

5. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you normally have that high of an output? Mine is usually in the 7-8 amp range and often times lower with a 5000 Watt converter. It is very rare that I see anything over 10 on my Scangauge.

6. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get -12 or more all the time from my 5kW converter.

The converter can be adjusted. Yours is probably set a bit low.

1 person likes this.
  7. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeffrey,
    Yes, I normally consume about 1 to 2 amps for overhead and I usually run a 12 amp delta. However, I did work with Enginer to get my 5kW outputting as close to 14 amps as it could.

That said, into my trip I start dealing with heat related issues and the DC converter throttles back. But, when it's going nicely, I see a dead 60 MPH on my speedo due to cruise control, dead flat terrain, a delta of about 12 amps, HP reading of about 13 HP, state of charge hunting right at 67% and the MPG running at 72 exactly. Such is Enginer shangri-la.

1 person likes this.
  8. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sent a support request to Enginer, hopefully I can get this straightened out.

9. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone,

I am back. Just reinstalled my 2kw kit with the 3000watt converter. I took it out of the car because it was useless during the summer months. I am on my 3rd converter, and I am out of the warranty period. So, I tried to charge it today, but the green light on the charger failed to turn on. The red power light is on, though. The fuse is good. My question is:

1. Do I have dead batteries or charger? I hope it is the charger.

Thanks everyone.

10. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Kammssss,
    Not enough information here to tell what is happening. Can you get voltage and current readings?

Also you are probubly beter off to post on the Enginer user forum rather than here in PriusChat. Go to the Enginer web page and click on FORUM. then sign up and request User status from the administrator.

Thanks,
    Dan

11. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess (and it's a guess) is dead batteries. 3 months sat there powering the BMS could easily have drained the pack to nothing :(

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't Enginer kits have 2 year warranty? Enginer came out in mid 09 right? So you should have at least another 6-7 months on your warranty left.

13. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

from http://www.enginer.us/faq/

19. What is the warranty?

Battery suppliers provide a two-year warranty for batteries and Enginer provides a two year limited warranty on the kit. Californian buyers are subject to an extra $1,000 cost due to extended warranty for 5 years and certification, for CARB compliant.

I made it a point to purchase with one of those credit card that double the manufacturer warranty, hope I don't have to find out if it worked

14. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I would check the battery voltages, dead flat cells would take little or no current and there may be some protection built into the charger to prevent charging when pack is too poor.

15. Floyd2

Floyd2 progressio per sententia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been using my new Enginer 4 kWh kit (version 5) for about a week now. I did a few testdrives at subzero temperatures in inner city an low speed roads: 40 mph or less.
    The results are beyond expectation: I get 2.7l/100km (87 mpg) over the last 410 km (255 miles)! And this driving in snow and freezing cold. I wonder what my mileage will be when the temperatures get higher.

Happy customer here... :)

16. shand

shand New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    WOW that sounds great - I am hoping to be able to save to get this kit in my 2005 Prius - would love to get the milage you have achieved!

17. SFGiant-and-Plugin-Fan

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my kit Jan 31 and installed it March 5. I am also a very happy customer. Getting 90+ at least and sometimes 100+ on my daily 25 mile roundtrip commute. Highest speed limit on the commute is 45 mph for a couple miles, the rest is 35 mph. When I get more skilled and when the heat arrives I expect to get 100+ consistently.

I'm also impressed with the range I am getting. I recharge at home each night and that is plenty for my commute and, though I only recently fixed my red light problem (thanks to Jack sending me a new panel switch) I'm pretty sure I'll be able to go at least 40 miles before depleting the charge.:thumb:

18. SFGiant-and-Plugin-Fan

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW, 40 miles is almost 3 times the 14 mile range the new 2012 Prius plug-in is expected to get. :eek:

19. Flaninacupboard

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the PHV prototype has something like 3.2kwh usable energy, so in the same conditions you'd get more than 14 miles from it (unless the programming only allows ~14 miles of travel. that's possible). It does show how efficient the prius generally is, since you can go a long way on not a lot of electrons :)

20. SFGiant-and-Plugin-Fan

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Understood. The 14 mile limit came from another poster (maybe on the Enginer site) who said he had driven the 2012 model and that was the limit he quoted. I also understand that you can go 65+ mph in EV mode in the new model, though you 3.2 kwh probably doesn't allow you much time at that speed.