1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer's new products - Vehicle to Grid? Not quite but it's a step there.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by cproaudio, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just got an email from Enginer about their 2 year anniversary celebration and saw these new products.

-------------------------------------------------
    Dual Use Emergency Power Generator

Enginer plug-in Add-on kit can be used as an emergency back up power generator with an optional 2000W inverter.

* With no emission or gases, this battery-based generator is safe for use indoors and apartment
    * Silent operation for quiet, reliable emergency power
    * 2,000 Watts continuous output / 4,000 Watts surge output

PPS (Portable Power Station)

Enginer PPS can be used in emergency blackout situation, remote job site or remote recreation event.

* With no emission or gases, this battery-based generator is safe for use indoors and apartment
    * Silent operation for quiet, reliable emergency power
    * 4,000 Watts continuous output / 8,000 Watts surge 120VAC output
    * Keep your computers, sump pump and refrigirator running for days
    -------------------------------------------------

I went to their products page and found these

http://enginer.us/products/PPS.php

http://enginer.us/products/inverter.php

The portable power station replaces the PHEV converter with a 4kw inverter. The inverter edition adds a 2kw inverter on top of the PHEV converter.

Unfortunately both version only runs off the Enginer battery packs so it's not a true vehicle to grid system that I was hoping for. Once the juice runs out on the battery pack, no more 120V AC. You can't put the Prius into "READY" mode and continue the 120V supply.

The most attractive edition is the inverter version. This version basically adds a 2KW 48v DC to 120v AC inverter bolted on top of the regular PHEV kit. This version give you the benefit of both except the inverter power is cut in half, 2000w inverter instead of 4000w inverter.

I disagree with the "Keep your computers, sump pump and refrigerator running for days" line. Hours is more like it. A fully charge 4KW system will last about 1.5-2 hours of driving. The PPS with full 4KW load would last an hour. 2KW load lasts 2 hours, 1KW load lasts 4 hours. In order for the kit to last 1 day the load would have to drop down to 167 watts. It could power a 60W bulb for about 2 days and 18 hours.

Please do not whine about Enginer needs to get their components in check before releasing new products. There are plenty of threads about that. This thread is about the Portable Power Station and the Dual Use Emergency Power Generator kit so please keep the discussion to these 2 products only Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  2. coulomb

coulomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think V2G was ever intended to be gasoline to grid, or gasoline to power outlet (not synchronized with the grid). It's intended mainly for pure EVs with significant energy storage capacity, which the power utilities can use for load levelling. A true V2G would be able to pretty much instantaneously switch power directions (to / from the grid). It's not clear to me how this system will work. Maybe you just switch it manually from inverter to charger mode, but hopefully if you forget to switch it to charger mode and plug it in, it will quickly detect the mains and stop inverting. I don't see a clean way that they could do that, so there could be a splat when you first plug it in in this situation. Or maybe it's just an inverter, and it doesn't replace the charger at all. Edit: it seems like the inverter doesn't replace the charger at all.

3. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if Jack includes an auto inverter shutdown via the BMS or not; it is needed for both low pack and low cell shut down. It would serve nicely for brief temporary power failure.

I have used simple 1kw 12vdc-115vac inverter from the 12v aux battery to power a few household circuit during occasional black out. It works just fine but have to make sure to leave the Prius on Ready mode so the engine would kick on to recharge the NiMh pack. Since these cheapy inverters produce modified sine wave, as opposed to pure sine wave, it can damage certain inductive devices, such as compressors and motors... Compact Fluorescent lights work fine fortunately.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    if that new 48vdc to 110vac inverter exceed the $300.00 mark, it's to much

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too would disagree with the "for days" part, but if you have a newer efficient refrigerator they don't pull that much power over the course of the day, especially if you keep it closed (unlikely). A sump pump & computer probably don't pull much power, unless you have a lot of components running. Unfortunately, you'd really have to start cutting breakers to shut off power to other areas and/or run and unplug everything. Even then, you'd need a larger battery pack to go "for days" but for most people, if that happened, they'd already be looking for somewhere to go that has power, etc. I can see it as a good backup vs diesel or gasoline generator for a house, though. Just better hope your battery is topped up before you lose power.

Ironically, if power does go out, you'd be amazed at how much cooler a room can get just from that depending upon location, temps, etc. I remember being without power for 48 hours back in 2003 (i think) and my room was several degrees cooler because none of the electronics were running. They put off quite a bit of heat!