1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

English/Metric

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hdrygas, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Stocky

Stocky New Member

So the less said the better!

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To add to my gas-up amusement because my wife is a US'er I have my spread sheet all set up to calculate Liters, miles ( no nautical miles except up here in the winter when it rains a lot),Km,Imperial and US gallons, mpg for both, but at present my expenses are in CAD only.
    If using L/100km sounds strange I find it interesting that the US has not converted to metric at all. :?

3. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Well, hello - they spell funny, use a gallon that is not really a gallon, have money that is all the same colour etc.

But, hey, that's ok - everyone has to be different - LOL

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

L per hundred Km.
    quart per 60 miles.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"73418)</div>
    Frank:

Is that a U.S. quart per 60 miles or an Imperial quart per 60 miles?

:crazyeyes:

Sorry buddy, I just couldn't resist ...

6. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotta' watch the flags, Jay!

7. Frank Hudon

I just knew you were going to hit me with that one.
    A: what ever.
    A2: close enough
    A3: see A:

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"73448)</div>
    Frank:

Well, I figured you were under too much stress at work and needed some comic relief!

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the website, Frank. It was very helpful. I had forgotten how different US and Canadian gallons were, and now I know my car's (Oh, blaspheme! A Prius isn't just a car!) fuel consumption is consistent with other's. Actually, I usually try not to convert at all. Metric is so much more logical, I've forgotten those imperial quirks and quarts completely.

10. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver\";p=\"73461)</div>
    what's your age? I'm 57 and there are no quirks in any of it, it's just a system. But I still don't like those Trudeau quarts.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"73468)</div>
    :lol:

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 43. Does that explain why I've never heard of a Trudeau quart? I assume you mean a litre? I have heard of a Trudeau salute, so I'm not completely ignorant of the era. "Quirks and quarts" was a play on the "Quirks and Quarks" TV show. The imperial quirks I was referring to are the inconsistent and illogical subunits, like 2 pints in a quart, 4 quarts in a gallon, 8 ounces in a cup, 16 ounces in a pound, 12 inches in a foot....in metric, everything is 10, 100, or 1000, regardless of what you're measuring. Water boils at 100, not 212, and freezes at 0, not 32. One litre of water weighs one kilogram. I was educated in the Imperial system, but rejected it in favour of metric, which appealed to my sense of logic.

13. Frank Hudon

a sheet of plywood or wall board is still 4x8 feet regadless of the measurement they sell it in. We still export lumber in inch demensions. We buy paint in US gallons converted to Metric. Butter is still sold in Lbs converted to Metric. 7000 grains to a Lb and there is no convienent Metric conversion. I can remember when gas was sold in the Yukon in half gallons because the pumps weren't designed for anything over 99cents a gallon. I would love to know the total cost to this country for the conversion.

14. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Ever consider that the Yard is superior to the meter?

Why is this so?

Which is divisible by three numbers equally and which is divisible by only two?

(I have pointed this out to people before, but the retort is that ordinary people cannot learn a base 12 system...We tell time in base 12...60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day...)

15. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In response to Canuck, the US was introduced to SI (metric) measuring units in 1790 by Thomas Jefferson. The only legal and official US measuring system is SI per the Acts of 1866, 1975 and the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988. The US is a "metric" country, most people just don't yet realize it.

We drive SI vehicles, have SI money, use SI 22 • 28 cm xerox paper, use SI cameras and film, dispense medicine in milligrams, drink beverages in one and two Liter containers, etc. Forest Service timber is advertised in cubic meters of wood. European export laws require exclusive SI labeling beginning in 2009. As we approach 2009 you will see the US be more and more a "metric" country and increasingly leave inch-pound units behind. The dairy industry is preparing to market milk in three Liter containers (four Liters is just too big and heavy). We ski on SI skis, carry SI firearms and compete in triathlons measured in kilometers.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only thing I know about Imperial Quarts is that during College a long time ago a number of us would buy a Beer from Canada (I don't remember the name we called it Mountie Pisx) because it was sold in GIQ , reads Grand Imperial Quarts, and that was more than US Quarts and at the same price that was all we needed to know.

17. Frank Hudon

and it was probably 8% too boot.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"73483)</div>
    I was with my folks visiting an Uncle of mine in Manitoba around 1976 and he had to have a laugh and show us a "metric" house down the road. The entire house *was* metric. Everything had been custom made just to be metric. I recall everything fitting poorly.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"73483)</div>
    Oh no you wouldn't.

Not unless you're really eager to experience that stroke you're worrying about.