1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enough with the Religo-politico Arguments

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Priapus, May 31, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ May 31 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]263477[/snapback]</div>
    The software is already there, um, here. :)
    Above where it says Post #1 is a box which says Options. Click on it, then on Switch to: Outline.

Tah Dah! There is your tree. :)
    Just don't ask me what “Linear+†does. :huh:

Unfortunately, I don't see where you can make that change permanent via your account settings.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ May 31 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]263524[/snapback]</div>
    Kind of pathetic if you ask me. :rolleyes:

NOT ONLY that this thread had quickly disintegrated into the type of quagmire the OP was referring, but that someone (a moderator no less) would make a semi-call for restricting freedom of speech . . . including Fred's House Of Pancakes . . . . where the motto is: “Anything unrelated to the Prius. Come chat. First Amendment is your friend in here.†(A direct quote from the PriusChat Forums main page.)

Now if there is a problem with someone abusing our “Danny Given Rights†(we all know there are limits), then the moderators need to step-up . . . especially if the offending words are not in Fred's. (I am not accusing the moderators of doing anything except an outstanding job. :) )

If the workload is overwhelming for the moderators – maybe it is time for Danny to consider adding a few new moderators to the mix.

BUT, The overriding theme of complaints about subjects, or individuals, or hijacked threads tends to come from those who are here in PriusChat for the PRIUS . . . not necessarily the CHAT.

There are several ways to remedy the situation . . . at least in my mind :blink: – but they may not be doable software wise or may conflict with Danny's wishes for PriusChat:

1) Remove Fred's from the generated list of “New Postsâ€or “Posts Since Your Last Visit.†(I think this is the major source of all this ill will.)

2) Give us, the individual, via our Personal Board Setting, the ability to ignore areas of PriusChat we wish not to be included in our “New Post†lists or even the ability to un-subscribe from forums we have no interest in. We can already ignore people, why not Forums?

3) Make FHOP a PriusChat portal which you have to enter directly if you wish to partake . . . because you want to be there.

Separate the “Church of Fred's†from the “State of Priiâ€! :lol:

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 31 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]263525[/snapback]</div>
    Oh my! That is INFINITELY better! That option needs to be in blazing neon, not tucked away where it took me, even with your instructions, five minutes to finally dig it out and switch it on.

It does stay turned on - I just tried it.

Linear Plus does you the favor of keeping the originating post always visible - as does the tree option.

I wonder how many users here are set to tree mode or linear?

I contend that the more that users use tree mode, the "hijacking" complaints will diminish.

You gotta remember that even though it LOOKS like each posting is followed by responses linearly, the actual situation more closely resembles 8 to 10 people sitting around a table all talking at once, with bystanders dropping by from time to time to toss their two cents onto the table, midst an audience of thousands - a configuration that would violate the laws of physics if it didn't become instantly chaotic, and, as any observation of any thread herein proves, the laws of physics haven't been violated yet!

Thanks for pointing me "up the tree!"

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 31 2006, 03:30 PM) [snapback]263577[/snapback]</div>
    A moderator's polite request to focus on the issues instead of baiting and flaming each other is a freedom of speech issue? What happened to the thought that your freedom to swing your fist ends where my face begins? :)

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Patrick, I never know when you're kidding. In this case, I'll answer as though you were serious and put to rest anyone's thoughts you might have raised.

I posted the original post as Priapus because I wasn't posting as a Mod. Trust me, moderating this board is pretty darned easy 99.9% of the time. Equal to the payment I receive for doing it. :) My original post was not to restrict anyone's speech - I thought I made that clear enough - but rather to point out that the relentless back-and-forth religious and political name-calling has gotten so bad that every new thread is under attack of being hijacked and turned into an argument not even remotely related to the original intent of the thread's purpose. And as it turned out, no more than four replies later, this post was victimized and unceremoniously violated.

I didn't start this thread to take Moderator action but merely to point something out. Perhaps Schmika would agree that sometimes he wants to not be addressed as "Mr. Officer" and talk about things as an everyday citizen simply concerned with the world at large. My Moderator status has limited my interaction and interjections into many threads because I didn't want people to think that as a Mod I am attempting to steer a conversation or sway the forums or whatever it is people say when a figure of authority (which, by the way, I have little) steps into a conversation. And I put it in Freds because it has nothing to do with any other forum's intended subject matter; Priuschat Website Questions was a close second.

But if my mentioning that something is bothering me as a person interferes with my being a Moderator then I would gladly give up my Moderator status so that I could gleefully extoll in all bold, bright red, and underlined how rude it is to turn someone else's thread into a politico-religio piss-fight.

By now, with some 3,600 posts to act as character witness, most people know that I don't get angry or personally attack people and when I read my own posts, I use a more-or-less sing-songy almost motherly voice. Ya see, when I come to Priuschat almost every day, it's fun for me and I look forward to it. But when it stopped being fun to read and I found that I was skipping almost entire pages of new posts at a time because I knew the threads had turned ugly, I said something. Not as a Moderator, but as a peer.

That's it. Just wanted to explain where it came from.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 31 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]263643[/snapback]</div>
    Tony,
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote in your OP, and sorry if I wasn't clear . . . sometimes I too wonder what I am saying. :huh:

But, don't you think that by asking, or suggesting, or bringing to light that there is a problem in FHOP, the inevitable consequence will be calls for censorship? Your line of, “But what I've noticed is that some threads have been started with the direct intention of ticking someone off.†is just the start. :eek:
    It is a complaint about what someone has to SAY. If nobody replies, the problem corrects itself . . . unless the OP wishes to converse with themselves. :blink:

As I said, for the most part, the problem isn't with what people say in Fred's [time for Squid to blush in shame], the problem is the fact that everything written in Fred's is advertised outside of Fred's in the “New Posts†arena. Get rid of that and the majority of complaints will go away.

As for hijacking . . . how do you fight that?
    Thread Outline Display Mode (Tree) would help . . . if most/all would use it.

Should moderators censure hijackers?

It wouldn't be censoring the offending party's speech, just the appropriateness of their timing. No, you can't yell fire in a movie theater and claim free speech. Hijacking should be looked upon in the same light.

If you have something THAT brilliant to say, start a new topic! :p

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I've been re-reading and re-reading these posts, and especially yours, Tony, trying to get a grip on exactly what your lament is (no sarcasm). The title of your thread, and one of your sentences, says you feel bad that there's an increasing number of threads with a religious and/or political subject. That's one thing, and as we're in the midst of a political season with a little over 5 months left until a national election, I don't expect it to go away. Logically, it may get worse---unless some of these "combatants" get so burned out on each other they just drift off.

Second, there's the matter of the lack of civility of some posters. "Priapus" disclaims that he notices the names, but methinks Priapus is being disingenuous. :) There's a hard core of about 8-10 "hard-liners" who can't seem (read: don't want) to ignore an opportunity to bash someone on the "other side". (This includes about 3-4 actual "provocateurs", who enjoy throwing out the chunks of red meat, but I'll leave that part of it alone.)

The incivility seems to bother you, too, yes? I assume (even though you said you sometimes skip whole pages when you sense a raging inferno) that you put on your Mod hat and drop into those scraps, at least as an observer? Not much anyone can do to alleviate that. But those hard-core folks have thick skins, or they wouldn't keep slugging it out.
    (As an aside: the wish of you folks---Danny et al---for a "community" produces, at times, an odd sub-community you may not have expected, one where people on opposite sides of the spectrum literally CAN'T FIND a better place to air out their gripes and bash each other than here. But it's only one of a few sub-communities...)

As for the hijacking of threads: I think that's basically for the participants to self-police, though I'm sure no one would think you "heavy-handed", when you ran across it, if you make a comment intended to nudge us back in the direction of the topic.

I like Sufferin's first two suggestions, by way of keeping the screaming out of earshot of newbies and/or those with Prius-only concerns. I think it's what Kiloran was asking for. If it's doable, I urge you to do it. As a possible variation on what he suggests, how about TWO headings of "posts since your last visit": "Prius-related" and (one thought) "political/social/other issues"? This would be in conjunction with keeping FHOP topics OUT of the "most recent posts" box.

I, for one, have no problems with your sensibilities as a peer. As a Mod, though, I don't see how to keep your synapses calm unless you take frequent breaks from it, perhaps rotating tours of duty with another Mod.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Priapus = Tony???? :ph34r:

oh yeah, that's right...! Totally forgot!

:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]263500[/snapback]</div>

Awww yeah! You're alright JARhead, all right!

I agree, go full HARDCORE!! I just toned it down for the pc crowd... :D I've got this one great photoshop of a couple in particular position where the person on top is the head of Smeagol from lord of the rings, and on the bottom, you can insert anyone's face!

Although very few admit it, people love a great bitching match. Why do you think shows like Jerry Springer are so popular? My favorite used to be the Morton Downey Junior show, THAT was awesome, you can't beat the concept of the LOUDMOUTH corner!!!

RIP Mort, YOU DA MAN!

[​IMG]

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 31 2006, 06:08 PM) [snapback]263643[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. I have found though, after 26 years, that this ONLY works among close friends and family. Tothe public at large...As soon as anyone finds out I am a policeman.....everything I say is filtered through that prism. Right...no...reality...yes. You are in the same boat as you are a PC police officer.

I find the MOST success by saying "this is only my personal opinion, but" It works better than anything else I try. Keep your moderator identity and just jump in with that preamble.

10. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 31 2006, 05:08 PM) [snapback]263643[/snapback]</div>
    Tony....since I was post #4....I was only kidding with my comment!! Didn't you see the :) ? The :) makes everything OK, right? I should have used the :lol: ....damn, that would have conveyed a higher sense of jocularity. I definately would not have used :blink: , since being an optometrist, that means a terrible eye condition, and an eye condition is no laughing matter, unless it pays well :) ! Oh well, since I was post #4, I kind of feel :( . After a good night sleep, I'm hoping I feel like this :D again.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced