1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entire lift gate handle snapped off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mrhp, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did this repair as well. The problem is the plastic gets brittle from the hot cold and then breaks. I glued it all back on with superglue and then coated all 4 bolts assembly with expoy made for plastics. I got it at lowes. when mixed it turns gray smear on a good think layer and let dry for 2 days. Place a rubber mat over the door latch catch on the bumper so you don't get locked out. Older cars have brittle plastic. My 2002 Range Rover probably has HALF the interior plastic held together with this gray plastic epoxy. LOL its great stuff and you can't find replacment parts for old Range Rovers even from England. I have the rare Piano Black interior which makes it even more rare to find. If anyone is doing this repair go ahead and replace your rear license plate bulbs with LED's while you have it apart. Also the rubber hatch release rubber. Good luck.

2. richard203

richard203 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the "open door" light stays on with the doors and tailgate "closed"- there's your battery draw. First place I would look is at the tailgate- see if weatherstripping or trim is keeping things from closing completely. Could also be a problem with the switch in the latch.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    THAT is awesome. I would have gone that route had I known about it. I will if it ever breaks again.