1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune 3.2 and earlier doesn't connect with iOS 7.0.4

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by W5JCK, Feb 7, 2014.

1. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone gotten Entune 3.2 (or any version as far as that goes) to connect with an iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.4? I cannot get mine to connect. Earlier I had Entune 1.8 and it would not connect either. I get the message "Location not found" and then it fails to connect. Here are the facts:

• Entune latest iOS app installed on iPhone 5 with iOS 7.0.4.
    • Entune app is running on iPhone while in the Prius c.
    • iPhone successfully connected to Audio system via Bluetooth in Prius c Four.
    • iPhone totally knows its location even though Entune is clueless.
    • iPhone has Settings-->Cellular activated for Entune app.
    • Cellular connection is strong and working okay on iPhone 5.
    Okay, it should be working unless there is a secret handshake Toyota forgot to tell me about! I guess it really doesn't matter much as Entune is rather lackluster anyway, but since it should work it is frustrating that it doesn't, and in my case, never has.

The Nav system works okay as does the Phone connection. But Entune won't connect with my iPhone 5 running 7.0.4.

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You have to connect via USB for Entune to work on an iPhone. It won't work on Bluetooth except for maybe when using the fancier audio system that my PiP does not have. Some have reported getting it to work over bluetooth by using their phone's tethering settings.

3. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the info. :) In that case then Entune is even more worthless than I thought. :( The apps are lackluster. I prefer to just use my iPhone in stand-alone mode if I need any connectivity regarding weather, traffic, etc. The iPhone is a 1000x better at that sort of thing than Entune anyway.

4. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. W5JCK

W5JCK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't advocate using apps on the phone or Entune while driving. Pull over to do that, or have a passenger do it. However, Entune makes it clear that the iPhone 5 is compatible with its system, and it also states that most smartphones with Bluetooth can connect wirelessly with Entune. Yet that is clearly not the case with iPhones, for some reason. Requiring the use of a USB cable is stupid. If Entune would automatically work with my iPhone that would be okay, but I'm not going to take time to plug it in and go through their connection ritual every time I get in my car. Hence the reason it is much better to simply use the iPhone by itself. iPhone apps are much better than Entune apps anyway, and much faster and easier to use.

Here is what the Toyota website says about Entune and Prius c: (see Toyota Entune® | Toyota In-Car Technology - GPS, Hands-Free Phone, Apps and Data )

6. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Disclaimer: I am not bashing Apple. Stating what I have learned from experience.

Toyota might have made it possible, but I really think it's just Apple. Connectivity to an Apple device usually requires "special" connectivity with limited access. I have worked in the Cell phone industry for over a decade, I do know what I am talking about. Bluetooth is bluetooth. It should connect no matter what. Unless one of the devices you are connecting prevents it from happening. Have you tried another phone? Another type of phone? Basic phone? Android phone? Windows phones? If all else fails, take your car to the dealership. They can test other phones with your car to come up with a reasonable solution. Usually a cable is needed because it has direct access to the phone and no special privilege is needed. Apple is usually weird about sending and receiving things over bluetooth on Apple devices. That's my two cents.

mmmodem likes this.
  7. SAronian

SAronian Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you're searching for a Prius C solution (Display Audio with Navigation and Entune). But it may help to know the iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0.4) does work with the Prius Plug-in's Entune unit (Premium HDD Navigation with Entune including Plug-in Hybrid Apps and JBL) The Premium HDD unit will connect to the Entune app over Bluetooth.

Attached image shows the Bluetooth profiles supported on the iPhone 5. (One missing feature, It will not reply to texts)
    [​IMG]

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is indeed an Iphone problem. No other brand or OS has this issue. Apple dictates which protocols it will work with and they chose not to work with this one for some reason.

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    SAronian and ftl like this.
  10. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why is using a USB Cable stupid?
    The premium system use BT to do Entune but they also feel some pains, to them that is also stupid.

Reason to Cable connection
    - Charging phone while connected as running Entune does drain battery faster
    - In this system, Entune send data to System to decode and play music.
    - Cable is more reliable than BT as BT connection may drop.
    - this case U get both iphone and Entune functions

In the premium system
    - Entune runs over BT SPP/iAP and A2DP. Either profile drop U will have issue.
    - Music from Pandora is decoded on phone and re-encoded to send over BT, more work on phone drains battery faster
    - If U were to connect it to USB to charge, Apple will route audio over USB, system design to pull audio over USB.. guess what one lose audio. There is work around to get it work
    - When U want to use ipod on USB, plugging it in will lose Entune Apps functions. Phone will authenticate over USB.

So which design U like better?

@ SAronian
    With regards to texting... OPP is not for sending text.
    try reading
    Object Push Profile
    | Bluetooth Development Portal

MAP does messaging
    MAP
    | Bluetooth Development Portal

11. Fahfoofnik

Fahfoofnik Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Feeling better about NOT opting for Entune on either of our '13 Toyotas. My wife's Corolla has a touch screen but not Entune.

As it is now, a few times per month my iPhone 5 won't connect to Bluetooth; the only sure-fire way to get it to reconnect is to restart my Prius C. Not exactly convenient.

12. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    reset the phone at times help, we reset our car daily but we never do it on the phone.
    no SW is perfect.. maybe... "hello world" LOL

you don't have to IGN to reconnect, there are 2 ways to do it without IGN.
    1 - go Bluetooth setup and turn BT on/off
    2- in BT setup touch the phone name to reconnect.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup, I think it's Apple. My ancient Blackberry 8890 connected perfectly through BT the day I got the car. Even read my emails and texts. I had absolutely no problems. Then I upgraded to iPhone 4S and all I get is BT calling and audio. No Entune except through USB. BT calls are all I need so I don't really care much. Entune is garbage anyway.

I have a similar incident with TMobile WiFi calling. Works fine with my $70 Windows phone and even on an ancient Nokia clamshell dumb phone. It's MIA on any iphone. I wonder why.

iPhone ?

14. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    to get text working with iphone go to Bluetooth, Car Multimedia, and turn on SHOW NOTIFICATIONS