1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune Account

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by agilityv, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wanderer,
    The reason why the iPhone needs to be tethered is not because it's power hungry. It's because apple programming will not allow Internet connection via Bluetooth. Iheart radio and open table are scheduled to be released via update in spring. And when people complain of slow connection between the iPhone and the head unit is most likely because they are using an aftermarket cable. The factory cable has a faster data transfer speed than aftermarket cables.

2. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The iPhone can do internet over Bluetooth, but it can pose problems if the device is connected to to USB port as well. That's Apple's issue actually. Look at the quirks of the HDD system with iOS 5. Also, there is a benefit to using the USB connection method...better audio quality than you'd get over Bluetooth.

3. JHill1986

JHill1986 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mbrguru, I have yet been able to connect an Iphone via bluetooth on any headunit. What steps did u do to connect VIA bluetooth?

4. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The HDD system works with the iPhone over Bluetooth. You don't need to do anything different, just open the App, then open Entune on the system and it should connect. You just will have to restart the phone from time to time to get it to connect reliably. That seems to be the main problem right now.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Which might be an app/iOS issue... Like the app not making the connection disconnect properly. I know with my phone, while not an iPhone, did have the Bluetooth connection stick, but unlike the iPhone, I could flip the bluetooth off and turn it back on and it fixed the problem. I don't know if that is possible on the iPhone or if the app is tweaking the bluetooth API bad enough that a restart of the phone is the only way to make it work.

I know that the drawback with the android app, is that if you clear the entune notification, it kills the entune service and you have to restart the app to get it running.

6. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    JHill I what I meant was my iPhone is power hungry in general and the USB port barely holds my charge steady and generally it decreases. So rather than exiting with a charged phone it is significantly depleted. Usually a USB port is 500 ma which is half or less than a factory charger provides. I was told today they thought the Spring update would fix this but I'll believe it when I see it. W

7. MikeTheCanuck

MikeTheCanuck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wanderer, are you saying that the Spring update is purported to improve the power-charging throughput (better than 'trickle charge') of the USB port? Or that the Spring update may improve connectivity via USB?

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I apologize I wasn't clear. Hopefully the Spring update will allow newer iPhones to connect to the data function over Bluetooth (what I want desperately!) vs the USB port which would allow me to actually charge my phone via the 12v adapter. My connectivity is ok with the USB port once it's connected which seems to be tricky for some but the lack of charging is an issue for me. As far as I know the USB port will continue with the same level of current. A standard USB port is 500ma and I believe it is the same in the car but haven't measured it but my accessories behave as they do charging from a computer. The update should also give display audio users the missing apps currently available with the upgraded JBL radio that come with the advanced tech package. I think we are missing a total of 3. Opentable, movie ticket something or other and IHeartRadio.

Basically they want everyone to have the same experience whether or not they have the ATP assuming I understood my service advisor correctly. W

9. PriusV5AT

PriusV5AT New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Surely you are joking. Two different dealerships have tried to get entune working in my ATP v5, and neither of them nor I have succeeded. It just does not connect.

10. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So can anyone report a successful use of Entune on their V? I have no such luck with my Hybrid Camry.

11. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What phone do you have?

12. PriusV5AT

PriusV5AT New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I now know that to keep Entune working, you MUST AVOID the USB cable connection.

Entune does work on iPhone iOS 5.1.1 with the Premium HDD only if you do not plug in USB. If you do that, you get better iPod functionality. But on the next use (e.g., park, shop, then return and try to re-connect), chances are it will fail completely. When this does happen, you will probably get a message on the head unit saying that there must be an application running… Don't give up, you can clear up the problem by performing a soft reset of your iPhone (hold down the “home menu” button and the “power” button for about 10-15 seconds. Agreed this is not nice, but it's better than what I went through for a week before I knew the trick to success.

Additionally, I'm finding that Entune does not have to be in the foreground on the phone for successful operation. I first start Entune on the phone, then start the car. Info->Apps then works fine. I can park, use other apps on the phone, return and restart the car without bringing Entune back to the foreground, and everything still works. Just stay clear of USB connections.

ProximalSuns likes this.
  13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. Once I switched iPhone Hotspot and Bluetooth internet connect for Prius, the cars Nav/Entunes worked as advertised. Connected to phone when I got in the car. Apps available after Bluetooth automatic handshake. I hit Pandora, Traffic or Bing it connects and works. No problems.

I think the problem is in the Toyota USB ports as I'd get "Too much power draw, shutting off" when plugging in iPhone and that means the ports are substandard for power and likely for other things.

14. Nexus99

Nexus99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am attempting to use my iPhone 4 with a V 5 and so far no dice on internet. I can bluetooth music over and make calls... but no internet connectivity while entune is running on my phone. Pandora shows up on the Prius... but no internet connection.

15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In the car Setup, make sure you put the Entune ID and PWD in. Also the iPad currently only does the internet via USB connection. It will only provide internet access via Bluetooth if you get the Hotspot option from your cell carrier.

16. rtdunham

rtdunham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyo's three different nav hardware and Entune options are confusing and confounded by the fact dealers can't demo the XM Data svcs for me unless the car on the lot has an XM subscription. I haven't run across one yet.

I THINK i've learned XM NavWeather shows radar & forecasts. I want that. It won't use my phone's data services & will bypass connectivity problems some people here describe.

What I can't tell is which of the three hardware options support the XM NavWeather. There's the 6.1" Display Audio with Navigation and Entune; there's a 6.1" Display Audio with Navigation, Entune and JBL; and the 7" Premium HDD Navigation with Entune and JBL. The Prius brochure describes two Entunes, the first includes weather but the second includes "XM NavWeather..."

I think it's pretty clear the 7" will have the Entunes with XM Data Svcs. But I'm curious about the 6.1 " models: Both include XM; do either of them include the Entune with XM Data Svcs? One of those 6.1" is standard on the model 3, the other on the models 4 and 5. It'd be good to know on which models the XM NavWeather is going to be standard. Or not.

Can anyone help?