1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune App drains battery

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ryogajyc, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my iPhone 4S using the System Monitor app, I've noticed that if I leave the Toyota Entune app running in the background, there is a constant 50+% CPU utilization. If I kill the Toyota Entune app, CPU utilization drops down to single digits %.

Has anyone else noticed that the Entune App even when in the background is using a lot of CPU, draining their battery, and/or causing the iPhone to get warm/hot?

2. vinhboy

vinhboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my android I find all the Entune notifications very annoying.

It's extra annoying because I find the app to be completely useless.

What are you guys using Entune for anyways? Maybe I am using it wrong...

3. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I too am see the same battery drain.....
    Plus the latest update has completely stop accessing the Internet

4. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You don't need to run the Entune App on the phone. If you get the Hotspot option on your phone, you can get Bluetooth internet and the car logs onto Entunes directly, the Entune app does even have to be on your phone, much less running.

It was worth the $30 a month to get away from the USB cord, having to run the Entunes app on the phone, easy never leaves the pocket access to Traffic, Bing, Pandora

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm with you on this. Uninstalled the app from my Android phone, and don't use Entune for anything. It keeps asking me if I want to install it on my iPod, saying it won't work without it. Got news for them; iPod plays fine plugged into the USB port, steering wheel controls work for it, artist display works, etc.

6. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't think so. I use Entunes for Traffic, Gas stations/prices, Pandora and Bing. But it is NOT running on the iPhone. The car has the Entune ID/PWD (you can enter it by going to Devices/Edit) and uses the phone's Bluetooth provided internet connection to log on without the Entunes app being loaded or running on the phone,

7. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's not what I'm using it for. I'm using the Charge Management, Remote Climate, and Saved Destination functions. If I were using it for internet access, the battery drain would make sense. I'm not, hence my concern.

8. 11spencer11

11spencer11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you saying to do this on the phone or on entune on the car?

9. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the car. Don't need Entunes running on the phone or even on the phone at all as far as I can tell

10. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I use this app all the time. I check/start my charge and start my a/c on a regular basis.

But I agree the app sucks! I have written other posts about this but I HATE that every time I want to check a status I have to log in and enter my pass code twice. So ridiculous! Plus of course there is the battery drain issue and the fact that it never actually shuts off.

I hope Toyota fixes it.

11. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So where exactly can you enter the Entune ID/password in the car? I'm actually driving a Prius v (so its possibly in a slightly different location) but I haven't found anyplace to enter this info into. It would be nice not to have to use the app on my android phone, with battery drain and all the notifications...

Thanks

12. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the Prius III/3 which has the "Display Audio 6.1".

If you go to Setup/Bluetooth/Devices and then Edit iPhone device, there is a menu item for DUN/NPS (or something like that) which includes a spot to put in the Entunes ID and Password. You can also put in your service carrier ID and PWD.

In my case I have ATT and I got the Hotspot option on the iPhone which is great as the phone works completely wirelessly. Never leaves my pocket.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How does this discussion apply to the HDD audio system on the Advanced? There, you only "needed" (absent Bluetooth Hotspot) the Entune app connected to the car for Internet applications like Pandora, since the traffic data, stock info, and such comes over XM data. But you still need the Entune app on the phone for Advanced applications such as charge management and car locating and remote A/C, since these are communicating with Internet servers which talk to the car using the built-in SafetyConnect cell phone, and have nothing to do with Bluetooth(or USB, for that matter).

Is the "Hotspot" functionality a Bluetooth feature available only on GSM phones with certain providers? I am familiar with smartphones having WiFi Hotspot functionality, but I didn't know about a Bluetooth equivalent.

14. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All iPhones can be Hotspots.

Traffic can also come via internet via Entunes not XM. Stocks too I suppose since that is an available option on my display but I do not have XM data services though I can't figure out why Stock prices would be something necessary or useful to driving.

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What is true for you is not the same as for CharlesH. The Prius Three is not XM data services capable. A Display Audio with Navigation system in the Prius Three and Prius Plug-in Base gets traffic, stock, and other information via the smartphone internet connection. A HDD Premium Navigation in the Prius Plug-in Advanced gets traffic, stock, and other information via XM.

Anyhow, this tangent discussion isn't really relevant to the thread.

16. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or via Entunes if owner does not pay the $15 a month for XM Data Services.

17. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    why is it so complicated with the iphone?

My Galaxy SII connects via BT automatically and everything just works... Humm, maybe Samsung should get a patent on simplicity...

18. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Entunes.

Once you get that sorted out, works as always, like the best device evah.

19. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Im pretty sure your wrong. Im pretty sure that traffic, stock, and other information comes from the sos system. At least I think it does on my advanced pip. All of my data stuff didnt work until that was set up by the dealer.

I know this because the let me drive the car for 24 hours before I purchased it. I tried setting everything up before I actually went through with the purchase and I could not get those features and the entune app to work until they started my SOS account. I had already set up an entune account and that wasnt enough.

20. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Doesn't sound you had the Entunes was completely setup and working.

Two services are available. You can use XM Data Services which is $15 a month and gives you traffic, weather, stocks.

Or you can use Entunes via your phone's internet connection and get Pandora, Bing, traffic weather stocks etc.

With the iPhone, it is a better buy to upgrade your iPhone to Tethering/Hotspot because it gives you Bluetooth internet access between the Prius and the iPhone. No need for the USB connection. You don't need to take the phone out of your pocket. You also have the phone as a permanent Wifi connection for all you other devices wherever you are. That's turned out to be very convenient.

Cheapest Data Plan for iPhone 300 MB $20
    Plus XM Data $15
    Total $35

Tethering/Hotspot 5GB $50

So for $15 more you get Bluetooth wireless internet in the car for Traffic, Pandora, Bing (the most useful features) plus you have a permanent WiFi connection in your pocket. Saved me $130 on my iPad since I didn't need the phone model plus it saved me on cost of separate cell account for the iPad, another $700 a year.