1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune/Apps in Canada

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by VancouverBlade, Jul 23, 2018.

1. VancouverBlade

VancouverBlade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just bought a Prius Prime Update (standard not Tech pack) and it comes with the 11" display system with navigation.

I'm trying to work out if there are any apps which I can install on my phone to:
    1. Manage my car charging
    2. add other Apps to the Entune system
    Has anyone been able to do this? I took it to the dealers and they aren't certain but don't think there are any apps which would work in Canada? I notice the only Entune app available on the App iOS store is Entune V3.0.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Entune App Suite is not available in Canada for the Prius.

We have to wait until Entune 3.0 arrives (so far, it's on the 2018 Camry, 2018 Sienna and 2019 CH-R) before we have access to Safety Connect and the Entune App Suite.

3. VancouverBlade

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks. Is this updated possible (and likely)?

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No because it jumps a full generation (2.x to 3.0) rather than a version update. If you look at the Camry/Sienna's interface, it's different from the Corolla/RAV4/Highlander etc.

Entune 3.0 also brings in a DCM (data communication module) that essentially makes it a connected car for both hybrids and non-hybrids (as opposed to 2.x which doesn't for any Toyota except for the Prime Advanced with the smartphone apps).

It's one reason why I haven't jumped into a Prime yet. I'm waiting for TCI to bring over one with Entune 3.0 to get the smartphone apps. (along with traffic, weather, destination assist etc)

VancouverBlade likes this.
  5. VancouverBlade

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks, I suspected that might be the case. Now I need to figure out how to turn off the Siri Eyes Free and get everything running through my iPhone microphone. I find the Toyota microphone muffles the sound so Siri has an even harder time understanding my English accent.

6. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We were in Montreal at the beginning of July and our U.S. Entune apps like charge management and ECO dashboard appeared to work on my cellphone. I did not try the full suite of apps, however.

Verizon charged an additional daily fee for using my cellphone in Canada.

Possibly the Entune features are not enabled on Primes which are delivered in Canada. I don't know.

(BTW, thanks to the several PriusChat members who made helpful suggestions for our Canadian visit. We had a great time and think Canada is wonderful!)

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent. That means it'll work in the US once our cars actually get Entune (not that I didn't expect it to). Good to know that I won't be able to use the Entune Apps on my smartphone unless I have a US data plan (or get charged roaming data fees which are quite expensive in Canada). At least the Remote A/C button on the fob will have to do (unless I log onto a free wifi network in the mall or restaurant I'm in prior to heading out to the car).

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Canada!

8. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Like most smart phone apps, the Entune suite can work via WiFi without a data connection. Doesn't really help you in your car (unless you're parked in a garage with WiFi), but it does mean that you can do things like check charging status, turn on climate pre-conditioning, etc. when your not in your car but have access to WiFi internet.

When you're not in your car, the Entune apps work on the phone and can be used for things like checking sports scores and stock prices via WiFi or OTA connection. The simplicity of the suite can be convenient, but I understand why many users would like something more robust.

For my purposes, Entune does OK. And I like sheep.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try doing a voice recognition training. It might help improve recognition of your accent.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I downloaded the Entune App suite 3.0 to my phone. The only apps there are iHeartRadio, NPR One and Slacker. Where are the others, like charging status??

11. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As you know I don't use Entune, so I don't know what are the "others", but charging status app was never a part of Entune for Premium and Plus trim. It is offered only on Advanced trim as I understand it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    According to this there are features I should be able to get. Called as it directs, I'm already enrolled for 3 years in the SOS. The guy says my car doesn't have 'something' to I can use them, though he mentioned remote start. I don't think I have that ability nor do I want it. But since it is an Advance model I should be able to get the stuff listed.
    Entune Premium JBL Audio With 11.6-In. HD Multimedia Display – Prius Prime Apps

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad, yes you have an advanced trim, so you should have those apps.

14. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK the guy sent me to the Toyota Experience people (or whatever it is)
    1. I have the wrong Entune App suite. The only choice on Google Play that has that name is the Entune App Suite 3.0 which apparently is for the '19 models. I needed the one just called Entune (had to figure out how to delete the wrong one, so much to learn with new car and phone). Once downloaded it says Toyota Entune® App Suite on my phone.
    2. Have to sign up with Entune which is not the same as the Toyota owner's account
    3. Have to have your SOS contract number for #2. Lady from "experience" called the SOS people back and got it. I have no idea how I would know this.
    4. Once there I was able to set my "service level".
    5. Apparently now I have to take the phone out to the car and link it, PROBABLY the apps will be loaded from the car to the phone??

Salamander_King likes this.
  15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well this is (not at all) working well.
    No apps showing on the screen in the car, no request to download or update Entune. Apps on the phone:
    • Destination Search
    • Saved Destinations
    • Fuel Guide
    • Movie Tickets
    • Sports
    • Stocks
    • iHeartRadio
    • Slacker Radio
    NO Prius Prime Apps. Like you @Salamander_King, I have no use for the apps provided. I have a navigation system in the car and don't care a fig for the other apps listed. I wanted the Prime Apps. Wish this wasn't all so frustratingly non intuitive. I did finally get the XM radio working, now that there are only 2 months left of the free trial period which I 99% most likely won't be extending with $$.

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  17. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The ECO dashboard is the one thing I didn't select. It sounded like it was to compare your driving to other people's. I don't need to be competitive with others, I'm competitive with myself in that regard ;)

18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At least part of it worked, I got an email saying the car finished charging at 2:40.

19. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No need to be competitive with others. ECO dashboard also gives you information about your fuel use day-by-day (can look at six months historical data) and your ECO driving score -- which is an indication of how efficiently you're driving.

Think of it as "a Fit-Bit for people who don't want to exercise."

Besides, the sheep are very cute. We like sheep.

Chazz8 likes this.
  20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I guess it can't hurt to add it. When i got back to my car after its week visit to the airport parking lot I was told I had a mandatory update. The entune apps showed up. And I now have the apps on my phone so I can see when the car is done charging.