1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune iPhone App Quite A Mess - and Toyota Thinks I'm an Idiot

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by sjsamdrake, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wonder how the DRCC warning works with split screen? Does it just show in one of the screen windows or does it take over the whole display? If just one window or if it is just a momentary warning, doesn't seem like a big issue. If it requires use intervention to get rid of the DRCC warning screen, then it is actually a hazard, forcing the driver to take his eyes off the road.

On it giving the DRCC warning, does it return to the previous screen after a couple seconds? If so, no big issue though I'd prefer an audible voice to state it rather than a visual that takes my eyes off the road.

On making EnTune work. What worked for me was getting the tethering option for the iPhone 4/ATT so that it automatically hooks up with the car when I get in, all the apps come up and work and away we go. This is with the low end PriusIII/3 nav. When it works, it's not too bad. I get Pandora, Traffic can do Bing searches and plug into nav.

Overall works OK. The Voice Command is a bit frustration. I hit Voice and POI <Name>. It will search OK but keeps saying "Not available while moving" and then go to the next step on the Voice Nav even though you are moving. Which is right since it's Voice, hands free, eyes on the road (mostly). But crazy it gives "Not Avaiable While Moving" since the whole point of Voice commands is to use them while moving.

2. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    DRCC appears on the top screen, not on the Nav. So I don't understand the complaint about that. I would think most of us use the HSI display while we are driving to control the gas pedal. But when in DRCC, you aren't controlling the gas, so the display changes to the DRCC display.

I am very happy I have an Android. All I need to do is get in the car, it pairs over bluetooth, I can stream music, make calls, and receive my texts on the Nav unit (and respond with 30 auto replies)

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty much how my iPhone works. Get in, synchs up, internet and apps available and away we go. I turn on Pandora the entire time I'm driving plus the traffic is updating all the time. Surprising how little it uses on my phone's data plan.

On the texts, frankly that should be outlawed. Putting text messaging on the cars nav screen while driving is criminal. First person injured over that should own Toyota.

4. sjsamdrake

sjsamdrake New Member

Yes, iPhone works just fine simply by pairing Bluetooth ... music, Pandora, phone.

It's just the "value added" stuff that Toyota implemented which is unreliable (and doesn't have a lot of value, it seems).

In the forum, several folks think I shouldn't care what the car's doing while I'm in DRCC mode. True, in DRCC mode the car is making the decisions about power and such. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious what it's doing, and don't want to review it. If the car's not making appropriate decisions I'd like to correct it. More to the point, *I* told the car what I wanted to see ... and simply don't appreciate the car deciding on its own that I made the wrong choice.

Other folks think I shouldn't be using DRCC mode if there's traffic. Um, that's what DRCC mode's for...

Others seem to be chiding me for looking at the engine data instead of driving the car. OK, good point. But the CAR is switching displays JUST to get me to look at the screen instead of the road! :) So apparently looking at the screen is what I'm supposed to be doing...for SAFETY. :)

Today while driving in moderate traffic I counted how many times DRCC overrode my display. In 45 minutes, it changed the display 33 times.

There was a lengthy sequence where there was only one car anywhere near me ... certainly not "heavy traffic". That car was quite some distance in front ... apparently at the limits of the DRCC. So the DRCC software was in a simple-minded panic. "Hey, there's a CAR! Crisis!" ... "Good news, the scary CAR is GONE!" ... "Whoa! Watch out! There's a CAR!" ... again and again, completely pointlessly, for miles. Flipping my display every few seconds.

I could accept that the DRCC data is so important to safety that it should always be on the screen when the car's in DRCC mode. But I can't accept that it needs ALL the screen real estate to display a stick figure car and three bars. If there was a dedicated chunk of screen real estate for DRCC, so it wouldn't override MY choice about what I want to see, that would be a reasonable design. The current one isn't.

Finally, I've seen and heard the pre-collision system alert ... when a yoo hoo changed lanes in front of me, missing the car by about 4 feet. I like it. It's a useful alarm presented at a useful time. Unlike any of the silly stuff the DRCC is doing on the display.

...Sam

5. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since you have the Advanced, you can put the HSI display on the HUD. It will show below the speed.

6. sjsamdrake

sjsamdrake New Member

Charles, thanks. I've done that. The one bit that I usually really like looking at isn't there ... the EV range.

I can get the EV range displayed on the radio. If I let it use 1/2 of the screen for an animation of power flow that's distracting and doesn't have much data. And if I don't want to see the audio data. Or directions.

So yes, I can almost work around the DRCC problem. Almost. :)

7. CapnRon

CapnRon Toyota Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I cannot get this to work on my PHEV Advanced. It stays in radar mode, never switching to "normal" cruise control mode. Any suggestions?

8. Bgmacon

Bgmacon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i Heart Radio...........according to my car information, I am supposed to get i Heart Radio, but how and when??? anyone have it?

9. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Manual says to turn on Radar Cruise, then push the stalk forward and hold for 1 second. You are then in regular Cruise.

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The one gotcha I can think of is that you have to change the mode right after turning cruise control on. If you've Set the cruise control speed in radar mode, you can't switch modes, even if you have cancelled the Set speed. Once you Set speed, you have to turn cruise control off, then on, before you can change modes.

11. mdaltman

mdaltman Junior Member

I was away for three weeks, the 2012 Prius Plug-In tucked away in the garage. When I returned home, car did not start. My daughter used it and must have left lights on, because the battery was dead. Recharged the battery, car started up, and now I get a PCS message on the screen, as well as the Hill-start assist control icon. How do I make this stuff go away? I shouldn't have to call the dealer.

12. mdaltman

mdaltman Junior Member

and I absolutely HATE HATE HATE the fact that the map is always on the screen!!! It IS dangerous to have to keep hitting the audio only to see it briefly before that damn map shows up again.

13. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't assume the lights were left on. I have had this same problem twice. I found that if you leave the car alone for a while (maybe 15-30 minutes) it will not show the errors when you restart it.

14. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you have the Advanced, I believe you can turn this off by setting Auto Screen Change to off. See Premium HDD Navigation Owner's Manual pg. 43-44 #9.

15. mdaltman

mdaltman Junior Member

Your suggestion works - thanks very much.

16. mdaltman

mdaltman Junior Member

LurkAzusa, I tried leaving the car alone for a while, 30 minutes, errors still there. Tried leaving it off for 2 hours, errors still there.

17. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe some electronics got stuck in a weird state from low battery voltage. Perhaps disconnecting the 12V battery for a few minutes then reattaching it to power cycle everything will fix it. I think you lose some stuff like trip info/clock settings when you do that tho'.