1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune Update

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by HPrimeAdvanced, Sep 29, 2017.

1. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    the Entune app pops up by itself and says it needs to connect o the car (or something like that) ... out of the blue for me and I never launch that app myself, I just don't know if this could have possibly something to do with getting the update or what ... just that all of this happened in the last 5 days ...

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    WOW! Embarrassing for Toyota, and frustrating for most Prime owners. It's kinda of a "Let 'em eat cake" appearing attitude; well you should have purchased an Advanced!! Owners might begin to feel that way if Toyota doesn't hurry up and correct the situation. It also would be nice if they had sent out informative emails to ALL Prime owners, prior to the update, since they have all our email addresses, as far as I know from the registration process.

3. Forget the Advanced, more like, well you should have purchased an Extraordinary :ROFLMAO:

4. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't know it had been released yet; thought it was due in late 2018!! Har, har

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got a letter in the mail from Toyota saying they had "noticed" that I have had my Prime for a few months without signing up for SmartConnect. It then told me how to do it. I still didn't. The only way I would is if they promise me service free for life. I don't want to get used to using it and then lose it after the third year is over, and there's no way in hell I'd pay $140 a year for it. I wonder if they'll start calling me like those dummies from XM.

6. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    so updated to iOS 11.01 ... and looking at this thread again ... cellular data use on my iphone for this period is 75GB, so not 100% sure how far back it goes, but, the Entune app has used 24.7MB of cellular data, since I installed it 6 months ago when I got my Prime, I am guessing that # reflects Entune's "lifetime" (no way I have used 75GB of cellular data in 6 month ...).

Having said that, today is my Prime's 6 month anniversary :);):cool: ... still loving it @ ~12.5k miles ...

Prodigyplace and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thing... showed up about 3PM EDT and I let it download and install. Only immediate difference is that the order of the Entune apps on the menu was back to the default and I had to re-order them to put the ones I use back on the first menu screen. (I really like the quick access to sports scores and schedules, and the ability to get recent stock prices with the push of a button both in the car and on the phone when not in the car.)

I have the Advanced trim and use the "charge management" app to check on the status of the car charging. Also, I have an older Samsung smart phone with an older version of Android, so the push notifications could not be set up. (Phone reports that it can't find "xmUniqueID") but I did a work around by setting up an email address for Entune to use which forwards as a text message to the phone. Easy to do if you have an internet provider which lets you create such addresses, but I suppose you could also set up a Gmail or similar account specifically for this purpose.

HPrimeAdvanced and dalcon95 like this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They did, the Plus that has KNOBS!!!

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  9. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh come on, you can break the habit after 3 years. Or just threaten them with your switching to Hyundai if they don't give you free lifetime. I fully intend to stop using Entune after the 3 years if they don't change the program to lifetime; I did it on my PIP. Or maybe they'll have my Prime Coupe Superleggera by then, and I'll move up, if I'm still alive!! It's convenient, but I can live without it, at that price!!

10. Did I even give SafetyConnect any credit card info when I activated it? I don't think that I did.

*checks*

Nope, that part of my agreement is blank. So I'm 99% sure that it'll just cancel automatically after 3 years and you won't get charged. Enjoy the free Prime Apps while you can.

Ah, I forgot how to spin the knobs fast and make the music loud quick, then make it quiet quick again :notworthy:

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there a way I can get the Prime apps without Entune? Entune doesn't have a single app I would ever use.

12. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Apple, iOS11.01 fixes an issue with email using exchange accounts.

13. As far as I can tell, there is no other way. You have to register for Toyota SafetyConnect, then get the agreement number from registering, then download the Toyota Entune app, and in its settings, enter the agreement number. Doing this will then update the layout of the Toyota Entune app to show you the "Prime Apps" within the Toyota Entune app. Eco Dashboard, the climate controls, and charging condition are examples of the button-style "apps" that will appear in Entune.

Unless someone knows of something simpler, that's the process that I had to follow and I don't see one any simpler.

14. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are we talking about an update to the smartphone Entune app (for iOS specifically), or the Entune software in the car itself, which is updated over the air using the phone's Internet connection?

As far as I know, the SafetyConnect phone in the Advanced is used only for telematics, not for software updates. This is supposed to change in Entune 3.0, available on upcoming models.

15. And then after that update will be Toyota Genisys

16. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Entune SW in the car ...

17. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I did register with Safety Connect. It was free and I think it would be good to have an emergency contact number in case it is ever needed. I was able to get all of the Toyota remote features such as charging status, remote heater and AC. They seem to depend on that. I don't know if it is related to software updates.

18. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, I got the "required update" on the car. Now I cannot run most of the apps on the car. Gets "Communication Error. Try again later". Turned the car off/on, rebooted my phone, no change. About the only app that works from the car is Pandora. Most of the apps will work fine from the Entune app on the phone, including the Prime Apps for the Advanced. In the past, launching most of the Entune apps on the phone got a screen saying to use them from the car. Something is really out of sync.

I have not gotten the dealer-installed software update. The service person insisted that there was no such thing, even when I quoted the TSR number, and I gave up.

POS

#38 CharlesH, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  19. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I still have gotten nothing about this. I was gone Tues and Weds so the car was not used. Everything seems to be working as it did before so I am not going to worry about it. Who knew owning a car could be so complicated?

20. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I first got the car, I remember not being able to access my Advanced via Entune on the phone; went through corporate who had their tech people do "something" with software to repair the problem (it dealt with remote access to charge level of the car via Entune). Since this "fix", have had no problems with Entune and remote connection to charge level only takes a consistent 20 seconds to resolve, not the 2 minutes it had taken when it did work. The contact person, though diligent with follow up, nevertheless either didn't know or wouldn't tell me what the problem was or how they fixed it.