1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entunes-iPhone surprise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Big Steve, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have read many threads and took it as fact that Entunes-iPhone only works as USB, not BT.

Well this weekend went through the process wifi off, Entunes app started, USB connected, start car, through apps button started Pandora.

it worked and I took off.

Later, I stopped, shut down car. Took phone with me.

Came back, started car with phone in my pocket, Entunes resumed.

Happened three times over two days. Entunes/BT! Though originally started thru USB.

Am I alone in surprise?

2. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, not really. I have found that as long as you only connect via BT you should be fine. Things get goofy if you connect via USB, meaning getting back to a BT connect is iffy. And by iffy, I mean I have had issues getting the sound to come through my system via BT after previously having the device connected via USB. Everything is connected and working, but no sound. Once that happens I have to do a hard shut down of the iPhone and then manually reconnect (sync) the iPhone BT connection. Then things will work fine from there on. Same thing happens with my iPad. So, unless I absolutely have to connect via USB, I avoid that and only use BT. One more weird thing: I can maintain the BT (re-connectivity) with the iPad and swap between USB with the iPhone and Entune plays nice with both devices. If I try to change to a different device via BT and that device has previously been connected via USB then it rarely works. :mad:

3. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The HDD head unit does not require the phone be connected via USB. It works just fine over BT. The Display Audio head unit requires USB. Both the Four with the Solar Roof and the Five have the HDD unit.

4. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I knew the HDD unit did BT as far as using the phone as phone and iPod. What surprised me was the Entunes connectivity. Benn reconnecting for three days now. Very happy with his development. The Pandora audio quality is also very good!

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well it worked for well over a week (restarting when car restarted, with iPhone in pocket. Yesterday iPhone needed charging so I plugged it in. Pandora almost stopped when phone was recognized under USB. I tried connecting and got "silent" connection. Today, I will start over.

6. smurs

smurs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My understanding is that you can only use the Entune Internet Apps over bluetooth on an iPhone, if you have a hotspot tethering plan. Music, however, always works over bluetooth, even without the tethering plan

7. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you change the audio path back to Bluetooth? Whenever you plug the iPhone into a dock connector of any sort it automatically switches audio to that path.

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you change that audio path on the iPhone? I have the same issues as Steve does. Very frustrating :(

Thanks,
    Mike

Mobile on my Asus

9. Henri Kunemann

Henri Kunemann New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi anyone, i'm new here and just hope i'm in the right forum. I have a new Prius 3gen Premium with all options. I wanted to set up Entune with my iPhone but i could not get the Entune app from iTunes Portugal. Does anzbody know what to do.

10. GruveeGuru

GruveeGuru Moonstone

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I am surprised. I think you just made my day! I am going to see if I can get my prius c to get Entunes and BT to play nice. I hate having to attach the cord. Wish me luck. This has been one of my biggest complaints with Entunes and iPhone.

11. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have an HDD head unit - which means you probably have a 2012 Four or Five - then Entunes works via Bluetooth.

If you have a Display Audio head unit - which means you probably have anything other than a 2012 Four or Five - then Entunes requires the USB cable.

I'm not saying that either works reliably - only that it works, or is supposed to work, or is designed to work that way.

12. MBRGuru

MBRGuru Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    WE0H - Double press the home button, swipe the multitask bar to the right twice. If you have more than one audio path available there will be an icon on the right that you can press to select the Dock Connector or the Bluetooth connection.

WE0H likes this.
  13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Henri,

Ask the Lisbon Toyota dealer if Entunes is released for Portugal.

Rainking likes this.
  14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Excellent thank you. Heading out to test it now :)

Mike

15. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might want to try what works for the iPhone Bluetooth tethering and that is putting the Entunes ID and PWD into the car in the Setup/Bluetooth/List Devices/Edit (path might not be exact but in there somewhere) and there is a VPN/DUNS setup that asks for Entunes ID and PWD. Put that in. It asks for provider. If your provider show sup there OK but doesn't seem essential, mostly giving the car the Entunes ID and PWD. I also put in my ATT ID and PWD.

That seems to allow the car to use the phone's web ability to log on to Entunes independent of the Entunes app running on the phone.

16. Henri Kunemann

Henri Kunemann New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Proximalsuns, once the holiday season over I shall follow your recommendation!

Henri

17. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've looked for that multiple times in multiple places under the Bluetooth setup menu on my HDD head unit, and it's just not there. It must be something that's specific to the Display Audio unit. Can you take a picture of the screen and post it?

18. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What does the icon look like? BT symbol? Speaker? Music? Other?

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall their being an up arrow for a drop down menu so you could select between wired connection and the bluetooth connection. I have given my iPhone to my son and now have a Galaxy Note so I can't look at the phone to verify anything anymore :(

The Note talks to the car flawless so far :) So far...

Mike