1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enviromental Shocker: Wind Farm Kills Thousands of Birds

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Areometer, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wind farms pitch plan to address bird deaths
    Environmental groups: Proposed winter shutdowns aren't enough
    By Matt Carter, STAFF WRITER

Wind farm operators in the Altamont Pass are offering to shut down half of their electricity-producing windmills during the winter to reduce bird deaths and to replace them all with more modern machines within 13 years.

But the proposal, which Alameda County officials will consider Thursday, comes with strings attached. The offer is good only if an environmental group drops its lawsuit over the deaths of thousands of birds.

>> Read More @ The Argus

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not too long ago I saw a TV programme which provided statistics (?) for the extremely large number of birds killed during migration by attraction/distraction of the lighting in windows of highrise buildings throughout the world. Does anyone have a comparison between those killed under those circumstances and those killed by wind farms?
    If you haven't seen it yet I would highly recommend the "movie" : WINGED MIGRATION. We found it at Blockbusters.
    Gary

3. HYACK

HYACK New Member

If I remember correctly, it's estimated that some 35k birds annually could be liquidated by a single farm.

Compare that however, with an estimated 2 million annually in the state of Wisconsin (or was it Michigan) alone, due to CATS! lol :mrgreen: :lol:

Many have heard this crafty argument against wind power before and hence, one could just say, per argument... "Ban Cats first!!" :wink:

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

after washing the seagull shit of the wifes car I say ban birds first. 17 hits from a small flock that took off as she was driving by.

5. HYACK

HYACK New Member

Damn, 17? That was coordinated - definitely sorry - that was no freak accident...

A gull actually nailed (or strafed) me on the sternum last summer at the beach. Wasn't pleasant.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

thinking of taking body shots from them, we have a local plaza that's on the water front ( yuppy puppy ville )and we were sitting there one day having a coffee and blam a gull hits her right on the back of the neck. I don't know what they eat, but it's the stinkiest stuff that ever come out the back end of a living thing. It put her off her coffee and me too after the clean up. Mother nature has some truly nasty creatures out there.