1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I first looked at that article, one of the additional links at the bottom of the page was to this story:

Leitrim farmer wins forestry award
    "The RDS Teagasc farm forestry award category recognises working farmers who use a total-farm planning approach in order to successfully integrate their farm and forestry companies and promote farming sustainability."

This seems quite at odds with what Thoreau was describing.

His and others' observations have been helping shape science -- and farming too, along with other fields -- for several generations now.

The passage of time has very significantly altered the situation regarding the passage I quoted, such that today's circumstances are quite different than when he was writing 170 years. While the problems have not been cured, the context now is most certainly not "unaltered by the passage of time".

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Gizmodo drives today's entry:

3M Agrees to $10.3 Billion Settlement Over Forever Chemicals

Carbon-fluorine bonds are rare in nature, so it is not surprising that microbial enzymes (that decompose everything-the-heck else) are also rare. Fluorocarbons have gained the title 'forever chemicals', but not quite justly. As early as 2013 the topic was reviewed. I wrote a review on microbial degradation of polymers last year and missed that. Ooops. There are more recent studies of fluorocarbon degradation involving UV light (one of our best frenemies). So let us say 'extremely persistent' and not 'forever'. More to the point is 3M's large payout agreement. Article also mentions other manufacturers working toward$ $ettlement$ (but not all are :) )

==
    Two People in New Mexico Have Died From Hantavirus This Year

Rodent-borne hantavirus is clicky because if you get it you are about 1/3 dead already. But there are many other rodent-borne diseases with wider swathes. In general they (and their poops) are bad news. So, a public-service announcement. Little poops with white dots on one end come from lizards. Those not dotted come from mice or similar. I and grad students (er, kids) go to field stations where little poops are commonly observed. Do whatever you want to 'clean up' the dotted ones. For non-dotted ones, use water, put on the face mask you have been carrying around, and wash up after real good. This is not to say that lizards pose no health risks, but mighty mouse leads by a mile.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Merkey likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I naïvely and hastily pitched from my attic a squirrel nest a couple decades ago (and then put hardware cloth over the gable vents, so I haven't had to do that again).

Do they, maybe, like to avoid pooping in their nest areas, or did I just happen to get away lucky?

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty cool, nice wood too

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Human protein consumption (and one might say joy) come from eating animal flesh produced from large agricultural (food-source) areas. It is a big thing and has limited possibilities for expansion, and ag areas have other competing demands.

Many ways to work around that involve plant proteins, fungal proteins, cultured animal cells, and insect proteins as direct substitutes, Today's issue of Nature (journal) has two explainer articles:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02096-5
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02095-6

They do not include more use of insects as animal feed, which is now the largest alternative 'pathway'. It is also the least transformative pathway as it does not decrease sizes of cow, pig or chicken populations.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It may seen that a lot of global high-level conferences occur to explore topics like this:

Global science leaders herald new era of grou | EurekAlert!

I could not dispute that impression. This one involves an organization I am not familiar with. Their bingo card lacks few environmental buzzwords. That sounds disrespectful. Maybe I'm simply sad for not being invited. The real point is that good things do come out of such meetings, but that press releases do not provide much insight into those activities.

Behind the scenes. Vegan sausage making and so forth.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Biologist Blowing Our Minds
    Michael Levin is uncovering the incredible, latent abilities of living things.
    The Biologist Blowing Our Minds - Nautilus

There is talk about frogs, flat worms, and slime molds there.

12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Orchids especially their flowers are pleasing to look at. All the ways they deceive pollinators to 'do it' add spice to the stories:

Sex lives of orchids reads like science ficti | EurekAlert!

==
    As did most other flowering plants, orchids found a way to bounce back after a particularly bad day about 66 million years ago. There is hope to be found in that.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    O to be a flowering plant.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fascinating piece on CBS Sunday Morning today.
    It looks at the success in GB of ‘rewilding’.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    A plant based meat substitute company is doing poorly:

Beyond Meat earnings drop 30% with falling demand | CNN Business

If readers would say how they feel about this topic, we could start a separate discussion. There are good reasons to not run animal fleets for human food.

Have I mentioned before that Earth's 'average human' has 1/6 of a cow and 1/6 of a car? Probably have.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was fond of a local tavern's black bean burger, until they dropped it from the menu in favor of Beyond™ burgers.

I've been buying those (for more money) and they're not bad or anything, but I won't shed a tear if the bean burger has to come back.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never tasted one. i'm always leery of 'new foods'

we've been eating turkey burgers for a long time, and even that is only once a month or so.

when dining out, a beef burger is a splurge.

my problem is chicken, we have it with everything. that can't be good.

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don’t eat a lot of red meat. When I do, it is the ‘impossible’ variety.

For protein, it is mainly chicken. While it is still a ways off, I am very encouraged by the first steps of the lab grown chicken.
    Much lower carbon footprint, and much lower misery.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <MEGA SIGH>
    I remember reading about CO2 runaway and Venus surface temperatures in the 1960s. In the 2000s, I was more interested in cost of driving. So I was surprised that driving a Prius meant being accused of 'being green'.

Curious about this accusation, I took an online course on climate change that gave me technical details but didn't really change my global warming opinion. For a while, I tracked polar ice but that seems redundant now:
    [​IMG]
    Alaska glacier melting fast enough to flood a river and collapse the bank ... two days ago.

Bob Wilson