1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I tried to point out that different physics are involved. Personally I think the most productive approaches:
    • multi-spectral layers - in effect layers designed for specific parts of the solar spectrum.
    • vertical layer conduits - to minimize surface shadow effects, may require multi-voltage, micro-inverters.
    • integrated panels - due to the effects of shadows over partial areas and panel failure, micro-inverters that tie to the panel grid.
    • liquid heat transfer - a significant amount of heat will be generated by the panels so it should be collected to pre-heat the hot water tank and/or space heating.
    Moore's law does not apply to solar power density, different physics are involved, but something like it applies to manufacturing and cell efficiencies. We're a clever species with some success at hard problems.

Bob Wilson

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think liquid cooled panels are coming to market. Should be simple to have it cogen heat and hot water.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Technical perspectives on PV above are really great. I owe some 'likes'. Like youse guys are waiting to benefit from those.

There are applications where higher power density could make a big difference. Others (large open land spaces) are otherwise, and it's all dollars per watt. Perhaps what we will see in the future is application-specific diversification of PV technologies.

I suggested on another thread that countries with high power generation already, are likely to continue doing well. Low-power countries trouble me more. On 'hardware' side, what among available power sources (fossil or renewable) can get increased where?

On the money side, that Green Climate Fund was like the big aspirational way to pay for it all. But realistically, that totally voluntary donation setup would never have grown as intended. With US out of GCF, it will grow slower. What else could be done alongside seems unclear. Fossil-C taxes or tax-like activities still remain local to regional and 'boutique'. Far from universally popular as well.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Just a fascinating little topic so I hope nobody objects:

The Alien Rocks Dusting the Streets of Your Neighborhood | WIRED

Article describes a serious micrometeorite collector. But smaller-scale efforts have been going on for a long time. A big pan of water and a magnet and bam! science-fair project :)

In some areas, soil dust or (eek) combustion particles will be much more common. But that is part of the fun of knowing what is going on.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    book@208. Amazon 'look inside' was worth the effort (for me). Did raise a small question though. Author states atmospheric heating is due to friction. I read that a lot, and it is not the case for larger objects. Instead, air compression in front of object is the heat source. For tiny things I don't know which source prevails.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: micrometeorites. Article says 80% are ferrous.

I had long understood the opposite, only 10-20% of such material was iron based stuff, nearly all the rest being stoney. But the later is much less likely to be recognized as non-terrestrial. There is a strong selection bias in the discovery process, especially in non-desert, non-icefield areas. One probably sees numerous pieces of space stuff without ever knowing it.

#210 fuzzy1, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. wxman

wxman Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In a couple of largely unrelated topics but nevertheless still relevant to environmental news...

- Atmospheric deposition on solar PV panels is significantly reducing the efficiency of the solar panels - http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.estlett.7b00197 (abstract). China is one of the countries most effected.

- Reducing NOx emissions relatively more than NMOG/VOC emissions (i.e., increasing ambient NMOG:NOx ratio) dramatically increases secondary organic aerosol (SOA) production efficiency (Reducing secondary organic aerosol formation from gasoline vehicle exhaust (abstract)). Increasing the NMOG:NOx ratio form 4:1 to 10:1 increases SOA production by a factor of 8. This likely offsets the reduction in nitrate aerosols as ambient NOx levels are reduced with a potentially more toxic form of PM (SOA).

In my opinion, regulators should be/should have been focusing on VOC emission reductions more than NOx emission reductions instead of the other way around.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    when our PV array gets filthy - i get up on the roof & scrub 'em.
    [​IMG]

Not fun, but yea output drops ~10% if they go w/out cleaning every ½year or so. Far from being rocket science.

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Our mayor is giving it a try but like zip-car, not that popular. It might be +90F summers.

Bob Wilson

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tiny particles increase in air with ethanol-to-gasoline switch

"The concentration of ultrafine particles less than 50 nanometers in diameter rose by one-third in the air of São Paulo, Brazil, when higher ethanol prices induced drivers to switch from ethanol to gasoline, according to a new study by a Northwestern University chemist, a National University of Singapore economist and two University of São Paulo physicists. "

wxman likes this.
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius