1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmental News

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Intuitive Machines commercial lander is softly on moon. Its uplink signals are very weak so far. High-gain antenna may be pointed wrong, or something that would interfere with mission goals. 'They' are working the problem.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am 'Jonesing' to see one but experimental, or low serial number units, are notorious for not following a predictable schedule. A Falcon 9 is more predictable.

The three core, Falcon heavy has nearly the same number of engines as Starship. But instead of three wrapped first stages and one wrapped second stage, Starship has only one wrapped first stage and a single wrapped second stage. Fewer parts means a higher ratio of payload to vehicle weight . . . a very good thing.

The one thing I wonder about is why Starship technologies were not used in next generation Falcon 9. Methox fuel and hot staging come to mind.

There will always be a greater number of 'small payload' missions versus riding on the Starship 'bus.' So using an engineering rule of thumb: GOOD; FAST; CHEAP:
    • Falcon 9
      • GOOD and FAST
    • Starship
      • GOOD and CHEAP
    Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "why Starship technologies were not used in next generation Falcon 9. Methox fuel and hot staging come to mind"

Motivations to change technology do not seem compelling. From way out here in the countryside. Falcon works well enough as it is. They have had about 300 launches with that, correct?

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I have been compiling global and regional open databases of climates, soils, soil microbiology, chemical fluxes, tree distributions and biodiversity. I believe I got most, or at least enough. It is amazing in scope. It includes most everything except global forest litterfall and wood turnover. Those are what we would add to list of open databases. Those have been studied in >5000 places (we're still counting) and represent most of what forests 'do'.

Adding these are massive projects. Many peoples' help will be required, and errors in data extraction from publications must be caught and corrected. Somehow. When these databases are developed, they can be use explore questions WRT those other databases already existing. And worker bees get first shot at writing high-impact manuscripts therefrom. This is our incentive, lacking any other.

I and the gang are standing at an interesting precipice :)

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct but these enhancements to Falcon 9 would be useful:
    • Metholox - higher specific impulse when married with an engine designed to use it. Also, less soot in the turbo pumps for faster turn around. The booster blacking would occur more slowly.
    • Hot staging - ~10% more payload
    • Test frequently and small - keeps development costs low for faster Starship enhancements.
    Bob Wilson

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Intuitive Machines turned out to be sideways and has sent a few selfies back, but that may be its total work done on moon. Japan's SLIM is also sideways and woke up after the long cold night. Dun no what it may be capable of.

bwilson4web likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I post few obits here but this was a heckuva guy:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2321318121

He made it to 103 yrs which is notable for anyone. But during those he advanced the field of statistics quite a lot. Selfless, hypercompetent and elegant. He stood in absolute contrast to those who, knowing so little, malign the field of statistics as if it mirrored their sad world views.

#2248 tochatihu, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    Merkey likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    statistically, he was pretty old

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Math in statistics is complicated and hard and much of it is beyond me. Now there exist tools to ease our way, but they do not require users to understand what they do. For my part, I find that journal reviewers with deeper understanding than mine have held the line and I appreciate that. I might generalize to say that lines of statistical inference are being pretty well held. But I cannot in all cases be sure of it.

I would if I could have a Rao - like person looking over my shoulder at every step. But those are in short supply.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lessons learned, land on the moon horizontal, not vertical. Or outsource to SpaceX for propulsive landing.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And they were so confident too

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Genetically engineered pigs for disease resistance:

Gene-Edited Pork Could Be Coming Soon to Your Dinner Plate | Smart News| Smithsonian Magazine

The gene editing does not introduce genomic elements from another species, so it is not a chimera, so there may be no legal barriers. The argument presented against is that pig farms are super crowded. That it would be better to spread them out for lower disease transmission. I have thought on that having seen piggeries. These are social animals, unless they are physically separated they will sleep in piles. A matter of preference. So yes, they can be spread out, but might not enjoy it.

==
    Not enough helium:

Are we really running out of helium?

Point is well made that Earth's core continuously generates helium. If existing mined geological traps are big enough, or could be enlarged, then there would be no helium shortage. Fair enough. But unless or until such adjustments are made, there could be years with inadequate supplies and therefore higher costs. No short term cure is presented.

Serious requirements are biomedical (MRI scanners from which word 'nuclear' has been edited as a scary word). Basic research with nuclear magnetic resonance (visited those as well, you don't go in that room when the magnet is on). Rocketry to keep fuel tanks pressurized as they drain out, and mag lev trains. A few blimps with more in future. Smallest is recreational use I think.

Didja know that one of the Goodyear blimps flies around China? I have never seen it. I live out in the sticks.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Environmental DNA from citizen scientists:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00520-y

This will be interesting. Sorry to see Lake Baikal getting missed it's a heckuva place. Fella in photo has his gloves on which is good unless he touched their exteriors. Ball cap is not good enough to keep human DNA out of sample. Not that citizen scientists are a bad choice, but this is the most persnickety work you can imagine. Project will collect a lot of human DNA, which needs to be dealt with in workflow.

Bunny suits (polyethylene) are cheap and were high fashion earlier in COVID. That's the way to dress for environmental DNA.

15. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    let's not to fail to give a shout out to how well it mixes with argon - for more efficient welding - both commercially & home/farm repair purposes
    ;)

tochatihu likes this.
  17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Good. Welding may beat party (and surveillance balloons :) ) as beneficial.

==
    Just as helium low density makes amusing high voices, argon's high density goes the opposite way. NOT SAFE DO NOT DO. But if you must, give some brisk coughs after because Ar needs expulsion from yer lung bottoms.

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Unhappy news of the day (not including all of it :cry:)

Small scale, activists tree up to prevent Tesla expansion:

Activists occupy German forest to block Tesla expansion

Background. Germany is a very forested country locally loved for that. There may be ways for Tesla to soften this with watershed analyses and compensatory planting elsewhere. But they'd need to hire some Loraxes :)

==

Large scale, Canada Alberta puts the squeeze on renewable energy projects:

Canada's oil-rich Alberta curbs new wind, solar projects

Background. Alberta still does a lot of this. Bribes/inducements/considerations are not getting into the correct hands :eek: Or B/I/C are flowing better from the fossileers.

19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  20. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Musk Starship may fly again on March 14, awaiting final FAA approval (see at Arstechnica or similar). I wonder if our Bob or others are planning to go see the show?

They have not yet static fired first stage this time, which seems to be a thing people expect to happen.